Slider door hinge extension tutorial

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I Really would like to purchase one of these hinges from MG!! (noticed the last posting on this site was nearly 2 yrs ago ) Whats the chances??
I have 96 RB 4x4 w/standard 2" bushwackers so really need to make it happen!!
Did the cad/ C&C program for this hinge develop?
I watched MGs entire AWESOME Cummins swap (totaly inspirational!!) & Ijust purchased MGs " last" set of front Sienna mounts from Ujoint so Ill already have a bit of MGs awesomness in my van but would sure like a bunch more!!! (Like a 6.7 C !?!)
Cant imagine how u find the time for all ur projects!!! But if u cld fab me 1 more hinge I wd b more than delighted!! Id b Honoured
Thanks Sooo much!! for all ur R&D from all of the Vannin comunity!!

There are a few folks who can make these for you. Unfortunately, I don't know when I'd be able to do one of these with my current workload and it sounds like you need one sooner rather than later. I've sent quite a few people to Weldtec Designs since they have done several hinges and sometimes have them ready to ship out.

Thanks for the support and following along with my projects!

Wild Water

Hi there! Brand new on here! Happy to be here. I have a 1997 Quigley Ford E-250. New front end, new rear end, everything shored up underneath. I was wanting to get 35's on there, but, have to do some other mods or different company with A arms, etc. But, while trying the wheel spacers, (which make the van look a whole lot better) and Bushwackers, I encountered the same problem. This is the extended model, and the sliding door hits. I like this van and have a lot invested. I would love to "modify" the slider to accommodate my needs. I would certainly appreciate any advice or help. I'm really intrigued with the "extender bracket". Any help or advice would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to sell or shi**an the van, as it's very nice inside and rides like a dream with all of the updated components underneath. I currently have P 275 on 16's. I would love to go bigger as the time and effort allows. But, the Bushwackers and wheel spacers will not work with the slider. Please direct me to the proper channel. I see there are two outfits or guys on here, and I will get a hold of you if I don't here on this forum. Thanks so much!!!!! Chad

Sorry to revive an old thread; I fully appreciate that it may be easier to call MG or Weldtec directly, but I was curious if anybody could clue me in to how much the amount of slider extension affects the amount of clearance in a length for length ratio? I ask because I read that the Weldtec extension (which I am assuming is based on the the same 2.75” design in this tutorial actually only provides about 1” of extra clearance at the tire.

I am running Toyo MT 35x12.50-17’s on 17x9 AR Bajas with -12mm offset, plus Ujoint’s 2” wheel adapter spacers. These suckers stick way out there, and they have substantial side lugs; I’m thinking I need multiple inches of clearance. Anybody have any thoughts on the amount of length I should add to the hinge initially?

Sorry to revive an old thread; I fully appreciate that it may be easier to call MG or Weldtec directly, but I was curious if anybody could clue me in to how much the amount of slider extension affects the amount of clearance in a length for length ratio? I ask because I read that the Weldtec extension (which I am assuming is based on the the same 2.75” design in this tutorial actually only provides about 1” of extra clearance at the tire.

I am running Toyo MT 35x12.50-17’s on 17x9 AR Bajas with -12mm offset, plus Ujoint’s 2” wheel adapter spacers. These suckers stick way out there, and they have substantial side lugs; I’m thinking I need multiple inches of clearance. Anybody have any thoughts on the amount of length I should add to the hinge initially?
Has anyone weighed in on this yet? I am also curious about how far out you would need to go to get clear and how that might effect the other angles or dimensions of the slider hinge?

Has anyone weighed in on this yet? I am also curious about how far out you would need to go to get clear and how that might effect the other angles or dimensions of the slider hinge?

Hey @SeattleAdventure,

The angle of the slider arm precludes me from making an exact assessment of the clearance gained per amount of slider extension, but it all becomes fairly obvious once you start working on the actual door that 2.75-3.00” really is the limit. I don’t remember now what I did; I think it was 3.00”, but I had to hack the heck out of my door, and still ended up needing to cut the door bottom and sink it a couple inches to clear my tires. If I had it to do over again, I’d have shopped for a barn door Econoline.

Thanks,
Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles