New guy...

revor

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
Yes and no. Pirate comes off cosmetically much worse than it actually is. Both JL and I have years in there believe it or not (and quite sad). For me it it related to jobs (such as mine currently) where I am basically flying a desk so it is acceptable to f-off on the internet for hours at a time... Our season slumped off so my co-workers are joking that they will find the end of the internet this summer... There, at pirate, it was just a little different. The tech is and will always be absolutely cutting edge. But it is main stream American, the popularity structure there works really oddly that nosedrives the site into what it comes off as. This is why growth there plateaued there years ago. But there is a spirit of building and ingenuity that cannot be parralled. But for me personally enough was enough... :)

Ahh Just taunting Andre..

I still go to Pirate see what's going on but only occasionally will I see something of great interest.. It's starting to get a a Little too discowebby at times..
Besides you're right in that if it's not a crazy rock buggy not many will be interested..

I came here becuase of the real world nature and after spending many years with the chest beaters (many are my friends) I too said enough is enough..

"Keith- didn't you used to make adapters to mate the t18 or t19 to the LT230? A friend of mine has one of those he keeps trying to sell me- Seems as though it would be a nice set-up. "

I made up Rick's then he cooked it in a fire.. Now it's nicely rebuilt. We where talking just the other night! I've made a few and they work pretty well and love the first gear!! The $435 is a little more sophisticated though.. Working on a Local guys thought of a 435/lt230 for his FJ60 and Merc Diesel set up currently...

Last edited:

Yorker

Adventurer
revor said:
"Keith- didn't you used to make adapters to mate the t18 or t19 to the LT230? A friend of mine has one of those he keeps trying to sell me- Seems as though it would be a nice set-up. "

I made up Rick's then he cooked it in a fire.. Now it's nicely rebuilt. We where talking just the other night! I've made a few and they work pretty well and love the first gear!! The $435 is a little more sophisticated though.. Working on a Local guys thought of a 435/lt230 for his FJ60 and Merc Diesel set up currently...

That fire was the thing that worried me about that adapter in particular.

I am waiting for Rick to decide what he wants for the combo. His lightweight is coming along nicely I need to post some more pics of it for him on his build thread on the LR USA forum...

[edit] here is Rick Lamb's lightweight build thread:http://www.landroverusaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535

Last edited:

Oilburner

Adventurer
Yorker said:
[bump]

JL, I've seen your Nov update on Pirate:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708183

Any more changes since then? A real world truck with a plow- that is awesome! ;)

Nothing yet. We've had a bit of snow so I got to play, but I picked up a fencepost at 15 mph and punched a hole through the lexan. I have a feeling that the polycarb is degraded/weakened due to sunlight, and the good news is a piece of polycarb in the correct size is only 80$.

There are a few projects languishing in my shop that need to move before I can start the axle swap (tractor and FJ45 that is getting my old Toyota axles), and I've been busy with firewood and other people's broken Toyotas - 99 4 runner with a broken bellhousing that took out both the T case and the transmission. UGLY.

DSCN1306.jpg

I'm hoping to pull the 109 apart next week. I will be updating the pirate thread as I go along...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles