Need Opinions on this 4Runner For Slae

BryanCook

Background Info: I am looking to buy a 4WD vehicle for a daily driver and am new to the community. It needs to be able to haul dirtbikes (I have a trailer), camping gear, mountain bikes and tow a car every once and a while (lightweight miata track car).

I am looking at a 2003 4runner SR5 and need some opinions on the pricing and reliability of this vehicle. It is a 4.7 V8 with a factory installed blower, and currently has 121000 miles on it. They are asking 12,900 for it at a used car dealer. The tires are cracking and dry rotted so I will need a new set. I went and drove it a few days ago but didn't get too far because the the front right brake caliper was dragging creating a massive steering shake. They have fixed the issue now, but that has left me hesitant on what other underlying issues there could be.
The pictures make it look cleaner than it is. The plastic is sun faded (expected on 11 year old vehicle). The radio has been replaced and was done not that well.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/4632488201.html

So the questions I have are how reliable are the 4.7 with factory installed blowers and should I be worried about the 120000 miles it has on it? Is that a fair price for this vehicle?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
The 4.7 is extremely reliable. However, I know nothing about a supercharged version. Also, I thought Toyota did not sell 4runners or Tacos with factory superchargers; only dealer installed. Something else to check maybe

Sent via fat thumb

BryanCook

Yea I was thinking the same thing about the wheel bearing. They said they drive it around a lot at the dealership and that was the first they have heard of it dragging. Anybody would have noticed it, when the brakes got hot it progressively got worse. Also I was curious about the factory installed or dealer installed, I asked if they had documentation on when the blower was installed, but they did not.

For that money, fly here to Texas and pick up a clean Lexus or Landcruiser in great condition. Check the craiglist ads here in Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior