"I need a Ford Van Man:

Bronco bobby

Observer
I have been wanting a van for quite some time. It will replace an 03 expedition and will pretty much be my daily driver. I plan to keep it 2wd, and put a lift and some taller tires on it. I am looking mainly at E350 passenger vans so that the seating and creature comforts are in place. I will slowly add features to set it up for dry camping. I have been pricing some in the 04 to 07 range as well as the 08 to 14 range. Are there benefits to a perticular year? I have heard the stability contol on the newer ones can be limiting and I have noticed that the seating has changed as well. I would like to be able to remove a couple seats and use the back as a bed on occasion. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MikeCG

Adventurer
Have you looked at used conversion vans? They are set up decent for overnighter trips already. I have a 2wd 2001 Chevy conversion that I use for overnight camping all the time. The only thing I've done to it is upgraded the entertainment package and add some power converters to it. The rear seats in most conversion vans fold down into a bed. New they can be pricy, but you can get some good deals on used ones. I think it would be a better starting point than a regular passenger van. Though I don't know if you would find one in a E350 or even a 250. I know some of the newer chevy ones are even AWD.

Bronco bobby

Observer
I have done quite a few craigs list and auto trader searches for conversion vans, and don't seem to find many. I have also checked the RV section. Maybe I am not using the right key words. I do want a 250 or 350 for the added tow capacity.

mikracer

Adventurer
Ford stopped putting the rear bench that folds into a bed in like 2000 or 2001. So if you want a bench that folds into a bed, you either have to find one from the salvage yard or someone selling one, or you have to buy an aftermarket one. The conversion vans seems to all have one and if you want all the wood trim and rope lighting, its hard to beat the price of one of those.

I have an 05 E350 Chateau which I really like. It has 2nd row captains chairs and a third row bench. The captains chairs are pretty comfy for the passengers and all the chairs are removable via factory quick release. My plan is to build a removable platform bed that can be used when the rear bench is taken out. As far as the differences from the older vans to the newer ones, I don't think there are very many. The grill is obviously different but most of the drivetrain is similar. In 08+, the E150's got 8 lug so if you don't plan on towing much or weighing down the van with a bunch of equipment, you can get an E150 and still have a solid platform.

Bronco bobby

Observer
Thanks for the info. When the rear seats are removed, does it leave a flat platform or are there brackets which will stick up a couple inches?

philos

Explorer
If you're looking at diesels in CA, you may want to reconsider an older rig to avoid emission equipment/inspections... for the 6.0, it seems that you'll want to remove the EGR system along with some other upgrades to get it to it's potential and to save it from potential destruction. You can't remove any emissions equipment here... Also, some folks will say that the 6.0 is junk and that the 7.3 was the last good diesel they made. I'm less convinced of that, but it is something to consider I think.
Most seem to stick with an E350 in the diesel or the V10...
If you want a UJOINT kit, you'll want 1992 or later.

Bronco bobby

Observer
I had a f250 with the 6.4 and had many problems. I am planning to stick with the 5.4. I have had good luck with the one in my expedition. Besides, I haven't seen many passenger vans with the diesel or the v10. Seems they are usually in the cargo van.

Bronco bobby

Observer
Well my current daily driver is having problems. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a van. Now I am thinking I should go with a LB, as I want to be able to sleep in the back and still have some seating at seating for five. Dang I can't decide. When I am looking for an RB, all I see is LB for a good deal, now it is the other way around. I'm 6-2, is an RB too short for occasional sleeping?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Adjusting your nomenclature might help. The longer Ford vans are most often referred to as "EB", (Extended). I only rarely see people refer to them as LB or Long.

mikracer

Adventurer
In my van (05 chateau), there is about 7 ft from the back of the second row captains to the rear door. As mentioned earlier, the brackets are present with the rear seat removed, but I built a sub floor out of 2x2's and some plywood. Fits perfectly over the brackets and creates a flat floor. You should find some vans on your local CL and take a look at them in person to see if the RB will work for you, or if you want the EB.

mikracer

Adventurer
Mine is an RB. I should tell you that the 7 feet is at the floor level. Because the seat backs angle towards the rear of the truck, you lose some length. Also, mine has second row captains which may differ from the second row bench (not sure which seating arrangement you are looking for). Again, your best bet is to go find one and take measurements yourself and also test it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz