New guy...

revor

Explorer
Oldie/Newbies

So Lemme get this straight.. JL DieselCruiserhead and others have been migrating to this site because of:
A. To much arguing on all those other sites.
B. Very little if any technical information being posted on those other sites.
C. Chest beating on the other sites has gotten out of hand and is boring.
D. Rock crawling, while fun, just isn't all it's cracked up to be.
E. All of the above.

Yorker

Adventurer
It has been years since I was on the LRO list but I remembered you talking about the JD diesel way back. I've seen you post on Pirate and wondered if you were the same guy.

I always thought the Ford 300 6 would be a neat engine for a 109, I've toyed with the idea of using one but always been side tracked. How did you like it?

revor

Explorer
That Ford 300 is such a torque monster!!! But would it fit in the bay of a 109? Seems the 302 in mine barely fits..

Yorker

Adventurer
revor said:
That Ford 300 is such a torque monster!!! But would it fit in the bay of a 109? Seems the 302 in mine barely fits..

Well how much bigger is it than a Chevy 292? Those Chevy 292s seemed to be all the rage 20+ years ago in those NADA 6 109's.

Oilburner

Adventurer
The ford 300 was great, especially with a T18. It had tons of power, lots of torque, it was nice to drive, very very reliable, and it fit with lots of room. The bellhousing opening had to be enlarged, the rad moved forward a lot, but I managed to fit it under the hood with some mods to the breakfast. It got awful mileage but it was a solid drivetrain that could break rear axles on demand. It was about as close to a diesel as you can get without having an injection pump!

Revor, for me the migration is a combination of most of those points. I think rockcrawling is cool, but I like "multipurpose" rigs better. The whole idea of trailering a rig just makes no sense to me. And, although I am probably also to blame, the ego/chest beating/negative feel to a lot of the rover boards annoys me. This place feels better, there seems to be more cross-pollination from other brands, and it seems like less of a :checkoutmybling: site.

revor

Explorer
I'm thinking they were huge by comparison, like 5" longer, I've never really looked into it though.. A very cool motor almost like diesel!

I guess if a Cummins 6AT will fit, could it be shorter than the 300?

Yorker

Adventurer
revor said:
I'm thinking they were huge by comparison, like 5" longer, I've never really looked into it though.. A very cool motor almost like diesel!

I guess if a Cummins 6AT will fit, could it be shorter than the 300?

Man now I am going to have to go measure one... I plowed a lot of snow with an old '79 ford with the 300 6, it was an awsome low speed torque monster.

Keith- didn't you used to make adapters to mate the t18 or t19 to the LT230? A friend of mine has one of those he keeps trying to sell me- Seems as though it would be a nice set-up.

Oilburner

Adventurer
The big difference is the 6 cyl bulkhead. With a 6 cyl bulkhead you can get away with murder. I have always used a 4 cyl bulkhead which means a more forward engine placement. With the 6BT it makes no difference as the rearmost valvecover ends up about 1/2 inch above the highest bulkhead kickout (there the coil usually mounts) which is the same in both instances. The gasoline 6s are a lot shorter in height and can tuck under this piece.

The 292 and 300 must be about the same size. Both great engines for a gas 109. I have never messed with 292s so I don't know the exact size.

6AT is apparently the same size as a 250 chevy I6, smaller than the 300 I6.

Oilburner

Adventurer
Yorker said:
Keith- didn't you used to make adapters to mate the t18 or t19 to the LT230? A friend of mine has one of those he keeps trying to sell me- Seems as though it would be a nice set-up.

Yorker I have a T18 to LR Series T case setup here that I used on my rig. I would like to see it go to someone who will use it. If you're interested we can surely work something out. Northern NY would probably mean we are not that far apart!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Yes and no. Pirate comes off cosmetically much worse than it actually is. Both JL and I have years in there believe it or not (and quite sad). For me it it related to jobs (such as mine currently) where I am basically flying a desk so it is acceptable to f-off on the internet for hours at a time... Our season slumped off so my co-workers are joking that they will find the end of the internet this summer... There, at pirate, it was just a little different. The tech is and will always be absolutely cutting edge. But it is main stream American, the popularity structure there works really oddly that nosedrives the site into what it comes off as. This is why growth there plateaued there years ago. But there is a spirit of building and ingenuity that cannot be parralled. But for me personally enough was enough... :)

revor said:
So Lemme get this straight.. JL DieselCruiserhead and others have been migrating to this site because of:
A. To much arguing on all those other sites.
B. Very little if any technical information being posted on those other sites.
C. Chest beating on the other sites has gotten out of hand and is boring.
D. Rock crawling, while fun, just isn't all it's cracked up to be.
E. All of the above.

Yorker

Adventurer
dieselcruiserhead said:
LT230 is a wonderful t-case, I have long considered running one myself, in a land cruiser :)

Yeah I have been loosely following you on Pirate, The NP200/205 combo didn't pan out eh?

JL: I'm in Albany- not too far from Ottawa...

T18 to Series T case would be pretty cool too. The guy who had this T18-LT230 combo ended up going with a NP435- Series T case instead in his Lightweight for some reason- I think the only reason he didn't go with the LT230/T18 was because of the 1.22 high range.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Yes it did not. Charlie Aarons (who is also an old Pirate guy and is also now on this board) was messing around with the combo years ago. Sort of like one of those parrot things, whether true or not somehow the word go out that NP200 guts would fit in a NP205 to make an offset NP205 (which would be unreal) but it is completely custom and requires machining and basically building a t-case, if at all possible. Not interested personally (when the LT230 and Land Cruiser cases are fine). So this is the case unfortunately..

Yorker

Adventurer
dieselcruiserhead said:
Yes it did not. Charlie Aarons (who is also an old Pirate guy and is also now on this board) was messing around with the combo years ago. Sort of like one of those parrot things, whether true or not somehow the word go out that NP200 guts would fit in a NP205 to make an offset NP205 (which would be unreal) but it is completely custom and requires machining and basically building a t-case, if at all possible. Not interested personally (when the LT230 and Land Cruiser cases are fine). So this is the case unfortunately..

It figures Charlie re-emerged with that info now, I swapped for a NP200 just before he posted that it wasn't possible without a lot of difficulty.

I keep trying to convince my brother to put an LT230 in his FJ55 with a OM617, Maybe he'll do it this summer. The LT230 has to be better than the TLC transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94