OME BP-51 Suspension coming 2015

Box Rocket

Bypass baby, bypass. The BP51 has a large piston (51mm) and more importantly bypass tubes in the outer walls extrusion to allowing fluid to bypass the shocks piston and creating variable dampening. So for small movements it has less dampening i.e. "soft" and for large movements it goes through steps of increasing dampening whereas a normal shock has the same dampening throughout it's entire range of travel. This greatly eliminates or in the case of many overland style builds actually eliminates any want, need and desire for a air bump or similar dynamic bump stop device. In short, better ride and handling.

The adjust-ability isn't so much something you would do for different trips so much as allow you to dial in your preferred compression and rebound versus a one-size-fits-all approach that has to cover so many different vehicle setups and driver preferences as well.

Thanks Kurt. These are still high on my list and I'm really anxious for you to get a set in the shop so I can come check them out.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Hmmm, these look very interesting. Any idea what part of next year they'll be in? I really would love to get something new on the truck sooner than later, but if these are coming along in the early part of next year, it'd be worth waiting to check them out at least.

hilux30

Observer
I wonder how the adjusters function after a winter or two?.. I run OME because they are great "standard" shock that no worries needed for aluminum seizing to itself..

AxleIke

Adventurer
I wonder how the adjusters function after a winter or two?.. I run OME because they are great "standard" shock that no worries needed for aluminum seizing to itself..

A little anti-sieze should help with that. But yes, winters are rough on adjustable suspensions. However, I personally would hope to drive the truck a bunch when the shocks were new, get everything set to my l liking, and then not mess with it again, so if anything freezes up, it wouldn't matter much. Maybe that is wishful thinking though.

terleira

Observer
The way i see it its too expensive but.... 2500$ and in Euros will be even more! I am waiting on the real price tag though!

At the moment i've got a set of Bilstein 5160 series and they are pretty good!!! More "affordable" and perform great! At 1200 € a custom Shock setup specially prepared for your jeep mods, weight and drivability... its pretty hard to beat! Also, i dont think its fare to comment Fox and King without mentioning Bilstein!!!

At those price ranges a set of 9100 would do wonders.

Check this one. i know its a "bit" different in the US but...

TD5 Engine (http://www.td5inside.com/#!td5-info);
Bilstein Shocks 9100

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The way i see it its too expensive but.... 2500$ and in Euros will be even more! I am waiting on the real price tag though!

Where are you hearing that price? That is FAR more than has been rumored based on early production beta.

slooowr6

Explorer
Finally an internal by-pass aftermarket shock. After I seen Ford offer one for the Raptor, I keep hoping someone will make one available aftermarket. Fingers crossed that ARB will have one for 05+ Tacoma.

tonkaman

Adventurer
I'm really hoping to get some of these on the toy. I don't want to be the slow guy while we're out wheeling anymore

jsnow

Adventurer
Finally an internal by-pass aftermarket shock. After I seen Ford offer one for the Raptor, I keep hoping someone will make one available aftermarket. Fingers crossed that ARB will have one for 05+ Tacoma.

ARB definitely has one in the works for the 05+ Taco's.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Where are you hearing that price? That is FAR more than has been rumored based on early production beta.

From ARB Head Office in Oz:

G'day lads, the RRP (Australian east coast metro areas) is as follows:

Shocks $550.00
Coil over assembly $845.00

Vehicle specific fitting kits additional. Fit kit pricing will be available once product becomes available in early 2015.

Cheers,

David

This was posted on an Oz FJ Cruiser Club of Australia forum on 09-16-14. http://www.fjcc.com.au/f36/old-man-emu-bp-51-new-suspension-4204/

Those prices are in AUD $ and are each. Using todays market price that puts the shocks at $444.63 Each and the coil overs @ $683.10 each. That's for a 2", internal bypass shock. You can't really compare these against a regular shock. A fair comparison would be against an ICON OMEGA series modular bypass shock which retails around $838.00 (Non Coilover).

Having just bought my son his first car, a Tacoma I have been really excited about these ever since SEMA. I would use the above quote as more of a ball-park target than concrete, even if it did come from ARB's Headquarters.

I just posted based on Kurt's post. I have now read the entire thread and see that my post pretty is redundant.

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
ARB definitely has one in the works for the 05+ Taco's.
Thanks for the info,
I've found my shocks, not other shocks can handle the weight of the camper. Bilstein 5100 is nice but it bottoms out too easily maybe the end-zone increased damping can help with my bottom out issue.

slooowr6

Explorer
A nice pic of the cut away shock body.
ome-bp51-bolton-bypass-shocks-for-insane-performance.jpg

jeverich

Luddite
Any update on the BP-51? Really looking to get a set for the rear.

Same here.

Contemplating making the jump up to a set of these; especially appealing since they are within the OME family. I've been running a set of "old school" OMEs for about 60k miles on my Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior