M100 tub removal - angle grinder, etc.?

rustystruck

Is an angle grinder with cut-off wheels sufficient to remove a M100 tub from the frame? Any particular challenges to doing so? Is there a better method? I'd like to remove the tub by cutting the welds, of which there are around 1,000 apparently.... Thanks!

tarditi

Explorer
Technically possible... but a big hassle.

If it's a rust problem, most just have it media blasted tub & frame

There is an aftermarket tub available, but I expect that this is in the event your tub was shot already.

rustystruck

Technically possible... but a big hassle.

If it's a rust problem, most just have it media blasted tub & frame

There is an aftermarket tub available, but I expect that this is in the event your tub was shot already.

The tub is in fairly good shape compared to those I've seen here. It does need replacement of the lower part of the front panel and a small section of the floor in front (fairly standard, apparently). I was looking at cutting out those two sections. The front panel would get a new piece welded on to cover the hole. I wanted to put in a steel sheet over the entire floor after I POR'd the original floor. With that in mind, would you need to remove the tub in order to get a plate welded correctly over the hole in the front end?

In terms of rust removal, I'd seen so many folks recommend a partial- or full dismantle before media blasting that I assumed it was the best way to go. OTOH cutting the tub welds is going to take a lot of time.

The floor is bent over the frame rails then the tub and floor are welded together to the frame. A cut off wheel makes short work of the welds to pull it apart. I thought it was pretty easy to do. If you are going to media blast and you are replacing the floor I would pull it apart. The way it is put together dirt gets between the floor and tub and tub,frame from the bottom and will continue to rust. Once it is back together a seam sealer will prevent dirt and moisture from getting back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz