A challenge to the "lead sled" ADV bikes offered today

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Meh...

Mostly just sounds like a rant..

He's totally overlooking the Tenere 660 (Fuel Injected) and the KLR650 (not fuel injected) The KLR has been traveling around the world for years.

That's not to say that I don't agree with most of it. I'd love to see the Yamaha 660 Tenere here in the US for sure. It would be nice for smaller guys like me to have something a little more my size.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Personally, I'm looking for even lighter still.

FX Mountain Motos says they have an expedition model planned. Their bare bikes start at 130 lbs, add lights, racks and bump the tank to 3gal (stock 2 gal), still should be under 160 lbs. Uses a 125cc engine based on the Honda horizontal engine, so parts / replacement engines should be available worldwide. Comes with 19" wheels sporting 2.75" tires, not a huge selection of tires available in the US. For world travel I could see swapping to 17" wheel and 2.5" tires, making tires available pretty much everywhere.

Cleveland Cyclewerks is releasing their lightweight FXx. 150 lbs, 110cc Honda horizontal clone, 21" wheels, but no street legal version announced yet.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I obviously depends on the route. BAM Road, then absolutely a 690 or smaller. Ushuaia, then take a big bike with lots of reserve payload, acceleration and braking performance. Trans-America Trail, take the 690 or the KLR.

I like the big bikes, but I am a pretty big guy, so it is all relative. I look like a Circus Bear on a 250 ;)

10015057_10153175602498275_4138963402141833255_o.jpg

600+ pound Moto Guzzi Stelvio

10379935_10152867640923275_1694952339584802377_o.jpg

But! When these things come to a stop, better have some friends along.

10172833_10152747032938275_8610693390511821513_n.jpg

I nearly blew an artery getting this GSA out of the snow

1978861_10152780607403275_4330172967247915785_n.jpg

I just finished a TE630 project. It is nice for the really technical stuff, but honestly, I prefer a bigger bike, even for most trails.

10256661_10152776928443275_3456813352367399360_o.jpg

Having said all that, the KLR is awesome. It really is the best overall value for RTW travel. I really like the new KLR, enough that we got one for a long-term Editor's project for Overland Journal.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My 16yr old son is a great example of why we need something better between 250cc and 650cc.
His DRZ400 is a good bike but it would be nice if it handled the slab better. At least it is light enough he can pick it up off road.
However there are not alot of options in this engine range.

KTM 390 has a price point that causes serious pain.
Not sure what else but at least he is in the dirt!

abruzzi

Adventurer
I do think there are some gaps in the market, but no bike is perfect for all situations. Sometimes the big bike has a lot going for it over smaller bike. The smallest adv bike I have is a 640 adventure, but if I'm not stuck on single track, I'd much rather have my 950.

haven

Expedition Leader
"But when these things come to a stop, better have some friends along."

I think this is the point. If you can't pick the darn thing up by yourself, it's too big.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I do think there are some gaps in the market, but no bike is perfect for all situations. Sometimes the big bike has a lot going for it over smaller bike. The smallest adv bike I have is a 640 adventure, but if I'm not stuck on single track, I'd much rather have my 950.

After spending 60k miles all over NA on a 1200, and now on a KTm 690, I can say that the 950 is too big for the fun stuff in Baja, a relative half speed poke on most of the BDR's, and a show stopper in the rain on the Continental Divide for all but the best rider. Just sayin. I'll give up slab speed and comfort for the true dual sport nature of the 690 every day. Scott's hard bags and racks on that BMW weigh about as much as all of my gear including tools.

Edit: forgot about an epic Alaska trip. GSA all the way ��. N+1 comes into play again. ��

Last edited:

johnpitts01

Getting stuck / Picking it up

That's the overriding factor IMO.

I've used KLR, both old and new versions, Honda XR650L, Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha 660Z Tenere, Yamaha WR250R for adventure riding.
Ridden a KTM 950 and 990 Adventure for test rides, though not the Super Enduro. Ridden the KTM 690 for s short distance.

The 660Z is my favorite of the bunch. Does everything well. Even 2 up exploring on some challenging tracks. Better than the KLR in every situation.
Most importantly I can pick it up. Had some difficulty with a fully laden KLR when it went down.

I use the Super Tenere for the easy stuff and lots of 2 up riding both on paved roads, fire roads and easy 2 track.

the WR is my "Go to" bike if the conditions are unknown. But I cannot consider doing any 2 up riding on the WR.

If we could get the 660 Z in the USA I'd sell my Super Tenere in a minute.
I've explored every possible avenue to import the 660Z. Just no way.

Something like the 660Z is what I'm looking for.

Scott Brady

Founder
"But when these things come to a stop, better have some friends along."

I think this is the point. If you can't pick the darn thing up by yourself, it's too big.

Yeah. I have a few lifts of a fully loaded GSA in me, but it is the getting stuck that makes buddies a requirement. We got off route in Baja and ended up in super soft sand. Just turning all those bikes around was super tough.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yeah. I have a few lifts of a fully loaded GSA in me, but it is the getting stuck that makes buddies a requirement. We got off route in Baja and ended up in super soft sand. Just turning all those bikes around was super tough.

I have put my 300# bike down some slopes that have taken a couple folks, and would have if it had weighted 200#. That is the part that folks who don't ride overlook. Did the WABDR solo last year on my GSA. I dropped it a few times on day two of the WA BRDR (actually quit counting after 6 :Wow1: ). I did love that bike.

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Observations from a complete Noob

At 60 years old, I decided that I had to give dual sport, adventure riding a try. I did lots of research and rode my friend's 1200 GSA and another friend's Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I liked them both and would have bought either one but my funds were too limited to be able to afford two of them as Mo would want one too. I ended up buying a KLR for me and a DR 650 for Mo. Having ridden them for the past six months I have grown to really like the 650 size for me. Mo has had a lot of trouble with her DR. The bike is fine but it is too heavy for her and intimidated her terribly. (NOTE, we come from absolutely no motorcycle experience other than getting a Victory road bike a few months earlier) Once the bike got slightly off balance she could not hold it up and down it would go.

I hate to think of how she would do with anything bigger. I originally thought that a 1200 GSA for me and a GS 700 with a dropped seat and frame for her. That set up would work fine for long distance travel but for travelling two track roads, it would not be a good choice for us. In fact, I have gotten Mo to downsize to a Yamaha XT 250 and I am going to sell the DR 650. So if anyone is interested in a heavily modified, lowered DR I have one for sale. The lighter bikes are fine for us and we will just have to go a bit slower when on the highways. Even with our vehicles though, we always look for the lesser used, slower roads when travelling. So I think we will be fine with the smaller bikes. I also doubt that once in less industrial countries, we are going to have much need for a highway cruiser. Time will tell.

One thing for sure, I wish I had not waited so long to get into dual sports. I look forward to doing some multi-day trips in the near future.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke