Slider door hinge extension tutorial

Desert Dan

Explorer
IMG_0785.jpgIMG_0783.JPGIMG_0068.jpgIMG_0067.JPG

I installed the MG Metalworks Hinge Extension as well. To seal around the hinge I used some thick rubber sheeting on the rear section of the door and some closed cell foam on the inside of the door. I had to cut a fair amount to get clearance for the hinge when the door was open.

BDK9

Ryan, I am looking for new wheels for my '99 E350 as we speak. My shop just finished the install of the extended arm but tells me that 305/70/18 mounted on a 18x9 with -12 offset (4.50" backspace) won't fit. What specs are the rims you are using?

BDK9

Clearance??

Hey guys, looking for input. I bought the extended arm and gave it and my van to my local off-road shop and asked them to hook me up. I'm in Afghanistan, so installing it myself wasn't an option and I wanted to be able to jump in my van and hit the road when I get home for R&R next month. So....

Here is where we are. The arm has been installed, and I getting ready to pick out wheels and tires. The shop did a test fit, using 18x9 wheels with a 4.5 inch backspace and -12 offset. They really don't seem to stick out that far and the door hits them immediately. Looking at the previous pics of the clearance being achieved on other installs, something seems off. What do you think?

Thanks,
Kent

Attachments

• 11349118_721766677945625_1802040315_n.jpg
    11349118_721766677945625_1802040315_n.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 11541112_721766681278958_58757526_n.jpg
    11541112_721766681278958_58757526_n.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 30

RyanUsesThis

Observer
I'm running very similar size rim/tires, but my rims have a -6mm offset... from the looks of your pic you may be getting hung on that extra 6mm?

BDK9

Maybe it's the camera angle, but I just thought it looked like your door was pushed out quite a bit more than mine? My shop is getting ready to try a 0 offset, with a 5" backspace. We'll see how that works.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Since all of the hinges are made in a jig, I think we can say that everyone's door is extended out the same distance. That would mean that something else is different between your van and the others that have made this modification (btw...I'm not trying to deflect responsibility here. I'm willing to help in any way I can even if it means building you a new hinge. We'll cross that bridge if we need to but let's cross other stuff off the list first).

some things to consider:
-Some vans are lifted up high enough where the door clears the tire as it narrows towards the top. On my van, since it isn't lifted very high, the door slides by the meatiest part of the tire. I've installed a hinge on a not-very-lifted Quigley van with similar wheel/tire combo you listed and that door just barely rubbed past the tire because it was sliding past the widest possible spot. I don't remember it having aggressive side wall treads though.
-The side lugs on those tires might be taller than what others have used.
-I've done several hinges for guys with 9" wide wheels with 4.5" backspacing. 5" backspacing will probably get you the clearance you need as long as they work on the fronts as well.

If a different wheel doesn't work, I think there are two options
1) Build another hinge with more extension*
2) Cut a wedge out of the bottom of the door to narrow the thickness of the door. (Bajasportsmobile has done this many times and might have some good pictures of how they do it)

*I chose 2.75" of extension for these hinges because it seemed to work best for all of the factors involved. Going beyond 2.75" starts to get complicated because a lot of material has to be cut out of the door and then the internal structure becomes compromised. If it comes down to it, I can make a hinge with more extension. However my preferred method is to modify the door at the bottom to get the extra room needed if the 2.75" extended hinge isn't enough. I'm going to have to do this on my van when I get new tires because my tire wheel choice leaves me with no other option. That's life with a slider door...

devo 1

Adventurer
The standard bushwacker fender flares clear the door with this hinge. THANKS MG!
4x4%20van%20003_zpsgojk2fmo.jpg

RyanUsesThis

Observer
Slight update. I was cleaning out my garage, and came across the original piece that closes up the gap in the slider door mechanism when the door is shut. I had tossed it aside when I installed the door because it just didn't look like it'd fit anymore.

For giggles I cut out a wider hole to fit the rubber around the new arm, and popped it into the hole where it 'should' go. It was REALLY close to closing the gap still. Within an 1/8th of an inch. Also it was a bit floppy with the larger whole cut out.

I taped it all together with some butyl tape, then hit the hardware store for some magnetic tape. It worked perfectly! It closed the distance to the van a bit, AND it sticks to the door when it gets close. No gap what-so-ever now.

IMG_3867.jpg
IMG_3877.jpg
IMG_3878.jpg
IMG_3921.jpg

Dok

I Really would like to purchase one of these hinges from MG!! (noticed the last posting on this site was nearly 2 yrs ago ) Whats the chances??
I have 96 RB 4x4 w/standard 2" bushwackers so really need to make it happen!!
Did the cad/ C&C program for this hinge develop?
I watched MGs entire AWESOME Cummins swap (totaly inspirational!!) & Ijust purchased MGs " last" set of front Sienna mounts from Ujoint so Ill already have a bit of MGs awesomness in my van but would sure like a bunch more!!! (Like a 6.7 C !?!)
Cant imagine how u find the time for all ur projects!!! But if u cld fab me 1 more hinge I wd b more than delighted!! Id b Honoured
Thanks Sooo much!! for all ur R&D from all of the Vannin comunity!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne