Dual Sport Recommendations for Beginners?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Suzuki Vstrom 650's I looked at online didnt have skids and looked kinda street-ish... BUT, they have great engine specs!

The price tag of $6,699 is quite a bit more than the Kawasaki KLR 650 - I wonder how they match up for real?

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Suzuki vs. Kawasaki: Spec Comparison

2008 SUZUKI Vstrom 650
Displacement: 645cc
Four-stroke, liquid cooled, 90 degree V-twin, DOHC, 8-valves
Bore x Stroke: 81.0 x 62.6mm
Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
Fuel System: Fuel injection
Lubrication: Wet sump
Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
Transmission: 6-speed
MSRP: $6,699.00
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DL650K8/Default.aspx

2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
Displacement: 651cc
Four-stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x Stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Fuel System: Carburetion, Keihin CVK40 carb
Ignition: Fully transistorized
Transmission: 5-speed
MSRP: $5,300
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=161

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I wish we had the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere over here. It would be a great option to consider.

Tenere.jpg

2008xt660ztenereeuracc0xb2.jpg

Last edited:

nickatnite

Observer
TACODOC said:
2008 SUZUKI Vstrom 650
Displacement: 645cc
Four-stroke, liquid cooled, 90 degree V-twin, DOHC, 8-valves
Bore x Stroke: 81.0 x 62.6mm
Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
Fuel System: Fuel injection
Lubrication: Wet sump
Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
Transmission: 6-speed
MSRP: $6,699.00
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DL650K8/Default.aspx

2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
Displacement: 651cc
Four-stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x Stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Fuel System: Carburetion, Keihin CVK40 carb
Ignition: Fully transistorized
Transmission: 5-speed
MSRP: $5,300
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=161

Both bikes are good, for their intended purpose.

The Vstrom is a street bike that has been adapted for offroad use. The nekkid version of the 650 Strom is a KILLER track bike!!

The KLR is thru and thru an off-road Dual Sport bike.

Here ya go, some reading.

KLR Stories from ADV

The new 2008 threadfest

When or if you go look over on advrider.com all of the info you can find for the KLR, KTM or Strom is found under the "Thumper" section.

Plus 50mm ammo cans look wicked cool on the KLR!!!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Doc, as others have eluded to, you'll probably be happier with one of the heavier dual sports. F650GS, KLR, Wee-Strom (650cc V-strom), etc. This summer BMW will have the F650 available with a parallel twin (71hp 800cc). This fall we should see the F800GS.

All are suitable bikes for what you describe as your intended use.

Personally, I'm very happy with my '07 F650GS. For exploring the desert back roads (including the long piece of black top between there my house), it does quite well. As a bonus, I can squeeze 70 mpg out of it while commuting, or I can run down the freeway at 110mph (but not both at the same time), and I don't have to worry about my teeth rattling out (it is a smooth SOB considering it is a single)

If you are looking at singles, I suggest you get whatever you are considering out on the freeway and see how it rides at freeway speeds. Not all singles are built the same. See if the vibration and noise are something you are willing to live with. Again, I'm happy with my BMW, but to each their own. Try before you buy....

Also, pay attention to the peg to bar distance. In the dirt, you will be standing up a lot. If the pegs and bars are to close, you will be hunched over, and not very comfortable. If the pegs are to low, you'll be smacking them on rocks off road and dragging them around all the corners on the street. IF the bars are to high, it can be uncomfortable on the street....to low and you are uncomfortable off road. The bar to peg distance can be adjusted [to a point] with bar risers, different bars, peg relocation, etc.....but it is one piece of the ergonomic puzzle that many people don't consider when looking at bikes.

But in the end, even if you don't end up with the "perfect" bike (and you never will...which is why you should have 3 or 4 bikes...), they are all just plain fun.

:bike_rider:

Andy G

Adventurer
For reliability, idiot-proof simplicity of maintenance, and pure fun, I say go for a KLR650...if you can swing it, score a "new model" '08. I know there are PLENTY of used pre-08's out there - many hardly ridden, lots ridden only on pavement - for a song.

Mods for the KLR, are endless. After market support is endless as well.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
LandCruiserPhil said:
One thing that dualsport newbies should consider is that a light bikes get pushed all over the road in hi-speed traffic and wind. It can be down right scary at times.

Does that mean for somebody buying their first (and for the time being only) bike to get at least a 650 if its going to go anywhere near an interstate?

goodtimes said:
Try before you buy....

When I went into a local dealer they said they don't allow test rides which was a bit surprising but they said that's the norm. It sounds like the only way to try out a bunch of bikes is to go to a bunch of private sellers? Nobody I know has a motorcycle that isn't a Harley.

HMR said:
grahamfitter- Good choice of bikes. I've been wanting to pickup an XT225 for awhile now.

Thanks! This whole bike choice thing is rather overwhelming because I don't know what I don't know. Hopefully I'll feel way more confident about what kind of bike is right when I've taken the class.

Cheers,
Graham

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
grahamfitter said:
When I went into a local dealer they said they don't allow test rides which was a bit surprising but they said that's the norm. It sounds like the only way to try out a bunch of bikes is to go to a bunch of private sellers?

Unfortunately, many places don't allow test rides. I guess they are scared that if you actually rode one before you bought it, you wouldn't like it enough to buy it. Fortunately, when I was looking at the BMW's, I discovered that Iron Horse BMW (tucson) actually encourages test rides, and were more than willing to put plates on anything I wanted.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
goodtimes said:
Unfortunately, many places don't allow test rides. I guess they are scared that if you actually rode one before you bought it, you wouldn't like it enough to buy it. Fortunately, when I was looking at the BMW's, I discovered that Iron Horse BMW (tucson) actually encourages test rides, and were more than willing to put plates on anything I wanted.

Same with the Bimmer bike dealers around SoCal. All you need is a proper bike license and they'll turn you loose. You might also want to see if/when the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show is going to blow through your town. You get to ride a lot of different machines. Even ones you don't even want to buy.;)

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Every BMW and Harley dealer I've dealt with, coast to coast throughout the U.S., will gladly let you demo bikes. In contrast, I don't think I've ever seen a Honda/Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki dealer that allows test rides.

I've never been able to figure it out. I live down the street from a BIG Japanese bike dealership and they say it's an "insurance issue" while a few miles away, the local BMW dealer will toss you the keys to a brand new $22,000 K1200LT and say "have fun". :rolleyes:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
HMR said:
In contrast, I don't think I've ever seen a Honda/Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki dealer that allows test rides.

Arizona Honda (tucson) actually has a short dirt track that they demo their dirt bikes on. I'm not sure if they demo their street bikes or not.

I'd have a hard time buying a bike without test riding it first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior