First time camping with a crawling baby. Any tips?

JasonRedwood

Explorer
We have been camping with our lil boy a few times so far and it was relatively easy, before he started crawling.
He is constantly on the move and I was wondering if you over landing parents have any tips.
Ordered some Carhartt overalls and some moccasins to help protect against the bugs and what not.

fowldarr

Explorer
Best advice: let him get dirty.

Come prepared to clean him up, wipes warm water, etc.

And a playpen with some toys for post clean up activities.

fowldarr

Explorer
Depending on temp, I have found the little propane powered tent heaters to be nice to warm the tent before bedtime, turn it off, and flip it back on if he decides to wake up, then again in the morning before you get dressed. Sorry just thinking about what we have done with our boys.

tarditi

Explorer
Just be very careful around fire (fire rings, cooking grates, etc.) and other hazards (sharp edges on gear, pinch pints, etc.).
Maybe bring a thick blanket for the tent floor too
Get down on his level to see what he can get to

Have fun

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
He's mobile but not fast, yet! Wait a few then get back to us as the grey hairs start popping out for each panic yell into the woods "where are you?!"

Lol

All the above is prudent, adapt your first aid kit for the baby with good rectal thermometer and children's Tylenol and IB.
If your heavy sleepers keep the zippers up high on the doors for peace of mind.

mike the welder

Adventurer
Some people think they are not cool but get a baby leash. Beats calling the Rangers to form a search party for your kid. We used to use one for our kids when we traveled overseas in congested areas, mostly because my children are beautiful ;) and human trafficking being what it is.

ChildLeashWoman.jpg

cram

We've done a few bigs trips now with our crawling but pre-toddler kids.
Best things were - a tent with a big awning that zips up and a porta-cot.

The porta-cot lets you move them around to where you are or in the shade etc but also lets you get on with making camp/dinner etc without wondering if they are playing with a tiger snake, ants nest or eating rocks...
when you can give them full attention, let them crawl around and explore

Maffew

Only time we took our then 2 year old daughter camping, we just rented a larger 6-8 person tent from REI and brought her pack-n-play. She slept all night like a baby and Mom and I could actually sleep without thinking about "where the baby was". I'm now trying to take our now 3.5 year old daughter camping in the fall in OR with a 2p tent. Talk about a challenge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles