Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

jhberria

Adventurer
Made it out to the Northeast Overland Rally and Workshop this weekend. Great experience, and I would highly recommend it for anyone in New England or the Mid-Atlantic states. I borrowed this photo from the folks at DirtRoadTrip.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Great looking Xterra... The major upgrades needed would be the leafs.. They tend to wear quickly and since you are heavy with the tent id beef that up..

hattrik21

Adventurer
Nice looking truck. I've been running the OME for a few years now and couldn't be happier. No it's not the tallest lift but the ride is very nice with and without a load.

jhberria

Adventurer
So I went ahead and ordered a temporary lift solution (at least for the front). I went with the Nisstec spacer/aal full kit and OME shocks for the rear. This will get me a little higher off the rocks and stumps until I pick up an ARB bumper, then I'll go for the full HD OME coils in the front. Didn't want to bite the bullet on the OME coils yet as I figure the HD coils without the addition of the weighted bumper might produce an undesirable ride (as this is my DD). The deaver AAL with OME nitro shocks should support my RTT and camping gear nicely. Pictures will follow after install, of course.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Great Looking Truck! Not sure how I missed this build thread

Not so far away from me in Upstate NY.

This site look spectacular, haven't made it into the Adirondacks yet

One of my favorite remote camp sites in the Adirondacks:

...and the view from said camp site:

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I notice that you have your tent mounted to aftermarket cross bars. Was it not feasible to mount the tent directly to the factory roof rails? I eventually want to put a tent on my XTerra, so I'm curious if you had any problems.

The Thule website states that their bars mounted to the factory rails are limited to 165 lb of load.

jhberria

Adventurer
I notice that you have your tent mounted to aftermarket cross bars. Was it not feasible to mount the tent directly to the factory roof rails? I eventually want to put a tent on my XTerra, so I'm curious if you had any problems.

The Thule website states that their bars mounted to the factory rails are limited to 165 lb of load.

With the configuration of the mounting rails on the Tepui tent, it would have been difficult to mount the tent on the stock rack configured to open to the side of the vehicle. I could have mounted it to open to the rear, no problem. The Yakima bars also give me a little extra peace of mind as far as load bearing for the 125+ lb tent. I also use the bars to carry my kayak, so its easier for me to keep them up there.

jhberria

Adventurer
Great Looking Truck! Not sure how I missed this build thread

Not so far away from me in Upstate NY.

This site look spectacular, haven't made it into the Adirondacks yet

The northern Adirondacks really are a beautiful place. I highly recommended a visit if you have the opportunity. By the way, Mortonm, I enjoyed your posts on bald eagle state forest. They're part of what drove me to trek down there and explore. Also, I believe I met your brother at the Mid-Atlantic Overland festival back in July.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With the configuration of the mounting rails on the Tepui tent, it would have been difficult to mount the tent on the stock rack configured to open to the side of the vehicle. I could have mounted it to open to the rear, no problem. The Yakima bars also give me a little extra peace of mind as far as load bearing for the 125+ lb tent. I also use the bars to carry my kayak, so its easier for me to keep them up there.

You can swap the orientation of the mounting rails. I did this with my ARB Simpson III and bolted it directly to the factory rails.

I was also at the NEO Rally and I think I spoke with a few of you guys... White 2014 S pkg with 255/85 KM2s

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Tent bolted directly to factory rails

attachment.php

FWIW I'm also running OME HD front coils with no bumper or winch. It's a little firm but it's fine. I actually like it the way it is... but I'm fairly used to driving 1 ton pickup trucks so my firm ride tolerance threshold may be higher.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
The northern Adirondacks really are a beautiful place. I highly recommended a visit if you have the opportunity. By the way, Mortonm, I enjoyed your posts on bald eagle state forest. They're part of what drove me to trek down there and explore. Also, I believe I met your brother at the Mid-Atlantic Overland festival back in July.

haha you are correct, It seems like everyone met my brother down there, although he is pretty hard to miss with a big red jeep and big red beard

jhberria

Adventurer
Got my lift delivered yesterday. Going to install tomorrow. I've never messed with leaf springs before, so it should be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles