The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You're a beast my man...love all the Mitsu projects. Sneaky, I've been really interested in converting to the j-top headlights also, I'd like to know what your source for them is and what's involved in fitting them. Plus, are they really going for $900? :Wow1:

I'll add that to this write up, it costs under $200 for new OEM parts. Sometimes you can get used bits cheap, the actual swap is pretty straight forward. The hardest part is cutting the core support pieces from a donor truck.

JamesW

Adventurer
I love this truck,everything is on it for a reason,and you're not afraid of kicking the crap out of it

I had 2 sets of jdm swb light surrounds that I threw out a month ago,could have given them to a good home stateside

Toasty

One thing i should add, with 4.90 gears and 3.15 gears I found that my crawl ability was much better than stock BUT for certain things i was too low or too high still. The solution was to sell off the Aussie gears in favor of a 4 speed T-case, I'm still debating the 2.72:1, 4:1 and 10.88:1 NP231/NV241 Rocktrac combo or just shell out for the Atlas 4. As much as i'd like an Atlas i can't buy it in pieces like i can with the other combo so that makes it difficult for me. I've built a couple dual case setups now so it's nothing i'm a stranger to, first i built a 231/231 then i did a 231/Dana 20 which ended up going to a friends project i'm working on (1988 Montero, 3.5 DOHC, Dana 44 SAS and the dual t-case). Good stuff...

Toasty

So with all but one of the Chinese bumpers installed i can start back on my own stuff... I lost money dealing with the domestic shipping not much but still a loss BUT it turned out everyone here in AZ buying bumpers from me needed front frame "lifts" to match their new bumpers to body lifts and 2 dudes needed gas tank lifts. So a bunch of labor later i'm back on top and calling the importing a success, I rewarded myself with some chromoly spindles for my new axle as well as all new hardware.

Got distracted with a free hood for the Hilux then i scored some new calipers.

Now with 50% more brakes and 50% less shocks, checking clearances in the driveway.

1103141317.jpg

New shock mounts should be in the mail tomorrow HOORAY!!!!

It's time i got serious, i need to start building the the knuckle assemblies for the '99 now that i have all the parts. Let's hope i don't get sidetracked again.

Toasty

Traded my '98 Montero for this '83 Mighty Max, the plan is big axles and tires with super low gears.

Gone! Drove it 160 miles to trade it for a sweet Mighty Max that had been used as a snow plow for the last 6 years.

1218141655a.jpg

The pickup has a guestimated 250k miles, had to get it running to make the drive home. Removed the snow plow and hit the road for the first time in 6 years! Needs some seats bad, they turned to powder. Runs like a champ once it's warm, 27.5" tires and a 3 speed of all things.

1229141639.jpg

The excitement builds!

Last edited:

Toasty

Pajero J-Top (J-top is a Gen 2 SWB with a soft top) headlamp bezels, I used Gen 1 core support light buckets to hold the lights. This truck was hit in the front and needed lights that i could aim easily since there was damage where the normal Gen 2 light housings bolted up. I was going to do a write up but it slipped my mind.

Toasty

Took the new Mighty Max 4 wheeling on it's 27" tires

0116151012.jpg

Then added some new meats! 31x10.5 BFG A/Ts on Gen 2 Montero wheels with 1.5" of lift

IMG_20150119_102531.jpg

More wheeling and camping with StokerExplosion! Both trucks did fantastic in the snow, good times were had

IMG_20150126_080351.jpg

A new front skid plate and finally ditched the camper shell

0209151001.jpg

Then i got nutty again, sold my '78 Lancer GT Turbo on a whim and braved the fog (uncommon in Az) to deliver it 200 miles away before buying an '89 L300 on a gamble that it even existed, was in good condition and i could time everything perfectly to make it happen.

0201150744.jpg

Luckily it did exist, was complete and in good shape. Forked over the cash from the Lancer sale to an interesting hoarder and now i am the proud owner of a 2WD USDM L300 Passenger Van aka Wagon aka Starwagon aka Delica. Loving it so far

G0060265.jpg

This weekend things are happening again! IncorporatedX gave me his '83 Mighty Max, it's a basket case with rain water in it's headless motor, the interior is thrashed and someone cut the wiring harness off at the firewall. Perfect for my monster build plan, now i won't have to feel bad for cutting up a nice Gen 1 mighty max Plus now i can sell my good Mighty Max for project money! Yay trucks!

(In the background of all this excitement Ernesto built my new front 3rd member for my '99, i pick it up today and then i can assemble the Rock Assault axle!) SAS! SAS! SAS!

Toasty

IMG_1681.jpg

Sold the grey '83 Max and bought this '82 ('83 year model) to accept the goodies from the Truggy, HOORAY windshield!

Also I'm down to just two 4x4's! Maybe i'll get them to be more awesome being able to focus time and money more directly.

Anybody need a Delica? :) debating if that was a good purchase for me since I just started school and it sucks up more of my time than expected. (I'm almost 30 so it's been a while since I've had to prioritize school)

CoronaMan

Dude ive really enjoyed this entire thread and have so much respect for your work and the job you do. I had a question about the reconfig of the rear shocks on the 99 Montero. I have a 99 Montero limited and want to incorp a lift using new springs but didn't think about the shocks. Can you go into some more detail about the result of adding new springs and the effect that has on the shocks and the mod you incorporated to the shock mounting. It would really help me understand this. I'm just getting into the idea of installing new tires, 33's with a spring lift but still don't understand all that entails.Thanks and keep up the good work....

Last edited:

Toasty

You can run the uprated springs on stock shocks, if you want more suspension travel you'll need to rework the top mount/tower. Otherwise if you want stock travel at a higher amount of lift you need to adjust your bump stops and run a slightly longer shock. For example lets say you lift 2" that doesn't equate to a 2" longer shock, what you'll probably end up using is a 1" longer shock from there you need to flex the truck out and move your bumpstop down to stop the axle before the shock bottoms out. Clear as mud?

CoronaMan

Yeah its muddy to me......can you clarify?? You were running 35/12.5's on your 99 monty and I want to run 33/10.5/15 on stock wheels on my 99' and incorporate a 2" lift. I'm just not sure what if any suspension mods id really need. I guess that would depend on the type of roads I travel?? Ive read BFG AT's in the size I stated would have no rubbing issues but that's just rubbing issues. That brings me back to the suspension issue if any. I would like to avoid the body lift using spacers and achieve the lift with taller springs for the 2 inch lift in the rear and crank the torsion bars in front.

CoronaMan

got a particular supplier for the rear springs?..... I'm going through information overload reading as many forums as time permits and this first hand info is priceless..

Eric M

Adventurer
You should definitely be able to accommodate 33x10.50R15s on your NL without changing the suspension. I have 31s on mine and they look tiny. From looking at the rear bump stops, I could ride on them and still not rub the fenders with a skinny 33. I think I read 33x12.50s will rub on some steering parts, but I don't know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz