Going to look at a 2003 double cab Tacoma tomorrow

Warhead

Adventurer
Any tips on what to look for or bargaining tools? This could be my first toyota.
I have owned 9 jeeps but always missed having a pickup while owning a jeep. This will be A true multipurpose vehicle for me, daily driver, Home Depot hauler, firewood carrier and best of all camping/exploring rig.

austintaco

Explorer
Just because it has TRD badges, doesn't mean it is a TRD and has a locker. Check for the locker switch, if that's what you are looking for. Around 100K, the timing belt is due, but many go longer, way longer without it. If you are buying from the owner or have service records, check to see if it was done, or look for a sticker from a shop under the hood.
Have they had the Auto trans fluid flushed regularly and how was it used? always hauling a big load or just a daily driver.
On that note, look for carnage under the truck from heavy hits and hard driving off road.
Tell us some more about the truck you are looking at, and we'll give you some better watch out for's.

austintaco

Explorer
Just a general rule, but check the title for anything odd. Pay for a carfax or other service. Flood vehicles are out there,

Warhead

Adventurer
Has all the service records, one owner. 80k miles, timing belt done @68k miles. Bed is clean with no noticable dents. The thing I am most concerned about is rust/location, and everyone says the stock suspension sucks.

scoolbubba

Get underneath and take a look at the frame rails. They are great trucks, but Tacos are notorious for having rust issues with the frames. Play with the 4WD; echo the timing belt sticker should be on the engine if it's been changed, otherwise be very suspicious. It's not terribly expensive (4-500 bucks for that+new water pump and belts at the stealership), but someone who isn't paying attention to that might not be paying attention to much else.

See if the suspension has been serviced at all. They're great little trucks, so even if you get one that's been a little neglected, beat the seller down over it and put that money right back into making it an awesome DD. I miss my 2004 every time I get in my 2014.

kanger

Observer
Just FYI, expect to pay a pretty good premium for that. The 1st gen Tacomas command a pretty high price used...the fact that it has low mileage won't help. Great, reliable truck tough.

vtlogger

Adventurer
x2 on the frame.. I had what I thought was almost rust free but one trip to the dealer and it was off to the crusher..and mine was 2002
best of luck with it .. I sure miss mine!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94