Overland style 2 Dr Jeeps... Pics?

dpicard154

My bone-stock 2-door TJ was perfect for my 2 year, 40k mile Alaska->Argentina adventure.

I never needed more than 600kms of range, which I could do on the stock tank, and I slept in a ground tent.

-Dan

Dan, Reading my way through your Alaska to Argentina blog. I've got to say I'm impressed, jealous, humbled, and more than a little inspired. Thank you for sharing . -Dave

combolc

Speaking of fitting in the garage, when I had the Conqueror, JK 2-door, and MINI Cooper, it all fit.

100_0573.jpg

perfect fit

combolc

Its a one off made of stainless. It was made to fit a Toyota and I bought it off a buddy. A couple welds actually broke about 10 miles past where the picture was taken and I haven't had time to find someone to fix it that can weld stainless. I'd like to make a couple alterations to the design as well to better fit a Jeep. I had to use a hitch extender to get the cans to clear the spare tire which wasn't great.

Here is a different angle.

Thanks, that is a better view. Definitely a great concept.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer

Taken while camped on the Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana, on my way to a hunt in Wyoming. I was gone about 10 days. Love it!

Hunt was successful too. :)

Ten days worth of supplies and gear, two-door JK. No problem. Just think like a backpacker:

Then the Jeep seems like luxury! Two coolers? Well yeah! Gotta have room for the deer & antelope steaks!

Guy

Last edited:

Terex

Adventurer
IMG_0972.jpg

At a campground in Flagstaff before heading out to Ruby Point remote camping on south rim of Grand Canyon.

toymaster

Explorer
My jeep is set up for overlanding with the additions of a little more lift, bigger tires, and more suspension articulation. A package that fits my usage.

When buying my jeep I was trying to getting away from the off road limitation of a long bed crew cab. The shorter wheel base of the 2dr fit my needs better. I use my jeep like a large side x side atv. Of course, space is always the issue but the larger the vehicle the more cons it has off road. What I do is take the back seat out if it is just me and up to one other person. The space in the back is plenty for a several day camping trip plus the seat weights a lot, less weight is always good. A roof rack has limitations off road as well along with road noise, just like adding a basket to the hitch for cargo ruins approach and departure angles. The trailer allows for an easy base camp with all my stuff and allows a fully capable trail rig to explore the area. Pulling a trailer presents its own set of challenges but for me it works. Plus I have a fetish with trailers; I have no less than six different types. No approach to cargo handling is inherently wrong one just has to work within its limitations.

IMG-20110924-00238-M.jpg

Some places you just don't want a trailer.

IMG-20110924-00230-M.jpg

IMG-20120713-00038-M.jpg

IMG-20130108-00136-M.jpg

IMG-20130107-00119-M.jpg

The jeep setup is 98% where I want it. So, I turned my attention to making the trailer more trail worthy. Matching tires and more ground clearance than the jeep is pretty standard. I have 18 gallons of fuel cans which doubles the range of the 18.5 gallon factory Jk fuel tank. The overkill parts may be the planned set of 6' ramps that store under the trailer frame, an additional rear winch on the jeep (makes it so I do not have to turn around to winch the trailer), and a specially designed skid for the trailer tongue used while winching so it does not dig into the ground. I may never use the additional capability but creating the capability is a hobby of mine.

:coffeedrink:

OldGreen

Packed for off the grid:
20141006_114538.jpg

Deployed

1412638782320.jpg

Very comfortable for many days at a time. I am in the process of reconfiguring it though. When I cage it over the winter, I may put on an RTT.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Here's my 06 TJ, I've slowly converted it to an expo style rig that works really well for myself, my wife about our dog

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 50

grogie

Like to Camp
Great looking TJ....Exactly what I like to see in 2 doors. trailer looks great

Thank you! It's very comfortable and fun to travel in... perfect for the wife and I. I've done a lot of work to it, as the latest upgrade were Metalcloak Duroflex aluminum control arms.

ddaf24.jpg

Is this a Savvy front bumper?

It is a Savvy... Good eye! I painted it, but it needs painting again. Funny thing is at how much heavier the winch is...

9oxk.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Here is my 2013 Jeep MOAB. It came with AEV bumpers, hood and front skid plate. I have added the AEV snorkel, rear water tanks and takeoff Rubicon wheels and tires. The Jeep does not have lockers, as I feel they are really not necessary for my use. It will have a winch for extrications. My next additions are a Gobi Stealth roof rack and an AEV rear tire carrier. I may also add a hardtop as I never take the soft top off. I'd rather have the security of the hardtop.

The JKU did not fit my planned usage either. My daughter is grown and it is rare that someone actually rides in the back seat. I like having it but it's not used much. I feel that a 4-door Jeep would just be too big for use on the trail and is too much like a station wagon or a mini van, to me. Way too much room there. But I grew up with 2-door Jeep CJs.

I'm currently rebuilding a Schutt Industries LQG military trailer that I bought surplus from Government Liquidation. All of my gear and equipment will go in the trailer. A James Baround tent will be carried on a trailer rack. Extra fuel, additional batteries, camping gear, refrigerator, food, stove, water heater, water, and a shower will go into the trailer. I'd like to equip it with a solar system as well. Looking at that now. The Jeep will only carry recovery gear and personal items. It will use a single battery but have it's own separate solar system to keep the battery up and running. I already have that, just waiting on funds to buy the rack and add it.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

combolc

Here is my 2013 Jeep MOAB. It came with AEV bumpers, hood and front skid plate. I have added the AEV snorkel, rear water tanks and takeoff Rubicon wheels and tires. The Jeep does not have lockers, as I feel they are really not necessary for my use. It will have a winch for extrications. My next additions are a Gobi a Stealth roof rack and an AEV rear tire carrier. I may also add a hardtop as I never take the soft top off. I'd rather have the security of the hardtop.

The JKU did not fit my planned usage either. My daughter is grown and it is rare that someone actually rides in the back seat. I like having it but it's not used much.

I'm currently rebuilding a Schutt Industries LQG military trailer that I bought surplus from Government Liquidation. All of my gear and equipment will go in the trailer. A James Baround tent will be carried on a trailer rack. Extra fuel, additional batteries, camping gear, refrigerator, food, stove, water heater, water, and a shower will go into the trailer. I'd like to equip it with a solar system as well. Looking at that now. The Jeep will only carry recovery gear and personal items. It will use a single battery but have it's own separate solar system to keep the battery up and running. I already have that, just waiting on funds to buy the rack and add it.

SamM

View attachment 254977

View attachment 254976

Nice... Love to see your trailer build once started.

WOODY2

Adventurer
2012 JK w/ 100 watt solar on rack, 50 qt ARB, rear bumper holds 7.5 gal of water with on demand pump,12 gal aux fuel, propane etc
IMG_0077.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94