DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

Dmski

Adventurer
Finally got my Engo SR10k winch installed tonight. It went into the ARB bumper fairly easy. It actually fit with the solenoid box on the back with room to spare. Only concern would be debris and moisture affecting it in this location but I'll leave it for now. I like the configuration, spools nicely and isn't very loud. I did have to drill two new holes in the roller fairlead as it was not going to match the ARB bolt locations. Time will tell if this winch is worth it, but so far I like it.
6udTkmH.jpg

Installed:
bOV9vzy.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Finally got my photobucket nightmare all sorted and can upload photos again.

Went out last weekend to Tahuya. I met up with my brother and Albatrosscafe and had a blast wheeling the ORV park and seeing some of the new obstacles they have put in there. Dereks rig is a beast! Envious of his list of mods and would love to eventually get there one day.
H4UcdH3.jpg

fNPC3hw.jpg

ljwpKV4.jpg

9tf5QDc.jpg

4MToH0A.jpg

qfeHVFU.jpg

pI19lH3.jpg

TpLUrwo.jpg

cfX64vn.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
I was tired of digging for gear and having my boxes slide around in the back of the truck. This worked out really well. Built myself a rear storage setup. Design parameters that were important to me:

1. Low enough profile in back
2. Drawers to reduce clutter and be easy to get to stuff when I had a ton of gear piled in the back
3. Flat top with storage wings on either side
4. Have the option to build in a sleeping setup in the future
5. Maintain the lower storage compartment
6. Mount to the unistrut channel in the truck
7. Look decent enough

I ended up building the whole thing out of 5/8" plywood and used some free southco latches from work, and 100lb drawer slides from rockwell hardware and bolted it to the floor using 3/8" unistrut inset mounts. All in it cost me $80ish dollars and works well. I still need to build a sleeping setup that I have an idea for, carpet the box, as well build the small side storage compartments using some free hinge material and leftover wood.
LEbGFNu.jpg

2wPzl8X.jpg

qZuFXov.jpg

2HUdsiM.jpg

6neIfMA.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Last edited:

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Ah man, where were you in Ohio? Hopefully it wasn't too close to me here in the NW part. That snowshoeing trip looks like it was a great time. Keep on posting your adventures for me to drool over.

Dmski

Adventurer
Ah man, where were you in Ohio? Hopefully it wasn't too close to me here in the NW part. That snowshoeing trip looks like it was a great time. Keep on posting your adventures for me to drool over.

I was in Cleveland for the week! It was pretty cold but overall a decent trip. Glad to be back in the PNW to get some more trips under the belt though!

Dmski

Adventurer
Well, the Titan Swap has happened! Started Thursday night and I've been basically working non stop all weekend and in the evenings up until last night when I was able to do a test drive. I would be lying if I said I wasn't anxious about this process, as this is my daily driver... A huge round of thanks to my understanding fiancee, parents for borrowing the garage and TNX members @Glamisdude, @AlbatrossCafe, @jeffnjm3, @Lizardking and others for taking the time to answer my many questions on their setups. Wouldn't have been able to gather the right info without them testing the waters themselves. That's why this forum is awesome!

First impressions:
Initially I was like holy balls this thing is tall (sat at 39.75 front and 41 rear). Luckily it settled to 37.75" front ground to fender and 40" rear ground to fender. Droop up front is measured at 41.5" which is basically full shock extension and when my Rough Country UCA's hit. Hub to fender is at 23" so basically 4" over stock and likely still to settle a tad. No binding anywhere else. I was able to garage align the truck decently and it took two rounds of bleeding the brakes to get the pedal feel back. It drives really well, although I've noted that my ABS doesn't seem to kick on unless I really slam on the brakes (think there is air in ABS system) and my rear end is rather high which is causing vibrations from 28-35mph even with a 3 degree shim.

Things I still need to accomplish:
  • Get real alignment
  • Fix ebrake cables (they are all plumbed and somewhat work, but when both mounts near the spring and joiner for the ebrake handle are connected, the ebrake is tensioned too tightly)
  • Check ABS system and potentially bleed (unsure here still)
  • Drill out front right CV flange bolt that I so lovingly snapped off (long story, but though I cleaned the rust out of the threads and didn't do it enough)
  • Lower rear height (if it doesn't settle)
  • Wire E locker (tested it does work, now just need to run lines)
  • Retorque EVERYTHING
  • Install Extended bumpstops
  • Install 3-4" lift Bilstein 5125's

Now onto the swap. Starting out.
iZAJEKy.jpg

"While I'm in there" phase... replaced hubs, rotors and pads up front.
97ipKBr.jpg

1RsKzwb.jpg

Rough country UCA's in.
WeUBz2X.jpg

Comparison shot. I opted to go with the Tundra Bilsteins with custom top hats and 2013 FJ cruiser springs. Thanks to @jeffnjm3, @Lizardking, @Glamisdude and @jsexton for testing this setup extensively. Their take on it is spot on, and the front feels wider, but drives just like my old lifted OME setup.
k87xR1J.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new. My front diff has given me headaches from the beginning what with being shipped with a snapped flange. Found a replacement and promptly snapped a bolt off in the uncleaned threads (kids, learn from me). Still need to figure this out, but 5 out of 6 should be road drive-able until I can get a chance to drill out and clean threads.
3AuF4Gp.jpg

o7SGE6Z.jpg

Snapped bolt:(
2E15b5m.jpg

LCA, UCA, new inner and outer tie rods and new hub in. Left everything loose to be able to pull the UCA off and get my axle and shock in easier.
jlXpMag.jpg

Tundra Bilsteins in! Note that mine had the green and yellow as driver side coil (longer).
o26B5WV.jpg

Passenger side all buttoned up with new brakes and rotors.
sKolU0j.jpg

Inital height up front. Lawd jesus.
eLAnAB9.jpg

kix8yYy.jpg

The rear axle was thankfully a cake walk. I rebuilt my OME medium duty leaf packs following jeffnjm3's setup using an ebay AAL with pucks on the ends and the HD OME leaf. I have a full drawer setup in the back so weight was sagging the old setup, and this is also perfect for the inevitable rear tire carrier I'd like to try and get down the road. I need to lower it down a hole on the shackles still.

Old axle out.
jxM0KIU.jpg

New axle prep.
iFtcF2R.jpg

Leaf springs rebuilt.
txITE3j.jpg

New axle in.
qz6hC0i.jpg

And how she sat after all freshly installed. Settled quite a bit after driving it.
wDyu6KB.jpg

I will have my entire old setup and diffs for sale here soon which includes the following:
OME medium duty front coils with 1.5" lift spacer
OME rear shocks
SPC UCA's
OEM LCA's
OEM Tie Rods Inner and outer
Rear C200k 3.13 axle without brakes
Front R180 3.13 diff
Front R180 halfshafts
lIJR2Qx.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks man! It’s been a fun work in progress and so much still needs to be done. It rides great now though. Just as good or better ride than previously and way more travel.

Got a little more work done. It is tough when you only have a few hours a week to get the final finishing touches done but I'll get there.

Hit 120k miles so tackled a few house keeping items such as transfer case, front and rear diff (500 mile after break in fluid swap just to ensure my diff's are good) oil change, air filter, etc. Still need to decide if I want to replace the radiator and put my transmission lines back through the radiator or just do a coolant change.

Today I managed to install my rear rocky road diff skid (impressed with this), as well as my Timbren bumpstops (broke yet another damn bolt on the bumpstop install so I'm having quite a bit of fun here...) and trimmed the fender per @albatroscafe's fender trimming method. Since my tires are nearing the end of their useful life, I may need to retrim once I install some new shoes.

Quick shot of the rear diff armor. I opted to go this route as I wanted the aluminum finned cover for cooling on the diff but needed some protection from going with aluminum. I like how it covers everything.
whTEds7.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
And here she is! Crappy phone pic but it is driving nicely. I've lowered the rear to the first hole on the PRG shackles so its even or slightly lower in the rear than the front to eliminate drive line Vibes. But a custom drive shaft may be in my future...
zkSADHs.jpg

And obligatory mall photo:
stu6IS3.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Updates to come! Was out in the dirt for the first time with the titan swap and it was pretty sweet!

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Got Mud?

@AlbatrossCafe, my buddy nick and I sure did. This was from a recent trip to Stampede Pass area and a good break in run for the titan swap. All i have to say is going the swap route is freaking sweet! Love having a locker and the extra travel. Only downside is the amount of mud I get everywhere...
T1sI9wa.jpg

Some sections were a bit deeper than others. I was waiting for Derek to get through and couldn't get out of the ruts and then got fully stuck when trying to rock back and forth... Sadly we had to wear the cone of shame while getting rescued by a Toyota.
hx9QH95.jpg

lTdAhTV.jpg

Rk1Lb36.jpg

5Z8Etme.jpg

kF8LNI6.jpg

xrG3dxK.jpg

9MVR74C.jpg

C8qmFoL.jpg

0GLnYeR.jpg

PSnX6YH.jpg

A little river crossing:
1MqNnzB.jpg

69JrPr8.jpg

ANMWvCI.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Finally got around to fixing the links. It's nice to be able to modify the first post as well now with the new forum update.

Dmski

Adventurer
Some more fun updates! Repost of the Evans Creek wheeling trip with a few members on here. The titan swap with Tundra coils and FJ springs has been doing quite well! And having a locker has been a god send.
GFo17sy.jpg

kTQA4r1.jpg

PqD34OF.jpg

3qD1LJa.jpg

Da1uTUb.jpg

pnTGHvN.jpg

o2uAy7O.jpg

vum9tFI.jpg

New wheels and tires went on and they are looking mean! Love the new look and the Falken AT3W's and so far have great onroad performance. Can't wait to get them out in the dirt!
jaherm5.jpg

Jt0K3IgDF9Fpj7ufYApWTrxrAdVSTCQQcFKVzHy6zk-0YM_4yeP7nbTjWt6sSwKInuCNN-neGk1IYdmI8B2lBHY1OkmnPeaAX8_ZGR8XA1FlcjY6p-Vr065pXpz5qB_m2jvvfIPmFA=w2400

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles