Dual Sport Recommendations for Beginners?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
They are pretty cool bikes from what I have read (and have a pretty hardcore cult following). At this point I am leaning more towards a KLR650 mainly because of all the aftermarket extras vs the sherpa (at least that is what I have been reading...poor aftermarket for the sherpa..correct me if I am mistaken please).

Probably not as many farkles as a KLR650 but mine had just about every trinket on it that you could...engine guards, rear brake guard, fly screen, KLR 250 front fender, etc etc. Many of the KLR parts are a direct transfer.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I drank the KLR 650 Cool Aid and purchased a nice 2007 a few years ago. I had a great time on it in Moab while on a cross country van trip but when I returned to Delaware which is 99.9% paved, and borrowed a friends Wee Strom for a weekend I realized the KLR is not the bike to own if you spend most of your time on the tarmac. There is a night and day difference between the two. The vibration on my KLR 650 is so bad that a Go Pro camera mounted to the bike will shoot footage that is nearly un-watchable, mounted on the Wee Strom the GoPro footage looks like it was shot by professionals.

I also came to realize that for me the KLR 650 is a little large to use as the trailer hitch tow bike on my van. Basically it just weighs too much. At somewhere around 400+ lbs, loading and unloading it is an ordeal. When (not if) you fall down in deep sand the KLR 650 weighs a lot when you have to pick it back up. I spent a whole afternoon crashing in deep sand at the 2012 King of the Hammers race in southern California and swore that if I made it out of the desert alive my next dual sport would weigh no more than 250lbs.

For my next trailer hitch bike I'm trying to decide between something practical like a used DR350, KLR250, Super Sherpa, or to go all out and get something fast and light like a KTM 500 or 525. My trailer hitch bike will probably see 80% off road and 20% driving to town on pavement to pick up more beer.

Different bikes for different purposes, I think I need at least three.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
well I found me a 2003 KLR650 and brought it home today....pics below...as we all know, pics or it didnt happen!!!

Has 1-5" lowering links. And dropped forks to match
Heated grips
New battery
Lowered seat
Brake light modulator
New plug
Carb just rebuilt
15.5k miles
Doo hickey modified
Auxiliary fan switch
Driving lights

WP_000494.jpgWP_000495.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
I ended up getting this on Friday:

309u2s5.jpg

2000 KL250 Super Sherpa, 67xx miles, one owner, all records....really well taken care of. It's going to be my new exploration vehicle for my possible (probable) move out West. I'll add a link to my outfitting thread when I make it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94