"Push Button" 4wd in an e350 - Lovell 357 or other

Here is a pretty decent illustrated pictorial of a NV271 teardown. It is the Dodge version but aside from the tailhousing, they are pretty much the same thing.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/5ykhl-dodge-3500-4x4-2003-ram-3500-4x4-single-axle-chain.html

The F-series factory service manuals have a lot of detailed info about rebuilding these too.

I'll be doing a rebuild on a NV271 sometime this fall/winter. I'll be sure to take pictures and do a write up. There are some good pictures of my NV271 in my build thread if you want to see inside.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-Quadvan-Build/page14?highlight=mgmetalworks

Very cool thread! I enjoyed seeing the inside of the t-case as well. I'm quite interested in doing a rebuild of a t-case, I will definitely be on the lookout for your write up.

Make sure you get the switch, wiring harness and control unit from the same vehicle to avoid some potential problems we experienced once.

Rebuilding T-Cases is very easy and straight forward, 2 hours max. To be honest, just get a good one from a lower mile truck and bolt it in. Not much to go wrong with them and if it is bad, switch it out with another. R&R is only 30 minutes. I buy them for anywhere form $50 to $300 and not hard to find.

Sportsmobile Fresno has a brand new NV273 that they want to sell - it is just collecting dust.
Awesome! Thank you. That's kind of what I was thinking as well, with regard to getting a low mile t-case. I'm definitely interested in learning to rebuild one, but I'm a fan of taking the easy route when time is short.

Thanks for helping me to save some $$ guys

r_w

Adventurer
There have been a few people here that have relocated/built manual shifters that were completely out of the way. I have old man's disease (can't remember sh...) so I can't say who.

flightcancled

Explorer
Whatever you decide please post back and let us know how it goes. I also am not interested in tripping over the shifter and would love an alternative.

Those cable shifters are a cool concept, though I really need to just get ride of the shifter lever all together, so that my dog doesn't accidentally run into it, or use it as a chew toy.

Whatever you decide please post back and let us know how it goes. I also am not interested in tripping over the shifter and would love an alternative.

Will do! Though it might be a few months before I get to address this. This is now near the bottom of my list, after the front axle swap, some engine "bullet proofing" and the interior build.

philos

Explorer
Figured this was kinda relevant; there is the possibility to modify the NV273 with ESOF to work just like the NV271 with manual shift.
Looks like you can weld a tab onto a gutted shift motor, then fabricate a linkage from that new tab to a manual shift lever. Cut a hole in your floor, and go!
Pics don't link until the fifth page, but it's all there... you can buy a NV273 for way less than a NV271, and for not much money mod it to manual, WOOT!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/871344-esof-elimination-build-5.html

philos

Explorer
That's a lot of extra work to save a few bucks. NV271's are cheap enough and plentiful enough that you shouldn't need to do this. Check www.car-part.com... there are pages and pages of them.

seems like it's only taking a couple/few hours work according to that thread... but I can see your point. It's an option for what was previously thought un-doable.

151fab

Observer
"No-Fly" push button

If the only functionality of the ESOF that I wanted was the electronic shifting, I have manual hubs and don't mind stopping the vehicle to shift the t-case, would I need all the inputs or could I fool the 4x4 module into thinking it was safe to shift at all times via ground, open, or 12v to these inputs (even better would be if I could set the input to only allow shifting in neutral or 0mph)? See MG's images I reference below.

ESOF1-NoFly.jpg
ESOF2-NoFly.jpg

The other option would be to build a solenoid setup that uses the encoder inputs in the basic fashion of adding/cutting power signal once a location is reached by the motor. The problem I see with that is the system not knowing to switch polarity depending upon which way you want to shift once in a middle location (using the stock three position dash-switch that is). However, I see that there are four positions within encoder so maybe ford did dumb it down enough to make this simple. Unless anyone has any ideas, I might just have to determine all the outputs of the encoder in relation to the motor location and see if the dumb-solenoids is a easy rought.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The wire going to the data link connector is for connection to the diagnostic tool. Not really necessary if you don't want it.

The VSS wire is for the module to know the vehicle speed. It won't shift into 4HI at high speeds and won't shift into 4Low unless you're stopped and in neutral. You could spoof this wire if you knew what the signal looked like but you'd also have to have the neutral wire working properly.

The neutral wire is for 4Low engagement. No need to spoof this since most electronically controlled vehicles have a neutral indicator circuit that you can tap into.

If you're going with manual hubs, you don't necessarily have to do anything with the solenoid and pump circuits.

Given how easy it is to find F-series parts on Ebay and in wrecking yards, I wouldn't go through the hassle of making up a custom shifter circuit.

151fab

Observer
Ya, I have the full harness from the f250 including the relay box so not to worried about the parts. Just didn't want to beat myself up too much chasing wires for functions of the system I don't need in the first place. VSS and Neutral wires aren't too much to sweat over, I guess I'll pick up a 4x4 module and start chasing wires. Thanks for the help!

Justgosurfin

Ya, I have the full harness from the f250 including the relay box so not to worried about the parts. Just didn't want to beat myself up too much chasing wires for functions of the system I don't need in the first place. VSS and Neutral wires aren't too much to sweat over, I guess I'll pick up a 4x4 module and start chasing wires. Thanks for the help!
Did you ever finish this? I’d like to do the same

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online