Military S-250 Shelter Conversion

coronan

I'm considering an s250 shelter as a means of an enclosed trailer. Enclosed trailers are so expensive! The only down side is the small door. Has anyone tried widening the door?

rlrenz

Explorer
If you dig into the data on the 250s that's available on line, you'll see how the framing is laid out. In my opinion, a larger door (possibly by using two S250 doors) is possible -- but it may not be very logical. The shelter framing and the skins are all foamed together.

Me? I wouldn't do it.

Look at used shelters, and you might be able to find one that already has a larger door that was designed for a specific applicstion. There are many versions out there.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I have two of these and taking delivery of a third on Sunday. They are super handy if you get one in good shape.

A lot of these have shelves and table like construction inside. While it may be in the way and impractical, when you remove it, the bonus is that it’s all made out of aluminum. Some of it is pretty thick gauge (1/8” to 3/16”) and can be used for other camper construction, specifically drawer or slide out construction.

If you have a M1101 or 1102, they fit perfectly inside. Instant tough as nails camper. Up to 400 watts of solar panels fit on the roof. It’s a fantastic start to a camper build. Puts you miles ahead of starting from scratch. Puts you closer to the finish line than the start.

Plus the 1101’s are the toughest trailer I have ever seen. Galvanized frame, aluminum box. I have two 1101’s and they are hands down my favorite trailers.

Consider the new civilian version of the 1101 starts at $7k (Schutt Xventure I believe). Just sayin.

HAF

The military uses a caoting (paint) called CARC. This chemical attack resistant coating should not be sanded due to the health risk it presents.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The military uses a caoting (paint) called CARC. This chemical attack resistant coating should not be sanded due to the health risk it presents.
Or blasted or anything else that turns it into a dust or small particles unless you take the proper precautions. Steel soldiers website has some pretty good guidelines on proper procedures and protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles