Slider door hinge extension tutorial

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I updated the beginning of this tutorial to include the installation process. If you have any other questions, let me know.

jfdrewett

Observer
I ordered this part from MG and the install took about 2 hours. Not hard at all.

Works perfect and very happy now.

Thanks MG :)

Now for the front LED grill ;)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'm rethinking my strategy on the slider hinges since the price of the Ford part keeps going up. It took a while to get to this point but I think I'm ready to order some laser'd/CNC formed parts to test this out.

hinge3.JPG

For the time being I'll still be doing the hinge mods the ol' fashioned way. :)

RyanUsesThis

Observer
Got it! Now to find a moment during the holidays to install it...

10846237_10204417973481231_4826088616151709543_n.jpg

RyanUsesThis

Observer
Did it!

Done. Took the better part of an afternoon, but it's done. Best part is that my old arm's bearings were shot, so I was basically dragging metal on metal to get the door open. Now it opens like buttah.

Pics - RyanUsesThis

RyanUsesThis

Observer
Thanks man! Since the hole for the arm extends past the weather stripping, do you have any suggestions for stopping the wind from getting in? I had some ideas - like gluing a piece of flexible rubber across the whole hole, and cutting a line down the center so the arm can slid through it. Won't seal it up solid, but would keep the leak to a minimum.

Cheers!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Thanks man! Since the hole for the arm extends past the weather stripping, do you have any suggestions for stopping the wind from getting in? I had some ideas - like gluing a piece of flexible rubber across the whole hole, and cutting a line down the center so the arm can slid through it. Won't seal it up solid, but would keep the leak to a minimum.

Cheers!

You've basically described what I plan to do on mine. I've done a lot of cutting on my door throughout the process of prototyping these hinges and I need to rebuild the opening to make it look cleaner. I was planning on a split rubber seal like you've described...I just haven't had time to do it. My door has been this way for a while though and wind/dirt/water hasn't been much of a problem.

BDK9

MG, Are you currently taking any orders for these arms? I work in Afghanistan and have very limited time at home, so fabbing one up just isn't an option for me. Thanks, Kent

devo 1

Adventurer
MG, you're are the man! Mine is done, works great. The stock one had a rubber flap on it. I drilled a hole in the MG one and bolted it.
IMG_20150212_180014498_zpsj4avyjti.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94