Dual Sport Recommendations for Beginners?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Gas prices are out of control and if I could probably pay for most of a new bike with the savings from the first year's commute.

I am considering a dual sport as my primary commuter (40 miles each way, some 45 mph twisties and some I-15) and would like to have a FUN bike that would be able to hit fire roads and such for some sightseeing. 95% of my time will be spent on pavement (unfortunately), but I would like to be able to explore if I wish :)

I am a mountain biker who grew up riding Honda Trail 70's, CR80's and CR125's as well as other bikes in the neighborhood, and I owned a Suzuki GS750E about a lifetime ago... so it's been a while but I am not afraid of bikes.

Right now, I am lusting over a new KTM 990 Adventure... :drool:

BUT, I don't know enough at this point about these bikes or any other to make an informed decision. I am open to any recommendations and am also considering picking up a used bike as a starter as long as it has the right pedigree (BMW, KTM or even KLR) and has been well maintained.

So, this is a beginners thread for all of us would be dual sport guys who need education.

Let the lessons begin! :roost:

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Based on your post I would recommend a Honda Transalp (62mpg last tank).

I just happen to have one that is slowly becoming officially for sale $3k:sombrero:

PM me if interested

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I'm doing a class next weekend that will hopefully get me a motorcycle license and the same dilemma. I'm not doing this to save money -- the evidence is it probably won't -- but if it does I'll be happy.

I'm a short skinny guy and I think an XT225 or DR200SE would be fine, fun, superbly economical albeit a bit slow. There are a lot more DR650s for sale round here so I might go that route instead.

Everybody I've talked to says pay cash for a gently used bike.

Good luck to you, too!

Cheers,
Graham

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
One thing that dualsport newbies should consider is that a light bikes get pushed all over the road in hi-speed traffic and wind. It can be down right scary at times.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
LandCruiserPhil said:
One thing that dualsport newbies should consider is that a light bikes get pushed all over the road in hi-speed traffic and wind. It can be down right scary at times.

Inexplicably tall DS bikes too:exclaim:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Dave- The 990 is a sweet machine but way beyond what you need. If you're in love with the idea of a KTM (I don't blame you) gently used 950's can be found for "reasonable" prices. However, both the 990 and 950 are 120+ mph dirtbikes- that's rediculously fast for a bike with 8+ inches of suspension travel and their mileage isn't so great for a bike (less than 40mpg). The list price on my 950 was ~$14K. The first time I dropped it I wanted to cry. The KTM "big twins" for all their beauty can also be tempermental and finding a good mechanic in SoCal can be difficult- DAMHIK.

My 950:
51939395_gLPi9-M.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend the Suzuki VStrom 650. Better road manners than the KTM, plenty powerful for I-15, excellent MPG, Timex reliability, very easy to wrench on and surprisingly capable offroad.

My 650 in Idaho:
27438950_fJbcH-M.jpg

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
grahamfitter- Good choice of bikes. I've been wanting to pickup an XT225 for awhile now.

VikingVince

Explorer
LandCruiserPhil said:

X2!!...dave, if you're gonna be taking it on CA freeways, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 550 or 650. I have a KLR 250 and it's great for the way I use it...transport it in a receiver hitch carrier behind my rig and use it to tool around from basecamp...lotta fun. A couple weeks ago I went 5 miles on the freeway, and I knew I shouldn't take a 250 on the 210 freeway but I figured 'oh hell it's just 5 miles'...well, I'll never do that again...I'm staying in the far right lane and a big truck blows by me and I almost lost control...stupid...never again!

nickatnite

Observer
TACODOC said:
Gas prices are out of control and if I could probably pay for most of a new bike with the savings from the first year's commute.

I am considering a dual sport as my primary commuter (40 miles each way, some 45 mph twisties and some I-15) and would like to have a FUN bike that would be able to hit fire roads and such for some sightseeing. 95% of my time will be spent on pavement (unfortunately), but I would like to be able to explore if I wish :)

I am a mountain biker who grew up riding Honda Trail 70's, CR80's and CR125's as well as other bikes in the neighborhood, and I owned a Suzuki GS750E about a lifetime ago... so it's been a while but I am not afraid of bikes.

Right now, I am lusting over a new KTM 990 Adventure... :drool:

BUT, I don't know enough at this point about these bikes or any other to make an informed decision. I am open to any recommendations and am also considering picking up a used bike as a starter as long as it has the right pedigree (BMW, KTM or even KLR) and has been well maintained.

So, this is a beginners thread for all of us would be dual sport guys who need education.

Let the lessons begin! :roost:

FINALLY!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo.....

Sorry, had to soak in the moment... This is finally a thread I can contribute to, since most of you have answered my posts and pm's.

Here is a little background:
June 23, 1975 for my 5th birthday, I started with this:

169634510_K8Nfm-L.jpg

Now then... Fast forward 32 years and here is June 2007:

160090338_joC5D-L.jpg

That pic is my good friend Ted. He decided to do the Ultimate Coast to Coast , starting in Key West and go to Deadhorse, Al. I had nothing better to do for 4 days, so we meandered from Baton Rouge, La down to Key West so I could see him off!!!

Is my bike an "Expedition Bike"? Yup... Sure is..

Riding down BEAUTIFUL Oak Lanes:
86238384_X7qc3-L.jpg

To water crossings:
86431197_yjLxQ-L.jpg

To Civil War Antebellum ruins:

86238611_47QrU-L.jpg

Even to old churches that time has forgot (even took the town off of the map and you have to ride about 20 miles of gravel road to get there) Rodney, Ms. Check out the cannon ball above the center window!!

86238629_pk56t-L.jpg

Plus it likes mud!!!

185697666_SxaYW-L.jpg

What I am trying to say is that I ABSOLUTELY love my BMW GS. It is a dual sport thru and thru!
Now it's a 500 lb pig, but I can do anything on it I want. Put it like this, I work offshore (I'm gone 180 days a year), I still drive my truck, but still manage to put around 10k miles on the bike every year. I've lived off of my bike for several weeks at a time. Jules and I have even taken trips. With the bike FULLY loaded (me/her and the Jesse luggage) if you keep it under 80mph on the Interstate, I avg 40-45 mpg!

Now since you have bike experience, that helps. The KTM 990 is a super sweet bike. You might want to also consider the KTM 950 or even the 640. BMW has the GS 650 and 650 Dakar and just came out with the F800 GS. I also wouldn't rule out the Kawasaki 650 either. A good friend of mine, just 2 years ago, set out from Mississippi, rode to the West Coast, then up to Canada and did the ALCAN 5000 rally (won his division) then rode over to the East Coast to visit his folks and then home. I think Jay went thru 46 States and 4 Provinces? He still has this bike too!
Here is his ride report, WORTH READING

Ok, long story short, come over to ADVrider and check it out. A bunch of stories to be told, several items, bikes to be found for sale in the Flea Market and you can get a plethora of information for any bike.

I hope this sheds some light.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Great replies everyone, thank you! :bowdown:

I love the KTM's and Bimmers BUT, they don't seem to be priced very well in comparison to the new 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 - it's hard to beat with an MSRP of around $5,300 new :)

Lots of refinement for the new model year, strong aftermarket support :bike_rider:

It's my #1 pick right now unless there's something I'm missing.

travel dodge

Adventurer
I think there is alot to be said about having more weight to a bike if you are planing to do any highway. It always amazes me how much a big rig can shake a motorcyle when it passes. I love my KLR 650 and it will be my main transport as soon as the snow melts out a bit more. The other thing I would consider would be a Vstrom. Used for about $5000 you get a comfortable bike that can do it all..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke