Battleship Jones: 2015 Tacoma DCLB Build Thread

Adventurous

Explorer
This winter I decided to tackle a makeover of my auxiliary electrical system. Why? Two reasons. One, I have 3 accessories that run off of relays. I didn't like having to find space in the engine bay to securely mount three relays and run all of the associated wiring to and from it for power, ground, and signal. Secondly, with the addition of the winch I had another item that needed to be wired in. It took me so long to get that wired up because I couldn't reconcile running a cable straight to the battery without a fusible link somewhere in there.

So those were the goals. Clean up the wiring I had going on (Blue Sea panel worked fine, it was just a little messier than I wanted), consolidate relays, and add provisions to fuse the winch circuit.

In the end the Bussmann blocks worked out the best for my needs. 5 relayed circuits, 5 fused circuits, it should be plenty to handle my current and future needs. I didn't take any pictures while building it because, honestly, the tutorial put together by Bodenzord does a FAR better job than I would have been willing to dedicate the time to.

Backside of the block showing where the magic happens. Each circuit has a pig tail that you simply plug into a wiring harness that feeds power and ground to your accessory. Relay circuits have a signal wire coming out which has been consolidated into a single signal harness to run into the cab. Power and ground feeds to the switches have also been consolidated into their own harness as well, so there are only two total wire bundles running into the cab.

IMG_2217 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

IMG_2214 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I used an Iggy switch panel to tuck the switches in the cubby in front of the cup holders. This meant dumping the CB radio, but given that I usually wheel alone, that was no big loss. 4 SPST switches from OTTRATW to control the roof light bar, the bumper light bar, the right camp lights and the left camp lights. I have one SPDT switch for the rear bumper lights that still needs to be hooked up which is why you'll see a free terminal. The second wiring harness with the white wires runs the switch illumination and independent ground.

IMG_2216 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

IMG_2215 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Here's the finished product installed in the engine bay. A while back I had cleaned up the corrosion on my battery terminals only to have it come back again a few months afterwards. Not cool, I needed to do something before the infection spread into the wiring and compromised it. I went ahead and brought my truck to Matt at Offgrid Engineering who cut off the OEM terminals and crimped on some ring terminals. At the same time he installed some mil-spec terminals to make wiring in my additional power and ground cables easier. The other thing to note is the jumper wire coming off of the Blue Sea 100A breaker. The breaker protects the Bussmann block with the jumper feeding a 400A ANL fuse for the winch. Figured the shorter the lead before the fuse the better. I preferred the winch to a disconnect only because I would hate to get into the death spiral of the winch pulling more current than it should, the wires heating up and losing conductivity leading to the winch pulling more current and melting the whole thing with the only stop being me manually flipping the disconnect. Might be overkill, might not be, better safe than sorry. Anyway, all wires loomed and tucked away as to look as OEM as possible.

20170525-DSC_2528 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

WickedSharp

c0aa271efe62f3008213cd3abf7fecf0.jpg

I wrestled my voyager into this spot in my Tacoma. I'm pretty tall and didn't want to worry about whacking my knee!

I will be pulling at travel trailer with mine and didn't know about the Torque monitor. I'll start researching!!

Adventurous

Explorer
c0aa271efe62f3008213cd3abf7fecf0.jpg

I wrestled my voyager into this spot in my Tacoma. I'm pretty tall and didn't want to worry about whacking my knee!

I will be pulling at travel trailer with mine and didn't know about the Torque monitor. I'll start researching!!

If you have an old Android phone or tablet to dedicate, it makes a wicked vehicle monitoring/code reader for the small price of $15 between Torque Pro and the bluetooth dongle. Although I have never had a Scangauge it makes sense to me that having a tablet with maps, service documents, music, and Torque is hard to beat.

man that bumper looks awesome, making me regret my pelfbuild bumper lol. how much was that?

Base bumper was $645, $350 per swing out, then $50 for the light cutouts, so a bit shy of $1400 for the bumper. I priced out the Pelfreybilt stuff and CBI as well but theirs were north of $2,000 with dual swing outs which was out of my price range. In my opinion the Bruteforce bumper was a bargain for what I got.

Managed to get out of town this weekend. Just went camping for a couple nights and had a great time. Explored all of the dirt roads we could find, took naps when we felt like it, got snowed on, the dogs had a great time, and we had good food. What more could you ask for from a long weekend?

On the plus side I picked up a Trasharoo to hang off of the spare tire and it was worth every penny of the $45 I spent. It's quite nice to tuck the trash bag into the Trasharoo during the day time so nothing stinks up the cab or bed (we do sleep in there after all) while traveling. Highly recommended.

IMG_2388 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

WickedSharp

If you have an old Android phone or tablet to dedicate, it makes a wicked vehicle monitoring/code reader for the small price of $15 between Torque Pro and the bluetooth dongle. Although I have never had a Scangauge it makes sense to me that having a tablet with maps, service documents, music, and Torque is hard to beat.

Sent you a pm. Which dongle did you use?

salstoy

What trail is that in Moab?? Absolutely stunning! Also love your OCD attention to detail on all the work.

Adventurous

Explorer
What trail is that in Moab?? Absolutely stunning! Also love your OCD attention to detail on all the work.

Thanks!

If you are referring to the picture of the trail with all the squiggles that's the beginning of the Shafer Trail in Arhces National Park. It's probably more recognizable as the typical start of the White Rim Trail. We went out on Potash Road instead of continuing on the White Rim trail, but some day I'll knock it all out.

Adventurous

Explorer
At some point earlier in the thread I had referred to the wife and I purchasing a travel trailer in anticipation of spending several months on the road next year. I had an opportunity to take it out for a week and ~1,000 miles this past week all over CO. Verdict: I can't express how much I hated the experience. I was apprehensive when purchasing it initially, my apprehension was validated, and I the wife is 100% on board now too (she wanted this one in the first place).

The setup:

IMG_2484 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Fleetwood Wilderness 19' trailer
3,400 lbs dry weight (from the factory), probably 3,100 or so after our renovation
Reese weight distribution hitch

Why?

Expectations: Not a big deal to tow. Any inconvenience I might encounter would be an afterthought once I experienced the comfort of a great indoor space at camp.

Reality: Mentally taxing to tow through the mountains of CO. Pegged at 30 mph up the mountain passes and sitting at 25 mph on the downs to keep things in control. The indoor space was nice, especially whereas it rained a pile during our trip. The size proved a bit too unwieldy for my likings and I didn't feel comfortable attempting to take it down mild forest service roads to get to some good boon docking type campsites.

While all specs are well within the 6,500 lb towing capacity of my Tacoma it was pure misery. Maybe sea level mostly flat towing wouldn't be a big deal but 10,000'+ mountain passes were less than pleasant. I was monitoring transmission temperatures and the max I saw was 247 with an average somewhere in the neighborhood of 225, both of which are well above where I'd like them to be. It wasn't all terrible however, I did get some time in backing up a trailer which should prove useful in the future.

So where do I go from here? Despite my best efforts I can't convince the wife that months on the road with our 3 dogs and sleeping in the bed of the truck is a good solution. So instead we will downsize to a built out cargo trailer, either a 6x8 with a v-nose or a 6x10. This will work out to be half the footprint and half the weight of the travel trailer with the upside being I'll build it to drag it out to those boondocking sites without fear of ripping something expensive off (almost tore a stabilizer jack and the rear bumper off this one). It will most certainly be a more rudimentary solution but that was my desire in the first place. After months refurbing this one it shall move on to a new home. Lesson learned, you win some and you lose some. I lost this round.

And a few pictures from the trip so the whole experience wasn't a complete waste of time!

Exploring the woods near Telluride on the way up to a lake that was surprisingly gated off after miles of forest road driving. :rolleyes:

IMG_2514 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

On the plus side we got to see a field of wildflowers CO is known for.

IMG_2511 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

And lastly, my favorite one from the trip, a gorgeous sunset over the Animas Forks ghost town. Totally worth driving back in the dark.

IMG_2492 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
In preparation for this trip I needed to source a better solution for the fire extinguisher. Previously it has kind of gone wherever I could stuff it which isn't exactly conducive to deploying it in the event of a fire which is the whole purpose in the first place.

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher...srs=13177821011&ie=UTF8&qid=1501004976&sr=8-1
along with this: https://www.amazon.com/KID21006287-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SMXAQ0R3HPSH6K4FGAS6

to put together this:

IMG_2485 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

The Bracketeer is a pretty solid product that offers enough adjustment to satisfy almost everyone's desires. In the Tacoma the limitation is really with shorter drivers who put the seat up quite far. In this case the fire extinguisher will limit that range of motion. I did my best to tuck it into the seat while retaining enough ROM to allow the wife to drive the truck as well. The Kidde is a regular old off the shelf model that came with the plastic bracket. It will eventually find it's way into the wife's car while I source a better BC rated extinguisher and bracket. But it will suffice for the time being.

DaVikes

Adventurer
I towed a mini skid loader once, just around Denver. It and the trailer totaled about 3000 lbs and I hated that too. Just not enough power. Since you mentioned getting another trailer, just today I ran into Lorrie, who founded Crux Expedition Trailers. I didn't realize they are local. I saw the trailers at a show earlier this year. They are nice quality, and roomy, but not hard sided like a cargo trailer. But since they are local I thought I'd give them a plug. http://www.cruxexpeditiontrailers.com

Adventurous

Explorer
I can't imagine towing 3400lbs up a mountain pass in the Taco. Just not what it's meant to do.

I think you'll be fine with the smaller trailer ideas you have. I'd love an off-road oriented tear-drop myself.

I have that same bracket and absolutely hate how it mounts to the seat's rails. It never occurred to me to flip it upside down and mount to the seat's bolts the way you did it. Great idea! Will re-mount mine the same way.

Glad I could help! I already tried to sell the wife on the idea of an offroad tear drop but with 3 dogs I'm not sure it's a good fit for us. Always a game of compromises!

I towed a mini skid loader once, just around Denver. It and the trailer totaled about 3000 lbs and I hated that too. Just not enough power. Since you mentioned getting another trailer, just today I ran into Lorrie, who founded Crux Expedition Trailers. I didn't realize they are local. I saw the trailers at a show earlier this year. They are nice quality, and roomy, but not hard sided like a cargo trailer. But since they are local I thought I'd give them a plug. http://www.cruxexpeditiontrailers.com

Huh, those are pretty cool. Never seen them before. Right now I'm perusing the offerings from Colorado Trailers such as this guy...

1_35653_2101770_48161725.jpg

The idea is to pair that with a Lock n Roll or Max Coupler and hopefully it will be small and light enough that doesn't feel like towing something too big. The goal weight is 1,600 lbs or less fully built up.

tony2018

Hi,

New here and looking for ways to upgrade my 1st tacoma for camping and saw your build. It totally sucks that photobucket has restricted access to your photo's because i'm pissed I can't see what you've been doing. I do see where you rescued that doggy.

I see you're looking to downgrade because of the tow weight and what your tacoma can handle. If you can build your trailer similar to the Patriot X1 you would be straight.

Adventurous

Explorer
Hi,

New here and looking for ways to upgrade my 1st tacoma for camping and saw your build. It totally sucks that photobucket has restricted access to your photo's because i'm pissed I can't see what you've been doing. I do see where you rescued that doggy.

I see you're looking to downgrade because of the tow weight and what your tacoma can handle. If you can build your trailer similar to the Patriot X1 you would be straight.

Thanks and welcome! Looks like I have to go back and start fixing broken links. Big ole' middle finger to you Photobucket. I hope I still have them all.

That's the goal! Especially considering the Patriot X1 cost more than I paid for my truck (without mods of course)...

Adventurous

Explorer
How are the new brakes now working for you?

I love the increased bite and stopping power. I can positively say that they saved me from rear ending someone on the highway when traffic panic stopped (of course I got rear ended, hence the Bruteforce rear bumper). Can't comment on life at the moment as I only have ~10K on the pads, but even if I only got 25K out of them I will happily fork out the cash again. IMO you can never have too much braking power; I'll be swapping in stainless lines next to eek out a bit more performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne