Looking for a good 6-8 person car camping tent

Negotiator

Camp ground pad sizes are something I had not considered. Other than heading up to the local KOA campground a few times each summer, I don't have much camp experience, so this is all pretty new to me. I probably will be spending my first few trips at a campground so I can get the hang of things before I start adventuring off the beaten path.

The KOA I used to frequent had no problem with my 10x14 walmart behemoth. Is it pretty common for a campground to limit sizes to 10x10 or less?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I don't know the east coast at all if its common ? one of those little things I have come across though more just to be aware of not to worry though :)

some are 12x12 I think it was the redwoods or somewhere at a national park we came across forgot ? again its not always common so don't let it worry you :)

a 10x14 is pretty common tent size these days anyway so usually not a big deal might just hang over a touch but a tent like say the big agnes 8 is almost 15 and the fly takes up another 4 I think ? you end up 19 feet it might just be the fire pit ends up being really close or you leave the fly loose ? same with the REI and the garage on it ends up being quite long so might end up sticking into the parking gravel a bit and maybe one of those cement car stops gets in the way of the garage ? more again just to be aware of than anything

hope some others jump in with thoughts about the kodiak tent ? but again a search will bring up a lot but its worth checking out or buying from a place you can return it ?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
When I needed the room I tried a big tent but went back to two smaller ones. It was often hard to find a big open spot for the large tent at the good sites. It took way too much time to set up and take down and you get to wrestle it again when you get home to dry it out. Two small tents can be wadded up and out of the rain in moments. The kids seemed to like having their own little place. I guess if you stay put for a week and plan on heating and cooking in it then it may be better to go big but for anything else I would never recommend it. I had the Big Agnes Kohona. Hated everything about it.

perkj

Explorer
I do not have kids. My priorities in order of importance would be long term durability, wind/rain resistance, warranty/customer support, price, head room and weight being a distant last. I would prefer a lighter tent, but if a heavy canvas tent will serve my needs better then I'm all for it.

Based on this, I'd still suggest looking at the Eureka Outfitter Timberline SQ 6... Durability and ability to handle the elements is what it's all about. If the a-frame is scaring you off, check out the Cabelas outfitter dome tents...the Alaskans or XWT's. The XWTs may be an overkill and out of your price range but the Alaskan 10x10 or 12x12 should fit the bill. Both are outfitter type tents and are made by Eureka for cabelas. They get awesome reviews:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow...0;cat104779080&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...tent&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I really like my Kodiak 10x10. Only downside is that it HAS to be staked down (I suppose you could weight down the corners in theory). But I was in REI and saw the Kingdome and thought it looked like a great family camping tent - tall, with steep walls. I don't think i would trade my Kodiak for it, but I bet I would be just as happy with it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I wondered about the kodiak when I had it making a outer frame of schedule 80 1 inch conduit ? Have some amsteel line with hooks for the ends and some kinda slip together corners so it could be setup self supporting if need be

Negotiator

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone! I finally found a nearby place where I can see many of these tents in person. I'll report back with what I end up choosing.

dms1

Explorer
Based on this, I'd still suggest looking at the Eureka Outfitter Timberline SQ 6... Durability and ability to handle the elements is what it's all about. If the a-frame is scaring you off, check out the Cabelas outfitter dome tents...the Alaskans or XWT's. The XWTs may be an overkill and out of your price range but the Alaskan 10x10 or 12x12 should fit the bill. Both are outfitter type tents and are made by Eureka for cabelas. They get awesome reviews:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow...0;cat104779080&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...tent&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I have the Eureka Timberline 6 tent, it is rugged and easy to set up, the issue I have with it is it is not wind friendly, I have had to replace the poles several times due to being bent in the wind. If you are camping where there is no wind, get one. I now use the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man tent for two of us. It only takes us 20 min to put it up and so far wind has not been an issue, the only down side is since it has a 6 sided footprint, you need a bigger tent than one with a square footprint.

perkj

Explorer
I have the Eureka Timberline 6 tent, it is rugged and easy to set up, the issue I have with it is it is not wind friendly, I have had to replace the poles several times due to being bent in the wind. If you are camping where there is no wind, get one. I now use the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man tent for two of us. It only takes us 20 min to put it up and so far wind has not been an issue, the only down side is since it has a 6 sided footprint, you need a bigger tent than one with a square footprint.

Dave, was your Timberline the old non-SQ Timerline 6 with the basically aluminum poles and plastic joints eureka used for the past 50 years or was it the newer SQ Timerline 6 with the super strong DAC aluminum poles and joints? I can attest that the newer SQ models can handle some serious wind when fully staked and guy lined out. I agree the older ones weren't as up to the task.

perkj

Explorer
I just read about the drama surrounding REI and will likely not be spending my money there. They do look like nice tents though.

Don't get too hung up on the drama you've read. A lot, and I mean a lot, of people were abusing REIs old lifetime return policy. Extreme examples were returning empty Cliff Bar wrappers and saying they weren't satisfied with them quenching their hunger. Or tents bringing returned after 10 years because they simply wore out from use. And the list goes on. I'm not a big Rei fan by a any means, based on their land use positions, however they were forced into changing their policy by folks abusing it way too much. Even with the new 1 year policy, people have found a way to abuse it....basically returning everything purchased by then end of the 12 month window and then just buying the same thing or newer model again to reset the 12 month window...turns into a life time free rental.

Negotiator

Don't get too hung up on the drama you've read. A lot, and I mean a lot, of people were abusing REIs old lifetime return policy. Extreme examples were returning empty Cliff Bar wrappers and saying they weren't satisfied with them quenching their hunger. Or tents bringing returned after 10 years because they simply wore out from use. And the list goes on. I'm not a big Rei fan by a any means, based on their land use positions, however they were forced into changing their policy by folks abusing it way too much. Even with the new 1 year policy, people have found a way to abuse it....basically returning everything purchased by then end of the 12 month window and then just buying the same thing or newer model again to reset the 12 month window...turns into a life time free rental.
I'm not too bothered about the return policy being reduced to a year. That actually sounds pretty impressive. It's the land use/antigun stuff I'm not crazy about however. I'm going out this afternoon to see a few of these in person. I've also been contacting a few dealers to see about any upcoming sales and promotions.

drm

Springbar family camper here. 10x14 for a family of 4. I found it barely used locally for $400 with all the options.

A battery impact and large lag bolts make setup a lot quicker instead of stakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz