Lets talk about gas storage

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Re: Bigger gas tank, for most of us that would be like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.
The days when you could mail order a replacement gas tank and bolt it on in an afternoon are long gone. Replacement fuel tanks for modern vehicles are super expensive and require a lot of work to install (considering that most vehicles nowadays have fuel injection with pressurized fuel systems, multiple filters and emissions controls, etc.) Getting it to work, to be in compliance with the law and to be safe is another hurdle. I don't know what the exact cost of putting on a bigger fuel tank would be but I'd be very surprised if it was less than $500 and not at all surprised if it was over $1000.
For that matter, I'm not even sure who makes replacement fuel tanks anymore. Again, blame emissions controls and lawsuits but I can't imagine any aftermarket manufacturer wanting to get into that business. If there are replacement tanks, they are probably high-end products ($$$) for high end users.
For most of us "weekend warriors" who just need to extend our range by a bit, the only practical, cost-effective method for carrying 5 - 10 gallons of extra fuel is to find a way to use cans. That avoids all the difficulties of plumbing and emissions control.

brushogger

Explorer
Re: Bigger gas tank, for most of us that would be like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.
The days when you could mail order a replacement gas tank and bolt it on in an afternoon are long gone. Replacement fuel tanks for modern vehicles are super expensive and require a lot of work to install (considering that most vehicles nowadays have fuel injection with pressurized fuel systems, multiple filters and emissions controls, etc.) Getting it to work, to be in compliance with the law and to be safe is another hurdle. I don't know what the exact cost of putting on a bigger fuel tank would be but I'd be very surprised if it was less than $500 and not at all surprised if it was over $1000.

For the FJ I'd be looking at $1400-$1700.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles