Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

jhberria

Adventurer
Great pics! My girlfriend and I have spent a little time around North Cascades NP and Olympic NP and we absolutely fell in love with Washington... We also fell in love with the western side of Montana for that matter :D We really want to move out west in a few years when she finishes up school. Your pictures make me wish we could hurry up and get out there. Thanks for sharing and nice rigs!

Thanks! Living in the PNW is definitely a unique experience. I'll only be here for a couple more years, unfortunately.

Nice photos man! Glad to see you got out a lot this summer.

Most definitely. We'll have to link up for a trip this winter, man.

Awesome man, have always enjoyed your build and looking through your trips. Keep it up.

Thanks! I find myself checking out your build and trips regularly, as well.

Great pics! Love the build

Thanks!

Great pictures!!!

Thanks, again!

Dmski

Adventurer
Let's do it. Anywhere particular in mind?

I despise photobucket with every fiber of my being, trust me. I'm going to fix the photo links eventually, I promise.

Not really sure, I only know of spots off of Highway 2 to be honest... You are south correct? Know of any good spots down that way? I went with David to Capitol forest but it was too early and no snow. I imagine that would be excellent snow wheeling.

jhberria

Adventurer
Not really sure, I only know of spots off of Highway 2 to be honest... You are south correct? Know of any good spots down that way? I went with David to Capitol forest but it was too early and no snow. I imagine that would be excellent snow wheeling.

Capitol Forest is alright, but once the snow really sets in it gets overrun by folks. I know some good spots out on the peninsula near Lake Cushman, if you're willing to trek that far. Around mid-December the snow gets really good up there, but still manageable. There's also good camping if you want to make it a multi day affair.

jhberria

Adventurer
Earlier today, [MENTION=13926]Trixter404[/MENTION] and myself ventured down near Mt. Adams on forest road 23 with the intent of making it up to Taghlakh Lake. We spent a couple of hours plowing through fresh powder until it finally got too deep to overcome. We made it with a half mile of the lake, which was slightly frustrating, but the snow kept getting deeper and we were losing daylight quickly.
fJ1sQA6.jpg

F6d1aFg.jpg

sPDn1NI.jpg

WlQt9km.jpg

fX0SNbn.jpg

7VJxzBN.jpg

327SQIj.jpg

Ay95too.jpg

oBmeiwc.jpg

N8krMEK.jpg

0T4VCBO.jpg

EOyCqWY.jpg

xBo6VIa.jpg

It was a cold day, but a good day. Only one minor “stuck”, the fresh powder was fun to drive through.

dixie1865

Observer
Those are some great pics and it looks like it was a good time despite not making your destination.

SpecV- I think Illinois has Ohio beat in the "boring place to live" department.

jhberria

Adventurer
Man that is gorgeous. Looks like it was an awesome day. Living in Ohio sucks.

It was scenically awesome. I'm sure Ohio has its own aesthetic charms, in a sense. After all, you do have Cleveland!

In all seriousness, the UP seems pretty accessible for you. From what I've heard, that's amazing.

Those are some great pics and it looks like it was a good time despite not making your destination.

SpecV- I think Illinois has Ohio beat in the "boring place to live" department.

The trip was certainly worth it, no qualms with not making the original destination.

MNCarl

The Moose
Beautiful snow pics !!
Love this build....especially the new style pro4x rims/wheels with the BFG KO2's
Question....?
Any noticeable difference in the snow between your Xterra with the BFG KO2's and the Xterra with the Goodyear Duratracs ?

jhberria

Adventurer
Beautiful snow pics !!
Love this build....especially the new style pro4x rims/wheels with the BFG KO2's
Question....?
Any noticeable difference in the snow between your Xterra with the BFG KO2's and the Xterra with the Goodyear Duratracs ?

Thanks!

No, no real difference in snow performance between the two tires. I actually had Duratracs on my X for close to 3 years before switching to the BFGoodrich KO2s. The two tires are actually very comparable in overall performance, although the Duratracs snow performance definitely degraded as they aged. I can't make a high mileage assessment of the KO2s yet, as I've only had them for about 17k miles.

What I will say is that I am no longer afraid of cutting or shredding a sidewall. With the Duratracs, I had a cupple of sidewall cuts (superficial, not all the way through) that worried me. With the KO2s, I feel like I could do burnouts in piles of broken glass without suffering a sidewall puncture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier