DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looking good! I'm definitely going to be looking at that trans cooler as well. You've done some great work.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dmski

Adventurer
Cheers! Thanks for the kind words! Your rig is looking great as always and the places you have been with it are inspiring. So far after two weeks on the cooler and 1 week on the fan I'm very pleased. No temp data unfortunately but by feel it is significantly cooler after heavy loads, traffic, or off-road.

Dmski

Adventurer
Hey all. Question for anyone out there. Have people heard of the micro start battery starter? I have yet to have a problem with the battery starting but I have in past vehicles. The micro start seems like a good solution to battery problems in remote locations. If you're in the backcountry or at a ski resort by your self I have had that thought every once in a while and just pray that I don't have an issue with batteries.I know there's dual battery set ups which is an option but overkill unless I am running a fridge or winch or multiple accessories at once which I don't usually do. Or there's something like this which is a portable charger. If anyone has had experience with this please let me know I'd like to hear your feedback.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yes I do own one, it is a great thing to have for piece of mind. Also recharges any electronic device quickly Which is very handy when a navigation tool or camera goes dead. There is large thread on here some place. Overall very favorable reviews. Plenty of videos on Youtube as well that prove there effectiveness at starting cars. The reviews on Amazon.com don't lie. I run a fridge and winch, bought the largest Diehard platinum I could stuff under the hood haven't had any issues since. However, having the micro jumpstarter battery just in case is a huge benefit and would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks Silver Dude! The more I read, the more I'm impressed and seems like a completely worth while option. Plus you can take it any car and charge practically anything you would need while out on the road!

Dmski

Adventurer
Plasti dip is addictive:p I decided to dip the hood which at the current time is all form and no funciton since I have no light bar up on the roof. But I wanted to see what it would look like.

I'm looking forward to installing my rear light bar by Insain fab as well as the CB setup. I'm still looking for tires and soon sliders.

Dmski

Adventurer
Rear light bar by Insane Fab finally got installed today along with the LED light. A few last little wiring bits and it will be ready to go!

The truck is in skiing mode right now and has been nothing but reliable! I am starting to look into a few upgrades, being mainly suspension, tires and rock sliders (which in my opinion are way past due). One thing leads to another with modifications so I'm working on planing to get the most out of the rig and not "over build" for what my intended purpose and needs really are.

In other news, I ended up selling my little Ex500 ninja to buy this sv650. Fuel injection and V twin is a seriously awesome upgrade from carbs! It just rolled over 9k miles and I did a full tuneup and refresh and man is it fun! Hoping to enjoy the twisties and do some light touring during the summer with this!

outback97

Adventurer

The truck is in skiing mode right now and has been nothing but reliable! I am starting to look into a few upgrades, being mainly suspension, tires and rock sliders (which in my opinion are way past due). One thing leads to another with modifications so I'm working on planing to get the most out of the rig and not "over build" for what my intended purpose and needs really are.

Nice Xterra! I just did the bypass myself and your photos will be helpful if/when I add a transmission cooler.

Are you still looking for sliders? There's a group buy on thenewx for sliders (and a bunch of other stuff) from Insain Fab. I think you're a member there, so you should be able to see the Group Buy if you're logged in.

Dmski

Adventurer
Very cool updates! I like the way that hood looks with the matte black on it.

Thanks for the comment! I'm liking the matte black and its subtle enough with the car being blue to not be a nuisance. It actually does work with sun glare (and I'm sure if I had roof lights it would help minimize glare there too).

Nice Xterra! I just did the bypass myself and your photos will be helpful if/when I add a transmission cooler.

Are you still looking for sliders? There's a group buy on thenewx for sliders (and a bunch of other stuff) from Insain Fab. I think you're a member there, so you should be able to see the Group Buy if you're logged in.

Thanks, its always a work in progress! Let me know if you need help with the cooler install and I'll get you more pictures when you get to that point.

I did see the group buy over there which has me seeing dollar signs going out the window:) I couldn't believe how good of a deal the rear bumpers were which is killing me since a combo of bumper and sliders isn't going to be cheap. I'll likely do the sliders there but have been dragging my feet since I do have access to a fab shop where I can design my own stuff. However, the price Insane fab is showing is very competitive and by the time I source the metal, spend time to build it and powder coat it, I will easily be close to his price. Sliders just aren't as cost effective to build on my own, especially since I'd like to build it to be bolt on. Weld on would be a whole different story.

outback97

Adventurer
Thanks, its always a work in progress! Let me know if you need help with the cooler install and I'll get you more pictures when you get to that point.

I did see the group buy over there which has me seeing dollar signs going out the window:) I couldn't believe how good of a deal the rear bumpers were which is killing me since a combo of bumper and sliders isn't going to be cheap. I'll likely do the sliders there but have been dragging my feet since I do have access to a fab shop where I can design my own stuff. However, the price Insane fab is showing is very competitive and by the time I source the metal, spend time to build it and powder coat it, I will easily be close to his price. Sliders just aren't as cost effective to build on my own, especially since I'd like to build it to be bolt on. Weld on would be a whole different story.

Thanks for the offer on the photos, I appreciate it!

Yeah, it would be easy to spend lots of dollars on that group buy. The bumpers are tempting but for now I'm sticking with just the sliders. I don't have the tools or skills to do something like that but even if I did I can't imagine it being that much cheaper to DIY.

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer on the photos, I appreciate it!

Yeah, it would be easy to spend lots of dollars on that group buy. The bumpers are tempting but for now I'm sticking with just the sliders. I don't have the tools or skills to do something like that but even if I did I can't imagine it being that much cheaper to DIY.

I'm with you there. Finally decided to pull the trigger on that group buy. Officially ordered sliders in bare metal! I'm going to bedline them myself to save a little coin. I do like the powder coating but I figure it will likely get dinged and damaged and I want to be able to touch up the paint.

I'm still hunting for a used engine skid, but since my search has been coming up with very little, I'm beginning to think it may just be worth it to pick up a new one or build my own.

Dmski

Adventurer
Added this to my off-roading kit. Antigravity xp-3.

I'll let everyone know how this thing works on jump starting the car and charging various things. I left the light on again and killed the battery luckily near enough to a populated area that I could call AAA but with no one around it could be pretty terrible to run a battery flat. It was enough to make me look into this little guy.

Dmski

Adventurer
Nice! I've heard good things about the XP-10 as well and have heard these little guys are pretty sweet. I'll have to give it a try and see how it does before I actually get into a situation where I need it but I feel pretty good knowing there is at least an alternative to getting the car started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles