Four Wheel Camper - A Review

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
oh man - this is getting better and better. Maybe I'll start saving my pennies!

(just 'cause I'm ABLE to sleep on plywood doesn't mean I want to :D)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Back on the road with miles to go before I sleep - I guess I got my Easter miracle as somehow the camper had survived the monsoon without a single leak. Please don't think I'm mocking the significance of Easter Sunday, I simply looked at my situation as an answer to my sleepless prayers. Although there were no leaks I was still left with the task of packing up a wet camper. When I was a kid my folks had a Starcraft pop top trailer that we took to the NC beaches and putting the wet canvas away was always a drag, same with a tent. This was the one thing with this camper that I was least looking forward to, putting it away wet. With no other choice I went about breaking camp. A unique feature to this camper is the cross camper bungees that you hook up between the windows when closing the camper. These cords pull the canvas in when the top comes down, eliminating the need for a person on the outside to tuck in the canvas, like with other pop top campers I've seen. Nice! No getting rainwater running down your sleeves and arms while tucking in wet canvas. With the camper packed up I jumped in the cab and headed south out of Idaho, towards the town of Alpine, WY.

As I made my way south around Palisades Resevoir in the early morning light I was able to make out the resevoir and it was still completely frozen. Barely enough light for a photo and it was still drizzling a rain/icey mix. I didn't want to get the camera out in the rain but I did brave the chilly morning for a couple of photos -

morningstorm.jpg

BadStorm.jpg

Following a quick gas & breakfast burrito stop in Alpine, I continued south towards Bear Lake on the ID & UT border. The drizzle faded but the clouds remained. The road soon took me through the small town of Freedom, Wyoming and I had to smile a little at the irony. Of course by then the decision had been made but I took it as sign from above since I wasn't driving through Security, Wyoming. ( For the very few people who will understand that, it's a true story. For those that don't get it, I hope you never have to...) I rolled down the windows and let the air of Freedom fill my lungs and wondered if I dared push my luck by wishing for the sun to come out so I could stop and dry out the canvas....

More handling and weather details - The road took me west back into Idaho, and the winds took over for the ceasing rain. I was again heading into the wind and continued to ride the up and down of the truck with the camper. I will install an airbag kit to help with leveling the truck but I didn't get it before I left. I wasn't sure if I'd be buying the camper until I saw it in person so I didn't want to get the airbags until I owned the camper. I was also curious as to how much difference the airbags would make and I figured a 500+ mile trip home with the camper would be a good test of the stock rear suspension and brakes. The truck handled differently but the new handling characteristics I noticed were all what the airbag manufacturers claimed to cure. I put the handling concerns out of my head for the rest of the trip as it wasn't unruly at all even in high winds or on some long neglected backcountry blacktop roads. Instead I focused on the scenery and weather and started planning my next trip in the camper. Along the way some random views caught my attention -

TheMelt.jpg

wetfence.jpg

Still to come - Bear Lake and would I ever see the sun again? Finding gas in the middle of nowhere on Easter Sunday and a little run in with the Soda Springs, ID Sheriff's Deputy. Bastard.......

****** To Be Continued.......

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Very, very nice, KC. Beautiful photographs!

We found that the coated fabric sides of the pop top would shed 90 percent of any clinging water with a couple of flat-handed whacks to each side before we closed it.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Man, who knew a mod review thread would be so entertaining. :Wow1: I'm really digging the dark picturers too! The low hanging clouds are cool. :lurk:

david despain

Adventurer
this has to be one of my favorite threads on this whole board:clapsmile
waiting with baited breath for the next installment. and after the camper story is done just make something up!:luxhello:

VikingVince

Explorer
This guy buys a FourWheel camper and turns into a combination of Ansel Adams and Ernest Hemingway. I knew those campers had lots of potential but this is new ground!!!...love those pics...thanks KC:victory:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Yah, I'm getting a definite Steinbeck, Travels with Charley vibe here. You gonna name your Toy Rocinante?

and we demand updates!:mad:

Maddmatt

Explorer
Well now I'm not going to get anything done today, waiting to find out what happened in Soda Springs!:gunt: Nice write up, to say the least.
-Matt

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Wow, I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this! I didn't mean to get off on an artistic rant, I need to get back to more product info. I wish I had known the weather was going to be so miserably cool. I would have picked up a roll of black & white film. Hopefully the rest of this will keep everyone's attention, so where were we? Oh yeah.....:mad:

Sir, may I see your license and registration please? - Making my way south towards Bear Lake and I stop in Soda Springs, ID for a fresh cup of coffee and new batteries for the camera at a convenience store. The rain had stopped and I was walking around the camper, looking it over in the parking lot and stretching my legs, doing my Ewan and Charley impression. I was leaning against the truck and eating the second half of my breakfast burrito when I noticed a local patrol car cruise by. A couple of minutes later he came through the parking lot and drove right by me. "He's checking out my cool new camper," I tell myself and I throw him a wave between bites. Shortly thereafter I'm back in the truck continuing south out of town when I notice the white cruiser behind me. It's a small town on a major holiday so I'm sure this is the same guy that cruised me a minute ago. I check my speed and seatbelt, all OK but he's still behind. Just about then he hits his lights and I start to slow down and pull over, wondering what I could have been doing.

Before I go much further let me give a little personal info first. During the week I'm a mild mannered sales professional with two kids who probably wouldn't draw a second glance on the street from most people. However, when I'm on a trip I sort of slip into my travelling alter ego. I get decked out in camo, beanies, shades and don't focus on hygene. I travel alone a lot and I prefer not to draw attention to myself. Kind of the same reason I like to keep the truck looking stock. Basically I'm going for the Bohemian~Redneck~OG~Rebel without soap~anti-social look. I think I pull it off well -

UtahArizona056.jpg

Let me also state that most of the guys in COD 4X4 that I roll with are cops or ex-cops. I have no problems with cops and I wouldn't want their job. A lot of them are good guys who are trying to make a difference in their communities and according to my friends some are on a power trip and just like to bust people's chops because they can. Whatever their deal is, I don't care, just leave me be, ya' know?

So I'm coming to a stop, realizing to an officer I may look like some dirtbag but knowing I haven't broken any laws. I pull out the license and insurance and he comes up to the passenger side of the truck. He explains that the reason he stopped me is that he ran my plates and they came up being registered to a red van. OK, so why was he running my plates? I wasn't speeding or weaving or running with faulty lights....? So I tell him to double check as these plates have been on this green truck for years. Clearly he's peeking around the cab and trying to get a look in the glovebox as I fish out my registration. Now I have nothing (much) to hide and I certainly don't want to be hard to get along with. I've had one speeding ticket in the last 12 years, so I'm not exactly public enemy #1. He states perhaps dispatch ran it as a car instead of a truck and he goes back to his car.

A few minutes later he comes back and realizing he's wasting our time, but before telling me that, he asks where I'm going, where I've been and a few other questions. Clearly he's fishing and hoping to spot something in the vehicle to justify his stopping me. As if I was stupid enough to have something I shouldn't or dumb enough not to hide it if I did! Finally his mic squawks to life that the plates are registered to a green Toyota and my name. He's all apologetic and encourages me to have a nice day and good trip. I return the sentiment and pull away trying to remind myself that this guy has a job to do and with out of state plates and looking a little scruffy, I probably look like the closest thing to a drug dealer that he's seen there in Mayberry. It's Easter and I'm going to forgive my fellow man. Even if the SOB did kill my buzz.........

****** Up next, actual product info with more interior pics. Really...... -

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Oh yeah, and I got a camper too - So it wasn't all rain, wind and cops this weekend. I actually have a camper that I've searched long and hard for and so far I'm thrilled with it. I mentioned briefly how easy it is to set up, now I'll elaborate with some pics. The top is fastened down by six tension clamps. There are 2 on the front and 2 on both sides. To set up camp you must first release the clamps on the outside -

camper018.jpg

camper019.jpg

camper020.jpg

After releasing the outside clamps you then crawl in the camper to raise the top. Here a few pics of the interior with the top down. This is how much room is still available with the top down. Also visible in these photos is a black box that houses the auxillary battery and fastened at the base of the counter is the table leg. A fire extinguisher is mounted right beside the stove top.

camper008.jpg

camper009.jpg

camper013.jpg

camper010.jpg

First the rear must be set up. Simply unsnap the strap that I have the white bungee threaded through in the above pic and push up. The bi-folding rear wall locks into place and reconnect the strap to hold the wall firmly up. Then the front, over the bed, can be set up. Same thing, release a snap strap and grab hold of the metal triangle extension. With a shoulder firmly under a ceiling brace, stand up. The wall locks into place and then attach triangle brace out of the way to the ceiling. The following pic shows the rear up and about to push up the front -

camper_023.jpg

The front wall, locked in place with the brace fastened out of the way and the bungees holding the windows taut, still in place -
camper_024.jpg

With the top up, simply release the 2 bungees and you're done. Pull open the velcro fastened windows, that have two covers, one to match the interior and another behind it that is opaque. Or pull both of those down and enjoy the large screens and fresh air.

I'm going to edit a few earlier posts to add more photos, including the full bed opened up and a turnbuckle photo if my description confused more than it helped! :D

We still haven't gotten to the lake yet nor made it back to Wyoming. And I haven't even mentioned the Spring storm that dumped 8 inches of snow on us our first night back home. Stay tuned for more ramblings from the road!

******To Be Continued..........

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
kcowyo said:
...Sir, may I see your license and registration please? - ... He explains that the reason he stopped me is that he ran my plates and they came up being registered to a red van. OK, so why was he running my plates? I wasn't speeding or weaving or running with faulty lights? ...

:luxhello: Great write up so far! :lurk: Please e-mail me since PM's are down (you can get my e-mail from my profile).

One of my buddies is a cop and it standard that they run plates in front of them to look for stolen vehicles, stolen license plates, ect. So don't feel like he was picking on you... he probably was checking out your sweet camper and decided to run your plates since it brought his brought attention to your vehicle. So many it wasn't as much of a buzz kill as you may think.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
dang it KC, I want more. Don't stop now, the kids are asleep, the wines kicked in and this is awfully good reading. Keep it coming ...

(I have fond memories of sailing on Bear Lake as a kid, even though the wind stopped and we had to paddle back to shore.)

Can't wait for the rest of the installment,

Take care,

Jeff

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
KC, darnit, you're reeeeeaaaaaallly making us miss our own Four Wheel Popup with your superb report and superb photos. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into this story.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Sorry for the break folks. Work and kids were wondering where I'd been. Again, I'm really glad everyone is enjoying this. I did take it out again this weekend and spent a superb Saturday night next to the Popo Agie River in Sinks Canyon.

I'll be back tomorrow with more! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles