Looking for Good Street Legal Off-Road Bike Options

FordGuy1

Adventurer
How tall are you?

The reason I ask is that the KTM has a seat height of 38". As a new rider, that seat height may be a bigger intimidation than the weight. If you're a fair bit over 6', it may not be a huge issue and you can enjoy the low weight of the KTM. But if you're under 6', you might actually find the 300lb KLX250 (35" seat height) or even a CRF250 (<35") to be a bit more rideable than the 240lb KTM. And it may be some time before you will be able to fully take advantage of what the KTM offers.

We all want to buy the "right" bike, but sometimes the "right" bike with no experience and the "right" bike after a season or two are quite different.

I have a plated 14' KTM 250 XCW smoker, great bike at just over 225lbs and electric start, but as stated, its way tall! I have been riding for 45 years so height is not a huge deal, but I lowered it a inch so I could reach the ground. Light weight is a good thing for a newbie.

702krawler

Adventurer
I'm fairly tall (6'1"), so the WRR is not bad for me, but I could easily see where a beginner shorter than me might find it intimidating.

I thought about a KTM (if you see my original post), but in the end decided against it due to the increased maintenance requirements. I just purchased the service manual for the WRR and intend to try my hand at all of my maintenance on the bike. I'm by no means an expert mechanic, but I'm fairly handy with a wrench when directions are provided.

Last edited:

Chicken Helmet

Looking For Lost
Late to the party but the WR250 is a great platform for serious dual sporting. My only experiences are my 2 KLR650's and a DR350. I've been all over the Southeast on the KLR, street and dirt but the smaller DR350 is a lot less tiresome in the woods.

Jb1rd

Explorer
I have a kitted out XR400, decent on pavement, 65-70mph but excels on the dirt for being a DS. Sits well on my receiver (2005 Tundra DC as well as my buddies F150 SC) The XR is a nice price point and reliable, parts readily available and cheaper than the Euro stuff. Just my 2 pennies.

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
Im looking at the TW200 because Im new to riding, want something small & light enough to load in my pickup by myself, or on the rear hitch carrier on camping trips. TW200 has a low seat, wide tires, and sips fuel.

Im not looking at it for a commuter or freeway riding.

Mostly a bike to take camping, exploring, running to the store, cruising fire roads, going around the gates. I have a couple friends with bigger dual sports and they say the TW200 would do me just fine for what Im wanting to do.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I have owned a various number of dirt bikes since 1980. My first was a Kawasaki KX 175 (never bought another Kawasaki after that) and my last was a KTM 520 EXC (four stroke that thought it was a 3 stroke). Best bike ever that I owned: the KTM hands down going away. It could creep and go over 100 mph- never met a hill over mx course that it couldn't devour. So why did I end up with a Yamaha TW 200? Because, it is fun. My wife can ride it (she used to have a Yamaha XT 225) and it can pretty much go everywhere and the design is little change (maybe not changed at all) since intro in 1987. Yamaha dealers everywhere and parts are seldom needed and easily available. The weight is low and the CG makes even a newbie look good. Besides, where I am going, I don't need to be going 100!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Little bump for this great thread.

Yesterday I was driving home and saw a guy riding a Cb500x and man oh man it looked like so much fun. I have been paying close attention to lots of motorcycles and dual sports as I have wanted one for a while but never been in the position to buy one. My truck is getting old and has over 220k on the clock but remains strong and work perfectly so I figure, hey, get a bike! Luckily for me, I dont have to say "the wife said it was ok"!!

Anyways, I have been doing some research on the CB500X and it looks like it would be a great fit for me. I have most of my experience in the desert and mountains growing up and then a little bit of experience riding on the roads but not nearly as much. The only drawback is the weight. A little heavier than what I am used to. In the past I have ridden all types of dirtbike. I had an XR200 growing up. Rode a Yamaha 250 for a few days in the desert and even had a 2 stroke for the track which I didnt like. I really loved my CRF450 but sold it a while back when I was short on some cash.

What would I use it for? I really want to say I'll use it for off road but realistically I'll be using it to get from point A to point B, cruising around town for joy rides, commuting my 16 miles round trip to and from work, and then taking it on dirt maybe 5 times a year total. I have client that live in Palm Springs about 1.5 hours from me and I'd like to be able to ride it to see them once or twice a year and be able to hit some trails. I do go out to Ocotillo Wells with my brother who rides a few times a year and I just borrow my uncles KTM.

I've mainly been looking for a drz400 or crf650L for the last few months but now Im starting to think a bike that is more styled for "adventure" would serve me better for on road needs. I would love any type of KTM, especially an adventure, but they are way too expensive for me and the maintenace I dont want to deal with. Recently, I've been looking at the CB500x (as stated) but also the WR250 as many have suggested above but I feel that might be a little small for me. Im 6'1" and about 225 lbs and very burly and am kind of used to heavier bikes.... and I want some power!

Anyways, there my current scenario. Sorry for the hijack.

If anyone has an info for me please let me know!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You guys have all the fun...
65,000 commute miles between 2002 and 2009 on my dont laugh Honda Silverwing. It was perfect for the 27mile city and fast highway commute. It was a true sleeper 0-100 in 5sec, would cruise at 90mph all day and flat out when no one was looking 117. If I rode it like my mt bike I could hang with some coworkers on the Highway 1 Sunday 5am rides. They laughed at me till I handed out water bottles during a stop waiting for the slow pokes, my trunk held a dozen bottles lol. Once the water load was gone I was #3 behind the knee draggers in full race gear. HA

Child #1 arrived in 09 hence the end of my moto fun. But a small duel sport that gets hauled to the dirt might pass the wife filter... one could dream... I've ridden many other bikes for sure the smaller lighter bikes are far more fun on the dirt. As for pavement vs trail fun I see it as you do one or the other but no mixing, given it results in a poor combo for pavement and dirt. 250-350 is as big as I would want but the little TW200 looks like great fun without big bike costs and lightweight so easy to pack on the truck or trailer.

Last edited:

hartselrider

I have a 2006 KTM 950 for sale for $4900

Its in Denver and it rocks !! Many of the bikes you're considering don't do great on highway or with a passenger. The 950 shines in both those aspects and can do dirt like the best of them

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Most important thing to consider, besides your skill level is our size, if you're 6'3" at 260 you won't be happy on any 250. Now, at 5'7" and 125, that would work. Read the first page so this may have been mentioned, but a 650 is still a beginner biker that can take you into being a skilled rider, one to keep. I have a 32" inseam and the 650 XR fits nicely standing on one foot or both at lights, they are light for what they are.

I'd also say that while a 250 or 400/500 might do 75, (I doubt a 250 does) but lighter bikes at speed you'll find yourself blown into the next lane on a mildly windy day, much less going over a bridge with 40+ gusts. Your size has a lot to do with what you should be riding, learn to ride what you need, don't let the size intimidate you.

Are you ever going to pack gear or ride 2 up? Check the weight limits of small bikes, you're limited. There have been a few times on the road where more power saved my tail! Be safe!

Edited: Check this out>>>>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSW...-YfTUBx1uwiPENRhRO-32rGUjm8bLciFaErrEIaf9vEXA

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne