Military S-250 Shelter Conversion

rlrenz

Explorer
Thank You, Sir!

I spent most of my career working with military equipment, and it rubbed off on what I do for myself as well. I've seen too many half-arsed projects over the years to ever tolerate a slip-shod approach on anything I do for myself. Part of it was probably also due to growing up in a machine shop, but the end result is that I like to do things right.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Me too! I'm a retired DoD District Fire Chief, and I was also the communications officer for the Navy Department I worked for. Believe me, I've seen my share of hack jobs also, but anything I do I try to do it right and I do not cut corners, especially on electrical work.

I'm in the process of converting a Type III ambulance into a camper, which is something I always wanted to do, even while I was still working. It has about 3 miles of wiring in it and everything is controlled by relays, so with no schematic diagrams available I've got a fun project ahead of me.

rlrenz

Explorer
Me too! I'm a retired DoD District Fire Chief, and I was also the communications officer for the Navy Department I worked for. Believe me, I've seen my share of hack jobs also, but anything I do I try to do it right and I do not cut corners, especially on electrical work.

I'm in the process of converting a Type III ambulance into a camper, which is something I always wanted to do, even while I was still working. It has about 3 miles of wiring in it and everything is controlled by relays, so with no schematic diagrams available I've got a fun project ahead of me.

Its always amazing how long a temporary fix can stay in service - duct tape, electrical tape, wood screws pounded in with a hammer, paper clips used as battery jumpers (I once saw one being used to adapt a different battery to a car - it didn't work...) - but the problem with a tape and bailing wire job is that is will fail - sometime, somewhere - always at the worst time, in the worst place.

The advantage to relays is that they can be repaired and replaced cheaply - the down side is they can get challenging to trouble shoot. My Medic-Master ambulance was built in 1999, and uses relays. Lottsa luck to someone who bought a Medic Master after they went digital - they were closed by American LaFrance in 2008, so factory parts aren't anywhere. Their digital equipment was made by Akron Brass, and it is still available as an Akron Brass part, but plan on spending $2000 just for a console display, plus extras for anything else. Me? I like a $12 switch and a $4 relay - all available from NAPA or www.fixmyambulance.com. I have a thread going on my own ambulance project - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-RV-%96-The-FAM-BULANCE?p=1608432#post1608432 - check it out for a fair pile of ambulance info.

My toy:
close up.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Actually, I had already read most of the FAM-BULANCE thread but didn't know it was yours. I have now subscribed to it.

I bought a 1993 Wheeled Coach (on a F350 chassis with a 7.3 non-turbo diesel engine, which is almost identical to the Belafonte Reboot Ambo), at a county surplus auction for almost nothing. I was told it was driven into the compound and parked, and had been sitting for just over a year. The rear interior and body are in good shape with no rust on the cab anywhere, and the cab needs new seats, carpet, and some plastic parts. However, the engine bay is a mess! Between the squirrels chewing on things and corrosion from leaking brake fluid, it's not running now.

I had originally planned on just removing everything forward of the rear module (box), cutting the frame, adding a trailer tongue, and turning it into a small heavy duty travel trailer, which I could tow with my 2004 F250 Super Duty PU. But after seeing how nice some of the rigs have turned out on here, especially the ones with UJOR's 4x4 conversion, I'm starting to rethink that. I don't really like fooling with diesel engines, and don't need the added maintenance and expense of a third vehicle, which already has 262,000 miles on it now.

Anyway, here's what I'm starting with. This is it sitting in the compound where I bought it. It looked a little better after I pressure washed it, but it will need a complete paint job because the yard apes that work there scraped off the decals using single edged razor blades, and gouged the paint beyond repair.

IMAG0174.jpg

Once I actually start work on it, I'll start a thread of my own.

rlrenz

Explorer
Actually, I had already read most of the FAM-BULANCE thread but didn't know it was yours. I have now subscribed to it.

I bought a 1993 Wheeled Coach (on a F350 chassis with a 7.3 non-turbo diesel engine, which is almost identical to the Belafonte Reboot Ambo), at a county surplus auction for almost nothing. I was told it was driven into the compound and parked, and had been sitting for just over a year. The rear interior and body are in good shape with no rust on the cab anywhere, and the cab needs new seats, carpet, and some plastic parts. However, the engine bay is a mess! Between the squirrels chewing on things and corrosion from leaking brake fluid, it's not running now.

I had originally planned on just removing everything forward of the rear module (box), cutting the frame, adding a trailer tongue, and turning it into a small heavy duty travel trailer, which I could tow with my 2004 F250 Super Duty PU. But after seeing how nice some of the rigs have turned out on here, especially the ones with UJOR's 4x4 conversion, I'm starting to rethink that. I don't really like fooling with diesel engines, and don't need the added maintenance and expense of a third vehicle, which already has 262,000 miles on it now.

Anyway, here's what I'm starting with. This is it sitting in the compound where I bought it. It looked a little better after I pressure washed it, but it will need a complete paint job because the yard apes that work there scraped off the decals using single edged razor blades, and gouged the paint beyond repair.

View attachment 247518

Once I actually start work on it, I'll start a thread of my own.

One of the problems is that dealers, cities, etc are often required by law to de-ambulanceify (??) a used ambulance that they are selling. When I bought mine in PA, Global Emergency Vehicles was required to remove the siren and any red or blue lights, and to also remove any ambulance-specific lettering. The lettering is normally clear-coated after it was put on, so removing it requires a heat gun, a sharp putty knife, and some skill. A plain razor blade will be a disaster. In my case, a bit of wet-or-dry sanding to remove the build-up that formed adjacent to the letters, plus some more clear coat, should take care of the problem.

With 260,000 miles, your decision on what to do is more complicated than I had - mine came with just over 50,000 miles on the clock - which is what sold me on the unit. If everything else is in decent shape, maybe an engine overhaul or transplant might make sense? Ambulances have fairly stringent maintenance, and the engine might actually be in pretty decent shape. If you're lucky, the ambulance came with maintenance records, but if not, they might still be at the county garage, hiding in a file cabinet. If you can track them down, it might help your decision.

I know another person who is considering making a module into a trailer. He told me that it already has a ground power connection, and he can stick a few deep cycle batteries in a compartment to give him 120 VAC through the existing Vanner inverter. In his case, I believe the vehicle was in an accident, and the truck is junk. If you have a 1993 Wheeled Coach, you are in luck - first, you have conventional components, and second, you can contact Wheeled Coach for the electrical information on your module.

Ambulances are fun - they are totally unique, they are built like a brick phone booth, you can always find it in a parking lot, and you'll probably have the only one on the block. I tell people that mine is my "retirement Harley..."

patoz

Expedition Leader
All these guys were concerned about was removing any lettering that referenced ‘Santa Rosa County, FL’. I removed the rest of it using a heat gun like you said, and didn’t leave a scratch. I was hoping to buff out the paint and get a couple of years out of it, but not going to happen now. All of the electrical equipment is still there, with the exception of the inverter/charger and the strobe pack. These items were ‘liberated’ before it ever went up for auction.

Most of the components are ‘standard’ with the exception of the switch panels, which are modular circuit boards, preparatory to Wheeled Coach. I will probably change those out, because I'll never find replacements down the road if I need them.

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

From ’75 to ’85, I worked part time for a private company and two county ambulance services, including the one I bought the ambulance from, so I’m petty familiar with their construction, maintenance, etc. I've already contacted Wheeled Coach, and they said they don’t have anything on computer that far back, but might have something on microfilm. He said he would check and get back to me. Of course you know how that went since I wasn't a paying customer. Nadda, nothing!

I spent most of the afternoon crawling around underneath mine and under the hood, and found oil leaks, bushings worn out, exhaust system rusted out, brake lines rusted, master cylinder and booster rusted out and leaking, fan belts cracked, etc., etc. This could all be corrected for a price but it’s more than what I want to get into, and I would not consider this vehicle to be ‘dependable’ by my standards. Twenty one years old, and way too many hard miles on it.

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

So, based on what I found today I'm going back to my original plan and convert it into a small travel/bug out trailer with all the quality bells and whistles. The module is all aluminum and stainless, so I'm good to go there. My batteries are already installed in a roll-out tray in the right front corner of the module, so the electrical transition won't be difficult at all. I love Blue Sea Systems and can’t wait to start installing some of their stuff. If your friend who is considering making a module into a trailer has a thread on here, I would love to follow it if you can post the link.

rlrenz

Explorer
You know what you have, and what your options are - and it sounds to me like you made the best choice. You wouldn't have to repair this - you'd have to restore it. Converting it to a trailer will be very straightforward, and you know pretty well in advance what your costs will be.

And that way, you can take advantage of your reliable existing pickup truck to transport your trailer when you need it moved. Sounds like a good plan to me.

My friend works for an ambulance dealer, so he has the advantage of lots of knowledge between his years in the business, and the shop's mechanics. He's also a ham, so the trailer might wind up as a combination ham shack and camper. I'll ask if he plans a writeup - I'll let you know if he does.

rlrenz

Explorer
Well, I guess its time to end this thread - a friend of mine stopped by today to help me move a Bridgeport milling machine, and he saw the shelter. After the usual "What is it?", he asked me what I wanted for it, and it was sold. He'll pick it up next weekend.

He's building a new home about 75 miles from here, and he wants a place to stay if he winds up staying overnight, and to hide from the weather. He plans to use his truck battery to run the LED lighting.

Thankfully, I have a gantry crane in the garage that will pick up the front end, and a die lifter (hand operated forklift) that will pick up the back end, so we should be able to get it loaded without a lot of agony, aspirin, and flammable beverages.

Gatsma

Adventurer
HEY, what's wrong with flammable beverages???!!! OK, OK, I guess a LITTLE sanity is necessary in most situations....
All BS aside, looks like things are coming along on your ambulance! This was a good thread, but all things must pass, and so did this...

rlrenz

Explorer
HEY, what's wrong with flammable beverages???!!! OK, OK, I guess a LITTLE sanity is necessary in most situations....
All BS aside, looks like things are coming along on your ambulance! This was a good thread, but all things must pass, and so did this...

As so many homeowners have learned, you don't give the booze to the sod layers until the job is done - the same applies to any moving crew as well. Flammable beverages are fine, AFTER the loading is done...

Gatsma

Adventurer
Man, you got THAT right; but I couldn't resist a little ribbing! I DID refer to my first sentence above as BS.
I guess the trailer was one project too many, huh?

rlrenz

Explorer
I have so many irons in the fire right now that I feel like a blacksmith on piecework.

Rib away - it makes it all more fun. As I am rapidly approaching legal antique-hood, I learned many, many years ago that I have to laugh at myself - at a certain point, there's nothing left to do. When you drop something, try to catch it, and wind up with a total mess because you drop it a second time - When you drive to the store, and come back without what you needed in the first place - when you mow the lawn with the lawn tractor, and forget to lower the mowing deck (so all you accomplish is a tour of the yard) - when you remember to close the garage door, but forget to close the front door - when the sprinkler washes off the paint you just brushed on - when daylight saving time hits (or leaves), and you and your wife both set the clocks, so they're now off by an hour in the other direction --- all there is left to do is laugh at yourself.

As Will Rogers put it so very precisely:

--Don't squat while wearing your spurs
--Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.
--Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.
--There are two theories to arguing with your wife. Neither works.
--Never miss a good chance to shut up.
--Always drink upstream from the herd.
--If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

All sound words to live by.

Happy trails!

patoz

Expedition Leader
...when you mow the lawn with the lawn tractor, and forget to lower the mowing deck (so all you accomplish is a tour of the yard)...

Yep, I'm guilty! And the bad thing was, I made three laps around the yard before I realized it.

Apparently, the price was right or you wouldn't have sold it, but just think how much more time and space you'll have to work on your ambulance now.

Gatsma

Adventurer
I have so many irons in the fire right now that I feel like a blacksmith on piecework.

Rib away - it makes it all more fun. As I am rapidly approaching legal antique-hood, I learned many, many years ago that I have to laugh at myself - at a certain point, there's nothing left to do. When you drop something, try to catch it, and wind up with a total mess because you drop it a second time - When you drive to the store, and come back without what you needed in the first place - when you mow the lawn with the lawn tractor, and forget to lower the mowing deck (so all you accomplish is a tour of the yard) - when you remember to close the garage door, but forget to close the front door - when the sprinkler washes off the paint you just brushed on - when daylight saving time hits (or leaves), and you and your wife both set the clocks, so they're now off by an hour in the other direction --- all there is left to do is laugh at yourself.

As Will Rogers put it so very precisely:

--Don't squat while wearing your spurs
--Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.
--Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.
--There are two theories to arguing with your wife. Neither works.
--Never miss a good chance to shut up.
--Always drink upstream from the herd.
--If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

All sound words to live by.

Happy trails!
Guilty as charged, probably, at different times, on ALL counts. I figure, I might as well laugh at my self, and join the crowd!
Reading your post above made my night! And happy trails to you too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles