Dropping Gas Tank in LR3

SDLR3

Observer
Me and my friend went out for some fun on Sat. I will put some pictures up later. I just got some Tactical Rover sliders and we went to an area that needed them. I also intended to buy Gas Tank Skid and Transfer Case Skid but Erik didn't have them ready. Well, I must have come down on a pretty good rock because I crushed in my gas tank. Fortunately I did not puncture it. Anyway I will look to find one in a salvage yard and replace it. How easy is it to drop the tank? Will any year fit? While I am in there should I put in new fuel pump and level sensors while I am at i?

Once I do this is there anyone in San Diego who would want to help for beer? I only buy good stuff.

Dan.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm a bit far away to offer any wrenching help, but I do believe British Recyclers up near Sac has an LR3 they are parting if you're still looking for a tank.

SDLR3

Observer
I'm a bit far away to offer any wrenching help, but I do believe British Recyclers up near Sac has an LR3 they are parting if you're still looking for a tank.
Thanks Don, I found one for an '08 for $450 in Los Angeles. I want to find out it includes the level sensors, etc. I might pick that one up.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks Don, I found one for an '08 for $450 in Los Angeles. I want to find out it includes the level sensors, etc. I might pick that one up.
I think I paid $500 for a new one back in 2006.

The tank is very easy to drop. It's only held up by that flimsy steel stirrup that Land Rover calls a skid plate. The fuel pump is nearly impossible to service, though I know one person who did it. He must have eyes at the end of his fingers, and arms like like guy:
Plasticman_by_Benjaminjuan.jpg

I agree with Getlost4x4. It's quite possible you can reform the tank simply by charging with compressed air.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I think I paid $500 for a new one back in 2006.

I agree with Getlost4x4. It's quite possible you can reform the tank simply by charging with compressed air.

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT put pressurized air into any tank not rated for compressed gas. You can hurt or even kill yourself doing so. The thin flat walls of a gas tank will not stay flat when pressurized the tank will want to turn into a sphere and that is when it will come apart with incredible force.

Even if you get clever and regulate the pressure from a compressor down from a standard 90-100psi you would be asking for trouble if you tried to reshape the tank. Combined with any remaining fuel and you could be having a very bad day.

pgoodrich

Observer
Dan,
I would be willing to help your wrench on the LR3. Always looking to network with fellow LR3 owners who off road them.

Pm me.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
I've dropped my fuel tank skid a couple of times to pound out the dents. Used some straps fished up between the tank and the skid to keep the tank from falling. My bet is if you pound out the skid, the tank will pop out on a hot day with fuel in it. Mine did. Hopefully you didn't damage the fuel sensors.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDLR3

Observer
Dan,
I would be willing to help your wrench on the LR3. Always looking to network with fellow LR3 owners who off road them.

Pm me.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will PM you. I will probably do this in a few weeks, headed to Rover Rendezvous this weekend and have my kids the following.

SDLR3

Observer
I've dropped my fuel tank skid a couple of times to pound out the dents. Used some straps fished up between the tank and the skid to keep the tank from falling. My bet is if you pound out the skid, the tank will pop out on a hot day with fuel in it. Mine did. Hopefully you didn't damage the fuel sensors.

I might give that a try as well. Cheaper alternative if it works.

SDLR3

Observer

I gave this a try today. Got shield off and the tank didn't look that deformed. I used straps and jack to hold tank up. I pounded the shield back into shape. Re-installed looks to be working. Thanks for the suggestion, saved me $450.

Dan

I gave this a try today. Got shield off and the tank didn't look that deformed. I used straps and jack to hold tank up. I pounded the shield back into shape. Re-installed looks to be working. Thanks for the suggestion, saved me $450.

Dan

I have needed to do this for over a year and I think I'm finally going to get around to it this weekend. Were there any gotchas or was this a straightforward operation? Is this a one-man job or should I have a buddy help?

Thanks! I appreciate the tips.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I also ask the question about a one person task. Certain that it helps that there is almost no fuel in the tank. Is there a drain for that operation?
Based on your post I am thinking that the fuel pump is inside the tank and can only be replaced by removing the tank. Correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles