Outfitting the Expedition Sonic sedan for a cross country move

laylow

Observer
My wife and I are relocating to Colorado from California next month. We're getting a Pod to move most of our stuff, and will be packing up just the basics in my Sonic, and driving out there. We decided to make it leisurely, and take a few days to see the sights. In addition to the usual vehicle prep for a long trip, we just installed a Rhino rack, and a Curt cargo basket, to carry our luggage on. Install was pretty easy, quality of the parts is high, and the clamp system seems to be very secure.

R1v8q6p.jpg

zrYCNLU.jpg

EWdvIbj.jpg

l2F3O4b.jpg

wJgCp6J.jpg

VxUrQHg.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Depending on how much stuff you pack on the roof, your fuel economy will be reduced in a major way. Given the price of gas, I'd suggest trying really hard to ship as much as you can. The rack will make the car more sensitive to crosswinds, and will probably make a lot of wind noise.

I once drove a VW beetle, full of junk and with a loaded roof rack, from sea to shining sea. The trip made wonderful memories, but would have been a lot more fun without the stuff on the roof rack.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Sounds like a great trip. Allow time to tour around a bit and make some stops along the way. Our biggest mistake on trips like this is getting caught up in the schedule. Always more enjoyable when we go with the flow and focus less on the final destination and just enjoy the sights along the way.

We moved from Virginia to Arizona the same way. Used a POD and drove out. Worked well for us. Carried a canoe on top a Subaru across Oklahoma. That was fun!

Sent from personal communicator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier