DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice! I've heard good things about the XP-10 as well and have heard these little guys are pretty sweet. I'll have to give it a try and see how it does before I actually get into a situation where I need it but I feel pretty good knowing there is at least an alternative to getting the car started.

That was my solution to not wanting to run dual batteries. Just get the XP-10 and a decent battery.

Dmski

Adventurer
Quite a few things have been done over the last couple of weeks to the X! What I thought was the beginning of a troubled battery was actually my battery terminal connector. Completely rusted apart so I opted to replace it with a marine grade brass terminal connector. Much better! Of course this issue would happen right before a day trip but it was a quick 30 minute fix, mostly involving cleaning and removing old contact points/bolts.

In other mods, I finally installed the antenna for my Baofeng UV5-R. Time will tell how this holds up and whether the range was improved. I'm not expecting too much, but its certainly better than the antenna being on the inside of the car.

I also installed the CB finally. Its been a pull off from an older vehicle and has been on my to do list for quite a while. Mounted it in the center console for an out of sight approach. It works well and is paired with a larsen antenna on an NMO mount on the hood.

Also used 2 1/4" exhaust clamps and shovel mounts for the roof rack mounted shovel. So far this has been a great mod that cost very little.

And of course, a few shots from a recent trip. I've mentioned before tires and a lift are now priority numero uno, and I've officially moved tires to the top of the list... The trip introduced more mud than expected, and the stock tires just weren't cutting it. Plus the life in them is now much more limited and will need to be replaced in the next 10k miles from my guess. So sadly the lift will be put on hold, and tires will be brought in first. Now, 255/75/17's or 285/75/17's is the real question...

A few other things that were done and were either free or relatively cheap were the fire extinguisher placed in passenger door cup holder spot (fits snugly there), installed my used rock chip guard/bug deflector on the hood, put pens in the "pen holder" in the center console (genius idea!), put a hidden key on car. Next up is some quick and dirty DIY highlift mounts, rear diff breather and an oil change and brake bleed.

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Tall and skinny! I like it haha! I actually saw a set of BFG MT's floating around used on craigs in that size and was temped. Not sure I wanted that skinny of a tire though.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Tall and skinny! I like it haha! I actually saw a set of BFG MT's floating around used on craigs in that size and was temped. Not sure I wanted that skinny of a tire though.

It's less than a half inch skinnier than stock size....

Dmski

Adventurer
True that it is technically only a 1/2" skinnier than stock, but the 255/80/17 is nearly 2" taller than stock tires so they are more like pizza cutters. I'm considering between the 255/80/17 and a 255/75/17, and likely will go with the 32" tire over the 33" since it makes a little more sense for onroad applications as well as offroad.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
True that it is technically only a 1/2" skinnier than stock, but the 255/80/17 is nearly 2" taller than stock tires so they are more like pizza cutters. I'm considering between the 255/80/17 and a 255/75/17, and likely will go with the 32" tire over the 33" since it makes a little more sense for onroad applications as well as offroad.

This true, that is the stock rubicon tire size, might be able to find a really cheap set of take off BFG MTs off a Jeep

Dmski

Adventurer
This true, that is the stock rubicon tire size, might be able to find a really cheap set of take off BFG MTs off a Jeep
Hopefully something will turn up. There area few options out there that come with wheels/tires and aren't too bad. I just found a set of Goodyear duratracs that apparently have 80% tread but in the larger flavor of 285/70/17 or 33's with a load range D. I'm taking a look tonight and depending on how used they are I may hop on them since they were listed for a great price.

I've heard good things about the duratracs but I have yet to actually ride in someones rig with them so don't know really. Anyone have these on their rigs? I thought Stioc may have had them at one point but he changed tires so often I lost track:sombrero:

jhberria

Adventurer
I'm running duratracs on my Xterra, albeit in the 265 C load range flavor. 2nd truck I've had them on (not same tires, just type and size) and I have no complaints with them. I got them for the snow in the northeast, but they've served me well the past couple months in the desert southwest, as well. They ride well on the road, and really are remarkable off road. You will want to rotate them religiously, though. In the rainy pacific northwest I think they'd be a good choice for you.

Dmski

Adventurer
I'm running duratracs on my Xterra, albeit in the 265 C load range flavor. 2nd truck I've had them on (not same tires, just type and size) and I have no complaints with them. I got them for the snow in the northeast, but they've served me well the past couple months in the desert southwest, as well. They ride well on the road, and really are remarkable off road. You will want to rotate them religiously, though. In the rainy pacific northwest I think they'd be a good choice for you.

Thanks for the input! If you had good luck with them in the snow that is good to hear. At 285 I'm worried I might be floating on top of the snow a little bit but at the same time I think it might be worth taking a look. How many miles have you been able to get out of them? I'm fine with rotating so long as they have semi-decent where characteristics. Since I'm mostly on road with about 15 to 20% of my driving being in snow or dirt The where is kind of important. I know we all wish we could be in dirt 24/7 but that isn't reaistic for my daily driven rig haha!

jhberria

Adventurer
On my first truck, a 2006 trailblazer, I got about 40k miles out of a set, and then took them off and sold them for $350 when I sold the truck. Obviously they still had quite a bit of life left in them. My current set on the X have about 16k miles of them, including a cross country road trip and several hundred miles of abuse off road in northern NY, Vermont, and the Arizona rocks. They are wearing very well with rotations every 3-4k miles and a good alignment. They air down well, considering they're c-load, and hold up well on the rocks. I really want 285s (33 inch duratracs) but I can't justify it right now because I haven't found anywhere I want to go that I can't with the 32s.

And yes, they were great in the lake effect snow of northern NY. They were designed for snow traction, really.

Dmski

Adventurer
That's what I'm looking for! Ideally I'd get myself a set of 32's like you since I don't really have a need for 33's but I had to take a look at the set on Craigs to see if they were worth it. Talk about a deal getting 40k miles out of them and still managing to sell for $350! They were worth the money right there!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have heard reviews both ways, but if they are for a good price then I wouldnt hesitate to get them, providing its int he size you want. You can always re-sell them for what you paid after a few months if you dont like them

Dmski

Adventurer
I have heard reviews both ways, but if they are for a good price then I wouldnt hesitate to get them, providing its int he size you want. You can always re-sell them for what you paid after a few months if you dont like them

Good point I always try to look for maximum life, but they are just tires so if they don't fit the bill I can always pull them off and sell them. Out of curiousity, I gave les schwab a call to see what a mount, balance and new valve stems would cost and it was about $120. Is this pretty standard? Can I get away with not buying valve stems or would that not be wise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles