Bike Advice? Looking for motorcycle or dirt bike to carry on Fuso

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
I'm researching off-road motorcycles and dirt bikes and not getting very far, so need advice. We are building a Fuso Expedition camper and want to bring an off-road bike with us. Looking for something small and light (we have minimal space and are trying to watch our vehicle weight) that we could use to drive to town but also off-road on a trail. Bonus if it can fit two people. Any ideas?

PirateB

Suzuki dr-650 (I believe there is a 400cc also). Lightweight, air/oil cooled, capable of 2-up riding, trail worthy.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
TW200.

Not fast, but it will go anywhere and carry a whole load of stuff.

2013-yamaha-tw200-is-still-a-spectacularly-fun-bike_1.jpg

They make awesome racks for it too!
TW200%20Bike.JPG

ihatemybike

Explorer
Suzuki DR200 = 278 lb / 126 kg
Yamaha TW20 = 278 lb / 126 kg
Yamaha XT250 = 291 lb / 132 kg

Lighter than most on the market, but I wouldn't call any of them small.

How minimal space and light weight?

Smallest I would go, with the possibility of 2up, is a Honda ST series bike or one of the clones available. These bikes are small, have fold down handlebars, typically have 10" rims with 3" to 3.5" wide tires and weigh about 150 lb / 68 kg. My brother has a clone made by Jincheng. With the bars folded it fits standing upright in the cargo area of his Grand Cherokee.

Pitster Classic 125
DAX%20Red.jpg

Next up would be the Honda Cub (road) or CT (dirt) series and clones. These bikes typically have 17" spoke rims with 2.25" to 2.75" wide tires and weigh between 187 lb / 85 kg - 218 lb / 99 kg.

SYM Symba
new-2013-sym-symba_honda_cub_scooter-sanfranciscooakland-7582-8482444-4-640.jpg

If you're looking only for light trail usage, you could used a bike more geared for the street and swap tires, scrambler style.

Sachs Madass 125cc / 220 lb / 100 kg
sachs-madass-125-1.jpg
sachs-madasss-xt-callout.png

There are also plenty of smaller, used, dual sports out there.
My KE100 can do 55 mph. 1976-2001, 100cc, 2.75-19 front, 3-18 rear, 200 lb / 91 kg.

1999 Kawasaki KE100
url

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
+1 on the TW200 with at least the rear rack. Seat two pretty comfortably and is easy for almost anyone to ride and maintain.
I would take that over my ktm 450 on a world tour even though they weigh about the same.

neonasty

Id be looking at something from a large bike builder. Ie. Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, yamaha etc etc.

Air cooled. Probably around the 200 - 400 CC area.

XR200, XR250, XR400. Kick start, no battery, Air cooled 4 stroke.
XT200, 250
DRZ250, 400

Keep your eyes out for a bargain, well looked after second hand bike. Stay well away from the 'bargain' looking new Chinese bikes. While they seem good to begin with, their quality control is rubbish, and materials used break regularly.

Ive got a KLR650, but its 200Kgs, and way too large for what your after.

Good luck
-Shaun

I picked up a Honda CRF250L and love it, been hauling it around on the back of my Land Cruiser. Light weight, modern, fun to ride, fits 2 people. I was also looking at the TW200 when I purchased it, which I also like a lot. At the end of the day I wanted fuel injection, and something a bit more modern, yet not complicated. I think the honda has fit the bill well.

IMG_20140926_135735.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a Suzuki TU250X on my Fuso and have been really pleased with it. +1 on the fuel injection, make life easier.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I opted for a TW200 to go with the Fuso build, I like the primitive aspect of the bike.

jkam

nomadic man
I carry a Kawasaki Super Sherpa on the back of my RV.
it is just about perfect for my needs which are grocery getter and exploring.
It will do 2 up and has the power to do highway speeds.
Finding a nice one can be tough since they are no longer imported to the U.S.
Cheap, easy and pretty much bullet proof are the reasons I went with it.

82fb

Adventurer
For something that will get used for short trips here and there, and taken out and put away often, I would go with something small. I usually ride a wr250f for dirt trips, but have also been playing around on my wifes ttr125L. Gets up around 50-55 mph, is super light, so easy to throw on a rack, has a real slow first gear which means it can drag me up some nasty climbs. Riding double would be the real weakness, but a stiff spring could make it work.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A Suzuki DR-Z400 is a full-sized bike capable of freeway travel with two, and it is a credible bike on trails. It is large enough that you don't feel like you're overmatched with the surrounding traffic and is quite reliable with good aftermarket support. And it weighs little enough not to stress you or the carrier.

I admire Ihatemybike and others for their efforts with small displacement bikes, but if the "town" you want to ride to requires transit on a well-traveled highway, you are not going to be comfortable (especially two up) on something with under about 20 horsepower, I don't believe.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm researching off-road motorcycles and dirt bikes and not getting very far, so need advice. We are building a Fuso Expedition camper and want to bring an off-road bike with us. Looking for something small and light (we have minimal space and are trying to watch our vehicle weight) that we could use to drive to town but also off-road on a trail. Bonus if it can fit two people. Any ideas?

Suzuki DRZ400 ticks all of those boxes. My DRZ is my expo vehicle for the most part. My fullsize gets me as far as it can go, and when we get to real backwoods trails, I unload the DRZ.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I opted for a TW200 to go with the Fuso build, I like the primitive aspect of the bike.
Great choice. I had heard that it is a great starter bike. That has proved true. My wife and now my son have both learned how on it. I heard that it is extremely enjoyable even after experiencing bigger, faster more powerful motorcycles. That is very true. I still get a kick out of riding it and actually prefer it for forest trail riding. Light , nimble and very forgiving. Ours will go with us and stay with us a very long time. Great investment.

file.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles