Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Terex

Adventurer
I'm having an off-road trailer built. Will weigh about 3,000 lbs. and will be 10' long. Basically a box shape. I have a 2-door Jeep Rubicon and am thinking about getting a Toyota Tundra. I'll be driving it all over the western US, with lots of high altitude mtn. passes, high winds, etc. I'm concerned that a Toyota Tacoma may be underpowered and don't want to wait for the new diesel Chevy/GMC's to come out next year. Upgrading to a Rubicon Unlimited has the same power issues. I know that the Tundra won't be as capable off-road and has a shorter range. I'm looking for recommendations for tow vehicles.

702krawler

Adventurer
3,000 pounds is a lot for an off road trailer. Most of the standard box trailers with RTTs and the off road teardrops usually fall around half that weight. That being said, I can tell you that I had absolutely no issues towing a trailer and RTT with my Xterra (which has a very similar V6 compared to the Tacoma). The one thing to keep in mind is that when offroad, you're likely to be in lower gears (or even 4wd low), so the trailer weight is less of an issue. Either way, I imagine your rather large and heavy trailer will be the primary limiting factor in where you can go, not your tow vehicle.

bjowett

Adventurer
What's your budget? New, used? The Tundra is great vehicle. The 2008 and up Land Cruiser has the same driveline, and will fit in tighter spaces.

robert

Expedition Leader
Cruiser, Sequoia or Tundra. The Tacoma (w/o supercharger) is going to be a dog towing that much; you'd definitely want trailer brakes if you try it.

Terex

Adventurer
Re budget, an older Land Cruiser would be great, but I need reliability out of the box. I don't do much wrenching (I've added a FrontRunner roof rack to my JKR, etc.) and don't have a dealer nearby. I need something that's pretty much plug and play. I know a lot of you guys are great at building and maintaining, but that's not what I do. I don't have tools or time. I'll probably get some mods done (like a winch), but that's about it. I'm keeping my JKR for wheeling, and looking to the new vehicle for moderate off-roading. I just want to get to places off the beaten track.

I'd be fine with the Jeep and backpacking. The trailer gives my wife some of the comforts of home (comfy bed, cassette toilet) and will be a great base camp. Think Australian UEV.

Terex

Adventurer
Cruiser, Sequoia or Tundra. The Tacoma (w/o supercharger) is going to be a dog towing that much; you'd definitely want trailer brakes if you try it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Will def. get trailer brakes in any case. I know a guy who has a similar trailer and an FJ and he complains about power.

Howard70

Adventurer
Does the 3,000 lb estimate include a full load of gear, water, batteries. propane & fuel? If so I suspect it is not as far off as we might initially expect. Advertised weights for many trailers (off road or not) don't seem to agree with highway scales very often and gear/water/fuel/etc. along with off road prep adds up quickly. Our 2004 double cab Tacoma supposedly weighed about 3,800 pounds empty and dry off the production line. Moderately outfitted (bumpers, winch, shell, dual batteries, larger tires, solar panels, fridge, etc.) and loaded with fuel, water, food, camping gear and Magolina for a three week trip she was at 5800 - a cool 2,000 pounds! I'd stick with your 3,000 lb estimate or wait until your trailer is built and get her weighed.

Unfortunately, towing capacities seem to have the opposite relationship with measured weights. All of the vehicles I've owned have had advertised towing capacities 1,000 to 3,000 pounds greater than what they efficiently towed in the real world (one exception was 2002 Subaru WRX wagon). I wouldn't want to regularly tow 3,000 pounds with our 2004 double cab Tacoma. I don't know about the 2nd generation version, but it might be slightly heavy for them as a regular tow. Bjowett's suggestion of a Landcruiser sounds good. A first generation Sequoia might also work?

Howard

ANDYROO

Adventurer
We tow a 1500lb (plus water + gear, so probably closer to 2000lb) Turtleback Trailer with our 2nd Tacoma or 2014 Rubicon Unlimited, both with V6 engines. Both are underpowered on on-road climbs, especially at altitude. Off-road in low gears they pull just fine. With a 3000lb trailer I'd definitely go with a V8.

Andy

Terex

Adventurer
It's 2500 lbs. as built with solar panels, spare tire, two rotopacs, awnings, two empty composite propane tanks and a couple of extra wheels/tires inside (which will come out). Running weight will include water (30 gal.), filling propane tanks, rotopacs, food, one or two bikes, clothes, backpacks, etc. So I'm thinking 3k will be pretty close.

I really appreciate the comments!

mike2100

Observer
The 4.0 Tacoma is just fine for 3000 lbs. Sheesh, it's rated to tow more than twice that amount. I'd look at many other factors if trying to decide between Tundra and Tacoma. Mainly fuel consumption, cargo volume, turning radius and break over angle.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
When I was planning on building a tiny house, I was researching vehicles to move it around with. One that I was considering most was the V6 Nissan Frontier. It's a bit heavier than the Tacoma and has a chunk more power output (261 hp and 281 ft-lbs) than Toyota's 4.0 (236 hp and 266 ft-lbs). The max towing capacities are pretty close (6,300 lbs max for Frontier 4x4 V6, 6,500 lbs max for Tacoma 4x4 V6) but I bet the Frontier would handle a trailer a bit better. The Frontier also seems to cost a good bit less in the used market than the Tacomas.

I agree that the Tacoma V6 would do just fine for that trailer. I'm used to 4-cylinder mills for everything, and I'd do anything to avoid a V8...I don't want that much engine.

On another forum somewhere, they're throwing around examples of what they tow with Tacomas. One guy has a construction business and he regularly puts a small backhoe on a tandem-axle trailer behind the Taco (I believe it was about 7,000 lbs), among other things, and says it does fine.

Last edited:

amo292

Adventurer
I have a 2008 tundra and love it. You wouldn't even feel the 3k trailer back there but the question is can you live with limited access and 12-14 mpgs? I know my limitations off road and they are fine by me. I would probably have a tacoma or a 4 runner if I didn't need to tow a heavy two horse trailer with extended tac.

hksjza70

You could also look for a low mileage 4th gen 4Runner V8. I haven't done any towing with mine, but I load it up pretty good for long road trips - zero power issues in altitude, it's super comfortable, and no maintenance issues (I only have 65k miles on mine).

sourdough

Adventurer
used Gen2 Tundra is a capable truck

My cousin has a 4.0 Tacoma and my friend has a 5.7 Tundra. The 4.0 towed a 16 ft. camp trailer across the U.S. had got 10/12 M.P.G. My 5.7 friend said he averages 15 MPG empty:Wow1:. I recently up graded from a bought new '02 Tacoma Pre runner 2.7L(lucky to get 21MPG) to a '03 4.7 Tundra Limited 4x4 with 57,000 miles(don't like the newer Gen3). I recently finished moving (1250 miles one way) and made 4 trips towing loaded U-Haul trailers @ approx. 4600 lbs. each. I kept it near 55/60 on the flat and limited RPM's to approx. 3000/3200 on hills while towing and ran posted limits when empty. I averaged 11/12 MPG towing, 18/19 empty. I was impressed with, how well the little 4.7 did towing and it's better than the 5.7's average gas mileage. My '03 now has 107,000 and has had no issues and only scheduled maintenance. It's still in excellent condition and has run approx. 10,000 miles carrying a 1500 lb. FWC popup. It's done several of Colorado's 12,000 ft. plus mountain passes with the FWC too.
IMG_2625_zps29fe6f90.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior