Battleship Jones: 2015 Tacoma DCLB Build Thread

Martyinco

Adventurer
Truck is looking great!

Sub'd to this build, since it is the platform I would like to eventually build, and I'm also in Westminster would be cool to see a local build theirs up :wings:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Watch them do the alignment. They will want to crank the heck out of the lower cam bolts on the lower control arms, instead of adjusting that top cam nut on the new upper a-arm's. IMO they should do all the adjusting on the new upper a-arms.

Adventurous

Explorer
So a couple of buddies and I installed my lift and UCAs yesterday. We started at 8:15 or so in the morning and were done at 11:45, so it went pretty quickly. As expected, the most time consuming part of it was bending the sheet metal on the inside of the fender well to clear the bolts. All went well with the exception of the rear shocks, but I'll get to that later.

I started on the rear end first and had it apart pretty quickly. Removed the brake line bracket on the axle, removed the e-brake bracket on the leaf spring, and got the u-bolts off in short order. Given how new the truck is the leaf springs and hanger came off pretty quickly as well. I was able to wrestle the Dakar pack in by myself and truth be told, it wasn't that difficult. I didn't have to employ a bottle jack or significantly manipulate the spring to get all the holes lined up.

20141101-P1010215 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

And while I tackled the driver's side David was kind enough to get the passenger side going.

20141101-P1010211 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Meanwhile, Dan started getting the front suspension apart.

20141101-P1010212 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Given that we had done my 07 a mere 5 months ago it all went quickly up there as well. It took a little bit of massaging to get the fender wells bent out enough to allow the control arm bolt to clear. A lot of people reported having to lever on the lower control arm significantly to get it to drop far enough down to mount up the 886s, but we didn't encounter any issues. One person to push down on the lower control arm and one person to get the bolt aligned in there. It could have been done solo but was easier to employ help.

Looking awfully empty in here.

20141101-P1010216 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

There is little to mention about re-assembly other than we encountered an issue getting the OME rear shocks mounted. The shock body could not be rotated far enough forward to align with the shock hole in the tower. This is the closest we could get it.

20141101-P1010217 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Axle is at full droop in that picture by the way, and it isn't even close to lining up. I don't really want to grind out the shock mount to get things to fit. Emails have been sent to ARB and ToyTec to see if they have seen this before. I'm still waiting to hear back but in the mean time managed to stuff the stock shocks back in there. Unfortunately it only allows about 3/4" of droop before topping out...bad news bears. I'm hoping everything gets resolved quickly before something bad happens. I suppose if worst comes to worst I'd had to mount something like a set of Icons where the shock shaft is on the bottom end.

Battleship Jones has a new stance!

20141101-P1010218 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Now to get some proper tires on there...

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
Just for reference, the tools used when installing the OME lift and Light Racing upper control arms are as follows.

1 1/4" socket
22mm deep socket
21mm deep socket
19mm socket
19mm wrench!!! Necessary to do the driver's side front leaf spring bolt.
17mm socket and/or wrench
14mm socket
12mm socket
1/2" breaker bar & ratchet
3/8" breaker bar & ratchet
10mm socket
Dead blow hammer
Ball Pein hammer
Crescent wrench, Tongue & Groove pliers, and vice grips for bending back the fender well
Impact wrench

jpat30

Adventurer
Now to get some proper tires on there...

I see that you have them already.....:coffee: so what you waiting on? JK; The truck looks great. I love the DBL Cab LB set up. I think it is just about perfect.

Adventurous

Explorer
Shortly after having finished off the lift it became blatantly obvious that I badly needed an alignment. Luckily I had already set up an appointment with James at Tires Plus at 120th and Washington in Northglenn. Props to him because he had me straightened out and ready to rock pretty quickly.

Before and after alignment specs. Oh noes, so much red!

20141102-P1010222 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

And here it is on all fours again. Standing much taller. My GF had to pull some acrobatics to get up into it and shot me a dirty look about it being higher than the last one. :smiley_drive:

20141102-P1010219 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Impressions after lift and tires install are all great. The truck rides much more truck like with less wallow and diving. The 886 coils up front seem well matched to the additional weight of the ARB bumper and offer pleasant small bump compliance while still maintaining a firm feel. The tires are quite a bit quieter than I was anticipating and other than the low speed grumble of mud tires offer a pleasant ride. As expected, the braking and acceleration changed noticeably but being fairly conservative in both departments I doubt it will impact my driving style significantly.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
Did some fooling around with the rear shocks last night and the conclusion stays the same, they do not fit. Well, at least not if I value their integrity as a shock absorber. All pictures are taken with the full weight of the vehicle on the wheels. Here's what things look like.

Stock rear shock vs. OME. Significantly larger in diameter as well as the shock eyelet is much wider as well.

20141103-P1010223 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

When mounted, the inboard side barely clears the shock mount, the outboard side makes contact with the shock mount, and the top stud is not even close to lining up.

20141103-P1010225 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

20141103-P1010227 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

20141103-P1010228 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

And a picture of the shock mount in case anyone can confirm that it has changed in the '15 model year.

20141103-P1010229 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I have exchanged a couple of emails with ARB to get their take, apparently I'm the first person to run into this issue. Pending their response this afternoon I may run over to ToyTec to exchange the OME dampers for a set of non-reservoir Icons. I have a feeling the inverted design will allow the shock to clear the mount. But...we shall see.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I was going to suggest some inverter shocks as well, unless you want to cut and weld on new shock mounts. Strange.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Mine definitly look tight like that, but I had no problem getting the top stud in place. Bummer that you have to deal with it.

Adventurous

Explorer
Looks great! Coming along nicely!

Why thank you. It's been nice to be able to make constant and consistent progress. Not too too much more now before I'll have to slow down for a little bit.

I sure like the ARB bumper, nice looking set up so far!

Thanks!

Truck is looking great!

Sub'd to this build, since it is the platform I would like to eventually build, and I'm also in Westminster would be cool to see a local build theirs up :wings:

If you ever want to check it out in person just let me know. I'm more than happy to meet up for a beer and talk trucks.

Lookin good!

Thanks man! I just took a look through your last couple of build threads and can't help but send compliments your way for builds well done. Not to mention the photography in there is something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles