Spacer material between frame and camper?

1aquaholic

Adventurer
What are people using? I need two 10 foot pieces 2 or 3 by 6. Pressure treated lumber, aluminum or steel rectangular tubing, a composite plastic like decking?

j

NeverEnough

Adventurer
When I changed out my chassis from the GMC C5500 to the International 7400, I had to add height to my aluminum subframe. I welded an additional 2"x3"x1/4" tubes to each subframe rail. My actual spacers have always been 3/4" rubber, glued to the frame rails. It's a common alternative to oak spacers on water and other spring-bolted truck bodies.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Aluminum in the size I'm looking for gets really expensive. How long will the oak last will I have to replace it, because that would be a major job, do you treat it or paint it with something?

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Aluminum in the size I'm looking for gets really expensive. How long will the oak last will I have to replace it, because that would be a major job, do you treat it or paint it with something?

I'd contact a local truck body upfitter to find out how often they have to replace spacers. But it sounds like you need to get your camper 6 inches above the rails, which is a lot. I'd suggest a simple steel or aluminum subframe made from tubing and angle to mount your camper to. Then spring bolt the subframe to the chassis rails with a standard oak (or rubber) spacers. There are several examples of spring bolt configurations on the site, and a simple subframe would give you the structure to do that.

dlh62c

Explorer
A piece of oak will do the job. Long U-Bolts will hold it in place

If the truck is a Fuso FG, things get a little more complicated due to the stepped frame.

DSCN0694.JPG

Gatsma

Adventurer
dlh62c- Upon looking at the pic of the frame/subframe in the above post, it APPEARS that the vertical pieces of channel iron are welded to both the frame and subframe, hoping that's not the case as I KNOW you would not do such a thing(or would you?!?). Could you clarify this for me? Things are NOT always as they might appear......;-)

dlh62c

Explorer
The front mount on the drivers side is welded to a frame repair patch.

The truck is a used Fuso FG that I looked at earlier in the year. A patch had been added to repair the cracked frame. The truck has seen a lot of abuse pushing snow. The wooden floor of the cargo body was rotted out as well. On a Fuso FG, body mounting gets a little more complicated due to the stepped frame.

DSCN0693.JPG

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
Don't I know it! I've read the threads regarding various ways to mount stuff on Mitsu Fuso trucks, paying particular attention to those that worked, and those that did not. This one appears to be one that works, in that the load is full supported fully along the length, as John "Whatcharterboat" suggests. Thank you for answering!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne