Enough Fresh Water

compactcamping

Explorer
Been pondering how best to have enough fresh water on the trailer for back country camping / exploring. The standard approach is carrying jugs or having a tank for hauling 15-30 gallons with you at the cost of space and weight. I’m looking for a lighter, more compact approach, 20 gallons of water weighs around 165 lbs.

Want to carry 10 gallons at most, either two jugs or a slim tank against the front wall. For two of us, 10 gallons is good for around 3 days. So what to do when the water runs out? I’m thinking replenishing along the way from “watering holes” like the wagon trains did. Although to make sure I’m getting good portable water, filtering / purifying it. From my initial research the Lifestraw Family unit looks like a good solution.

Anyone else gone this route? What filter / purifier are you using? What is your experience?

155mm

Adventurer
If you have power or are concerned about chemicals, then you can consider a reverse osmosis setup.

Otherwise, a keep a carbon filter around to remove chemicals in addition to whatever filter you decide on.

If you need lots of water, you will probably get tired of using any of the pump filters, and will want to set up a gravity feed. Any filter elements will work, but the Sawyer pocket and Sawyer mini are probably the cheapest and are good for like a million gallons as long as you don't let the filter element get frozen or damaged (same as any other filter). You can just use some tubing, containers, and get creative here.

I love my Sawyer filters, and use them over the older (but still working) Katadyn and other brands. Best of all, they are only like $20 dollars each.

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks 155mm, I was envisioning a gravity feed type solution. Good to know on freezing, don't know that would be a problem. Didn't realize they had compact, cost effective reverse osmosis setups available, are there any you would recommend looking at?

155mm

Adventurer
Some folks end up building their own RO systems for the most cost effectiveness. I don't think the gravity feed versions will give you very much output so you would have to run a pump or something to get enough pressure to process enough water.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/577038_UPDATED_w__pix___post__7____Portable_Rev_Osmosis.html

As long as you aren't too worried about chemical contamination, it would be much simpler, cheaper, and more reliable to set up a gravity feed using filter technology. In the areas there could be chemicals, you probably have access to treated tap water anyway.

155mm

Adventurer
I have the Katadyn pocket too and it is a quality, durable unit. Like any filter, just don't let the ceramic portion freeze. It's pretty bombproof, and I've used it a lot.

I leave it at home now though, because the Sawyers are lighter, cheaper, and claimed at 1,000,000 gallons. I don't plan on testing that though, when I can just swap it out after a couple years with a new model just to be sure.

The only advantage I've found to the Katadyn is that the Sawyer is plastic, and doesn't feel nearly as awesome as the hefty, all-metal Katadyn. Plus, pumping can be fun sometimes, and it comes with everything you need to just filter water into a container and go. There's no setting up a gravity feed, connecting tubes etc. Plus with lots of the Sawyer bags, those are black water bags and you only filter when you drink, unless you set up a feed system. This opens the possibility you mix up containers and cross-contaminate. If you are forced to filter as you fill a container, then this eliminates the possibility of error.

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks for the info. The use model I'm envisioning would be refilling / topping off a tank and using from there.

In researching, Sawyer claims their style filter can go 20X the time a ceramic can before needing to be back flushed. Any really world experience on how true this is?

compactcamping

Explorer
It appears there are two filtering technologies available Hollow Fiber Membrane / Micro Tubes (Sawyer, Lifestraw) and Ceramic Cartridge (Katadyn and others). Are there pros and cons to the filter types related to US back country usage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior