A challenge to the "lead sled" ADV bikes offered today

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
My X-Challenge is 317 lbs dry (quite a bit more now as I have added several items). 52HP and with an added aux tank I have a 200 miles range. An X-tank can give you 250 miles. I love the bike and won't get rid of it. But they sold very few . . .

Husky TE610/630 - same thing, same low sales
Husky Terra/Strada - a bit heavier, but also discontinued.

I would love to see a bike like what was requested. I wouldn't buy it since I have my X, but some people would. But frankly, I just don't think enough people would buy it to justify it.

Whenever this same topic is brought up on ADVRider (at least annually), even all those clamoring for it end up splitting between those who want a lightweight adventure bike and those who want a street legal dirtbike.

We're a fickle bunch.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the funny part about that article his that he's already riding the bike he describes, maybe he's tired of the 690?

abruzzi

Adventurer
After spending 60k miles all over NA on a 1200, and now on a KTm 690, I can say that the 950 is too big for the fun stuff in Baja, a relative half speed poke on most of the BDR's, and a show stopper in the rain on the Continental Divide for all but the best rider. Just sayin.

It's all about the right tool for the job. I prefer my 640 on single track, and for really technical stuff, even that is too big. However if was riding to the Dempster and back, I'd probably prefer my GSA (1150). There is no perfect bike unless you only ride in one type of terrain. But if I had to pick a single bike to cover all the different terrains and distances I ride (on and off road) it would almost certainly be my 950A (or a 990).

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, that KTM 950 Adventure is a special bike. Ours has a place of honor in the office (actually, right in the office) and still gets ridden regularly. I don't think people realized how incredible the 950 was, until it was gone.

10360446_10152859649603275_6898774573056379031_n.jpg

abruzzi

Adventurer
It's a shame BMW only made it for a year. They kept going with the xcountry--I guess they didn't sell many xchallanges and xmotos.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that KTM 950 Adventure is a special bike. Ours has a place of honor in the office (actually, right in the office) and still gets ridden regularly. I don't think people realized how incredible the 950 was, until it was gone.
It's probably a step down from adventuring in every corner of the world, but it's nice to have you back sharing your knowledge and experience, Scott. You're a most valuable asset to the Portal forums.

Scott Brady

Founder
It's probably a step down from adventuring in every corner of the world, but it's nice to have you back sharing your knowledge and experience, Scott. You're a most valuable asset to the Portal forums.

I am enjoying being home with family. Even walking the puppy has a great reward in life. Three years (mostly away) was a long time to be gone.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I totally agree with the OP. I prefer my adventure riding Motonomad style.

http://youtu.be/Hwoo8XGk4M0

As much as I'd like something like this GasGas,

image.jpg

I suspect I may need to have these guys along,

image.jpg

So maybe Laia Sanz is on to something with her new honda.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I didn't realize the x challenge was so heavy. My camping gear and spare parts is 45 pounds, so I'm still under 300 loaded

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I didn't realize the x challenge was so heavy. My camping gear and spare parts is 45 pounds, so I'm still under 300 loaded

I would imagine with my current setup I'm well north of 350 pounds when you add the rack, protection, softbags, extra tank with fuel, and small pelican on the tail, and then add tools and whatever I decide to pack and it probably approaches 400 pounds. But the bike will cruise down the interstate just fine and the weight isn't an issue the way I ride offroad. The weight doesn't keep me from doing anything I would otherwise do given my abilities. When I'm on a somewhat technical trail, I'm just trying to get from point A to point B and speed doesn't even come into play. What I like is that it will do anything the heavy thumpers will do (KLR/F650/DR), but does it at 50+ pounds less and 10 more HP. But it certainly isn't a street legal dirtbike.
Leftside.JPG

Now, if I had a 250 lb street legal KTM/Husa/Husky/etc, the last thing I would do would be adding racks and bags. That's a backpack only kind of trip IMO. It's also one that probably doesn't include much highway. Unfortunately, my trips always include some amount of 70+mph travel.

It's a shame Suzuki can't invest a nickel and update the DRZ. A 6th gear, and maybe a small displacement bump and FI and it would be a fantastic lightweight adventurers. It already is for some people, but its shortcomings at 60+ ended my relationship with one.

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Fwiw, Austin Vince from "Mondo Enduro" says essentially the same thing about using a smaller bike. Having ridden his DR350 around the world...twice....and then some.

I've lived off my KTM950 for 6 months and have two KLR650s that my wife and I fly out to ride to a new destination, store, fly home.

In some cases the "quality" of the bike is more important than the size. The KTM is "bigger" than the KLRs but it is actually easier to ride some tight technical and fast dirt on! Meaning you have to pick it up less often:coffeedrink:

Don't get me wrong, I'd ride the KLR around the world tomorrow.(.........checking calendar........no......no.....okay....maybe Tuesday).

The point being that it's not all about the size. Simply going smaller isn't enough. They need to be good smaller bikes too!

Unfortunately as we go drop engine displacement on road legal bikes the quality of the design and components tends to drop also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne