Tacoma TRD Pro vs FJ for pavement traveling

v_man

Explorer
We must be cut from the same cloth ExploreNorthernBC...

Taco is amazing and versatile, but I wouldn't recommend the TRD to anyone (or the SR5 for that matter). A base Taco that is then optimized with better suspension and possible an air locker or two is way less $ for a much better vehicle. The only thing it is missing is intermittent wipers, but that is a $160 plug and play part. Takes 5 minutes to install. Consider what you want your vehicle to do and then go from there. I think the TRD and other upgrades are a waste of $.

a few months ago on a different thread I had nearly the same thought ...

TRD over rated IMO . For the extra 4k spent you get an aftermarket suspension and a computer locking rear diff. Take the 4k savings and put in an ARB and lift , you can get one installed for less than 2k and YOU get to select when you need it , not a computer , plus you get an on board air compressor to air up tires .

The tow package is also a joke . You get an oil cooler , trans. cooler , and a tow hitch . Unless you towing at max capacity everyday those coolers won't even be fully active.

If it was me I'd get a base model V6 , maybe a couple of years old , for around 23k . Then with the money you saved on TRD you put in an ARB, 2 inch lift , winch , and a little bigger tires . Build the truck the way you need it , not the way Toyota thinks you need it .

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
No need to flame, we all have opinions.
I've had Tacos, and have driven the "FJ" extensively on and off road. 100% Taco for me. With a cap/she'll on the back, a Taco is super versatile for camping etc. Toyotas attempt at making an "affordable" Land Cruiser (I think that's what their goal was with the "FJ") was, in my opinion a lost opportunity. I know many here love them, but I find the "FJ" to be more of a street rig.

Flame away "FJ" owners... I got my fireproof undies on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94