Landing leg spring pin M416

Kflash

Adventurer
Hello all! Working on my second M416 (boy I shouldn't have sold my first one!). 1967 version. Ran into a snag. The bend lever that is pulled out to release the landing leg is froze in the out position. I have ordered a new pin and spring. Any thoughts on how to free this thing up. Have been soaking with PB blaster and have tried heating it.

I have been looking at the m416 manual and can't tell how the bent handle comes into play. Does the new "straight" pin and spring get installed and then the part of the pin sticking out the other side get "bent" into the lever shape? Not sure I am making myself clear...

Chris

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Hopefully these will help.

vyjasymu.jpg

u5y3yru3.jpg

a9amurap.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409968520645.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409968520645.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409968538887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409968538887.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409968555655.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409968555655.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 21

Kflash

Adventurer
Yep, that is exactly the animal. Mine is froze in the full pulled out position. I was able to remove plug from the opposite end that retains the mechanism. I am assuming that once the replacement parts arrive, it will be obvious how it installs. From your pics, I think what I need to do is cut off the bent portion of the release handle and drive it back in to free it up. I have been soaking it for days. May apply some more heat. Hopefully will break free.

I am still baffled as the replacement part is a straight rod with a spring. I am assuming that once it is inserted and the retainer plug is put back in place that the part sticking out is then bent into the handle shape. Doesn't seem like something that would have been designed that way, so I am hoping to better figure this out.

The manual doesn't show a bent handle, just the straight pin and spring retained behind the plug.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
You've got it. The long rod is installed with the spring then bent. You do have to cut the old one off to remove it.

Kflash

Adventurer
Thanks! I also saw the one line in the manual that says to straighten out the pin handle to remove. Like you said, I cut it just before he bend and was able to drive it out with a few good wacks. Glad, because it really looked rusted in there.

All new parts come in tomorrow...

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I don't think I could get it straight enough to drive it back out all the way through. When I redo mine I'm going to make a T handle with spring pin so that it is more serviceable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quickfarms

Adventurer
I don't think I could get it straight enough to drive it back out all the way through. When I redo mine I'm going to make a T handle with spring pin so that it is more serviceable.

Why reinvent the wheel. If the pin is pulled one in a while it should not freeze up. A little oil would not hurt.

We used to spray a little weapons oil on the plunger and handle as you move it in and out.

Kflash

Adventurer
The new pin is installed and works great! Will heat and bend in later. The design of that pin area on the casting is really cool! So neat that there are new parts for these old trailers. Ah and yes, I lubed it with some gun oil :) Super slick. Also put a few drops on the brake shoe bolts to keep'em smooth.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Why reinvent the wheel.

Because I like to tinker, have the tools to do so, and enjoy it. I have a NOS landing leg and swivel for my trailer, but I fabricated my own for fun.
Even though I dont need one, I am currently planning to make an acoustic amplification dock for my phone.

In my thread, by spring pin I meant a roll pin, to keep the t handle on the new rod. I'm not re-inventing the way the actuation occurs, just making a t handled version, that can be disassembled and re-assembled without cutting or replacing parts.

Quick rendering; NOT TO SCALE

To go from this
Bent pin.jpg

To this
t pin.jpg

Phone dock concept, for fun
iPhone speaker.jpg

Last edited:

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Are you really making the T handle version?

Eventually. I have a few trips this winter (the nice season here in az) and then I'll be tearing down to re paint my trailer. At that time I'll come up with something. May even just buy a molded or cnc'd handle from McMaster Carr or other place and adapt it.

Just saw this doing a search...like the simplicity.

u3ybu7eh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles