First time camping with a crawling baby. Any tips?

green73brc

Observer
Only time we took our then 2 year old daughter camping, we just rented a larger 6-8 person tent from REI and brought her pack-n-play. She slept all night like a baby and Mom and I could actually sleep without thinking about "where the baby was". I'm now trying to take our now 3.5 year old daughter camping in the fall in OR with a 2p tent. Talk about a challenge!

Shouldn't be too bad. We just went backpacking with 3 adults and 4 kids in a REI half dome 4.

Now if you want to actually sleep, well that is a different story :)

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Bring a lot of changing clothes for your baby, you cannot control your baby activities unless you tied him or carry him all the way.

Very true. We also used our campmate lid as a bathtub for the little guy.
By the end of the day he was filthy with dirt. Now at the age of 3 it's more about him "going on a hike".
He'll tend to wonder off with the dogs so it became about one of us keeping him in eye sight. .

WheelsUp

Observer
One of the things I've really appreciated getting once I started taking my son camping is a small adjustable lantern. I use the Black Diamond Moji, it's adjustable from 4 to 100 lumens, and remembers the setting you shut it off at. 100 is bright enough to read bedtime stories, and 4 is nice when you get up for that 3am diaper change or feeding you and only need a soft dim light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles