New 2014 Xterra Owner- Icedragonmx's trip reports

icedragonmx

Adventurer
That is to bad. When you are building up your ZR2 look into Warrior winches. I have one of their Competition winches with Synthetic line and it was less than you would think. It is a short drum option so it holds less line, but with winch line extensions I get the length I need when offroad, but not adding the weight on the daily drive

Thanks for the Warrior Winch idea. I had never even considered a "short drum" option for weight savings. Will look into it. Warn has always been a top choice for me due to their reliability, so I never really looked at other options. What model number are you using and has it been a solid choice? There dual motor ones look bulky but they don't post a weight on any models in their specs.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
warrior short drum 9500

That link is for a Warrior winch 9500 Short Drum with Synthetic line. It only weights 46lbs!! According to my scale. Match that with an Aluminum bumper to hide it in and the front end should be under 110lbs. My Hefty Fab front Bumper in Aluminium is a claimed weight of 60lbs. I did not weigh it.

trae

Adventurer
I carry a fair bit of recovery gear as I am far enough away that being self reliant is required most of the time (got lucky this time finding a rescue)

3x recovery straps (20' and two 30' 2" 20,000lb straps)
Power Puller with extra handle and extension
8' tree strap (3" static strap)
22' of recovery chain (high test-grade 80+)
folding wood saw - Silky Bigboy 2000

Dewalt 20V saw for trail maintenance and dead fall
50' winch steel cable - never used
100' synthetic winch cable extension
snatch block -rarely used
axe and full size shovel - get a full sized shovel, you will curse the compact ones

Maxtrax x4 (worth every penny)
Gloves and first aid kit etc etc...

The first group will get you out of 99% of the messes. Never used the extra winch cable but have dug a spare into the ground as a land anchor. The power puller and chain and straps see the most use and are fairly compact. Hope that helps!

Had a call from my adjuster late Friday and he was great at explaining the cost breakout and how they arrived at the total price (tires and mods included). I am very happy with the process to date and will be meeting on Monday to sign papers so they can write the vehicle off as a Class III electrical loss. I lose out on the rescue and recovery cost ($530) but this is still way better than not being insured for the truck! Just happy it is being resolved!!!! I will get hit hard on my licence for the accident as it is 100% my fault as per MPI. Will have a bit of $$$$ to make up for due to taxes on the next purchase but such is life.

Thanks for the list @icedragonmx, very helpful. My father got me a katanboy 1000, so I'm covered there. No snatch blocks for you? So you normally did single line pulls with the X?

trae

Adventurer
warrior short drum 9500

That link is for a Warrior winch 9500 Short Drum with Synthetic line. It only weights 46lbs!! According to my scale. Match that with an Aluminum bumper to hide it in and the front end should be under 110lbs. My Hefty Fab front Bumper in Aluminium is a claimed weight of 60lbs. I did not weigh it.

That's really neat. Warrior short drum is 20 kg, warn 9500 is 46kg. More than half the weight.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Thanks for the list @icedragonmx, very helpful. My father got me a katanboy 1000, so I'm covered there. No snatch blocks for you? So you normally did single line pulls with the X?

The power puller has its own snatch block and its very rare that I would need to build a system to double that with an extra line and snatch block (I have both) ;)

Stories with the new truck over here - https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/new-2018-colorado-zr2-icedragonmxs-trip-reports.196187/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles