Linked vs Braided safety chains

ikk

Adventurer
I currently have a single linked safety chain on my trailer which is loud when ever a hit a pothole or bump on the street. I was looking at getting a braided one to replace the linked one I have. As I only have one I wanted to have two connected to my trailer. Are there any advantages over the linked verses braided. I would think the fact that braided coils it would not hang low as well. should I get the most heavy duty braided chain I can get?

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Just get a shorter chain or wind the chain up like a rubber band to make it shorter when you hook up your trailer.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I switched to safety cables on my M101a2 from the factory chains.
I like that they coil back and come with safety hooks.

Attachments

• DSC05178.JPG
    DSC05178.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC07104.JPG
    DSC07104.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 59

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I have the braided and hate the way they curl up by themselves - makes them hard to handle (especially with gloves on), they tangle on everything. I prefer chains.

grogie

Like to Camp
That's new to me about using braided cables. Do you still cross them like chains? Would they catch the tongue if it popped off of the hitch?

As far as length, I keep my chains just long enough to do their job, so they don't rattle.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
They came on my Manley ORV and I like them, nice and quiet and work well. I was told you still cross them like chains and I believe they would catch the coupler.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have run mine for several years with no problems.
Cross them like chains to catch the tongue if the trailer uncouples.

Attachments

• DSC05286.JPG
    DSC05286.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 81

JPNCA

Adventurer
My dad has safety cables on his Bantom they seem to work ok
I chose to go with 1 long chain that connects to my 416 in the 2 stock mounts then to the jeep in 2 spots
My thinking is if I get in a bind I have a few feet of extra chain
Just my $.02

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I just switched from chains to cables for my safety links. I dropped about 15 pounds in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier