"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You should be fine with the leveling kit. Also, just put a set of bags in the rear for when carrying lots of extra weight. I have a 15 Sahara rented here in Montreal, it must have a low number spring as it is very mushy feeling compared to my sport with 59s. Must be like 55's in the rear an maybe 15 up front.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I spent way too long building drawers for my Land Cruiser. They were great but weighed a ton. I love the Black Widow and Mac Tie Downs JKU drawer design, but I don't want to add a static 150lbs to the Jeep. And I want to retain the flat floor for sleeping in the cab. So I'm going back to Action Packers and a shelf.

I started building a shelf but scrapped it and sent the extrusion back in favor of Frontrunners shelf. It's very solid and works quite well.

I finished installing the Dominion Off Road Hi-lift Jack and accessory mount this weekend. Turns out you can tap the holes on the accessory mount to 1/4"-20 for a real slick installation. I don't like having the weight up so high but it has a lot of advantages.
  • Utilizes wasted space.
  • Costs way less than a swing out tire carrier.
  • Keeps the jack and accessories securely locked inside.
  • Keeps the corrosion prone jack out of the elements.
  • When I do get a tire carrier, I can use more weight for gas.
  • Keeps the outside looking stock.

IMG_8607.JPG

Sorry for the crappy pictures. The iPhone 6 camera isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I could tell....:sombrero:

You might want to get a cargo net to divide the cargo area and passenger area. Dirty dog makes a good one. and easily removable to sleep. But keeps things from being projectiles and taking you out. I am very conscious of this now since one of my friends dad was driving his parts van, went off the road and got a brake rotor in the neck and is now paralized from the head down.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That came out great. Another good thing about mounting the stuff at the top of the roll bar, is thieves tend to look down, not up.
My vote would be aluminum sheet. It's the lightest and stiffest of the two.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy

I also did not get drawers and sliders, I wanted low weight and be abile to sleep in there. I got the Front runner interior rack, it hides stuff under and I can put stuff on it if I want to sleep in the vehicle. As a divider I got a net from www.safaristraps.com

I can open my lid on my Waeco 40 under the interior rack, I dont have a slider because I dont think it will be comfortable to sleep on.

I also have the trailgater, its great.

I have some random pictures here

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/10th_anniversary_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_unlimited_&page=all

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I could tell....:sombrero:

You might want to get a cargo net to divide the cargo area and passenger area. Dirty dog makes a good one. and easily removable to sleep. But keeps things from being projectiles and taking you out. I am very conscious of this now since one of my friends dad was driving his parts van, went off the road and got a brake rotor in the neck and is now paralized from the head down.

Yup, I'm pretty concious of that. Anything hard or heavy gets secured to something. All the stuff on the roll bar is held on with Quikfists that should be able to handle it. The T-Slotting on the new shelf gives me a ton of top, bottom and side mounting options. I'm looking at adding a long gun rack over the back seat for long guns and fly fishing rods. It'll be nice to get them out of harm's way, while being easily accessible and somewhat hidden.

I'm also looking at adding a fire extinguisher mount to the roll bar, a mount in the rear corner for a Zodi Extreme shower, and an interior mount for 2-gallon rotopax to the shelf.

Howdy

I also did not get drawers and sliders, I wanted low weight and be abile to sleep in there. I got the Front runner interior rack, it hides stuff under and I can put stuff on it if I want to sleep in the vehicle.

Yup, that's where I got the idea for the design. My friend at LabRak said they're coming out with one, but I didn't want to wait. I figured for $100, I'd give making my own a try. The side mounting parts turned out ot be a PITA. Luckily, it was the cheapest part. I may redesign mine to mount more like FrontRunner's but with 80/20 so you can change the cross bar spacing. After installing mine, I realized what a ***** it'll be to ever take the top off.

I really want the Tailgaiter table, but I'm having trouble justifying a $300 table that only holds 40lbs. I'm tempted to make my own or modify Teraflex's.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I decided to give up on the shelf build and send the 80/20 back. It worked but it wasn't as elegant as I liked and I could feel the time and cost creeping up. I'm buying Frontrunners shelf.

The Jeep's first bigger trip will be my groups annual Thanksgiving trip to Death Valley. I need to prioritize my time and money leading up to the trip.

Things I'm definitely going to install before the trip:
FrontRunner Shelf
Rotopax mount to the shelf
CB and Ham Antennas and mounts
Dual Battery system
Rear 12v plug
Ham radio
Hopefully I'll get to my light bar.

Luckily I already own that stuff.

These are things I'd like to buy and install for the trip but not sure how to prioritize:
$300 - Tailgate table - Probably the Outback Tailgater or Teraflex's.
This is real essential since I don't have a table or tailgate to cook on anymore.

$150 - Dana 44 diff covers.
With the stock ground clearance, I've watched my friends rear diff hit some nasty rocks on moderate DV roads.

$400 Evo ProTek Skid Plate System
I'd rather install skidplates before I need to and there are some underbelly eating rocks in DV.

$450 Kodiak Tent
I sold my Turbo Tent and don't have a tent that can handle two people, a dog and cots in real foul weather. Last year there were high winds, sleet and freezing temperatures. I don't trust my Coleman tent to handle that.

I'll probably just get the tent.

dstock

Explorer
I've got a black ARB Dana 44 diff cover I was going to put up for sale, pm me if you are interested.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
For the table, how about getting something like this for your trip.
http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/camping-gear-316971.html?src=bing_pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=[roi]+cgo+-+product+ads&utm_content=all+products
I have a couple of this type tables, and use them for all kinds of stuff.
They can be had for about $50. And that would let you focus on other things like the tent.

Maybe Santa could bring you a Trailgater for Christmas.

Good call. A flip down tailgate table would be great. My gut tells me to build one for way less, but I don't want to get into another cluster-**** project.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
So, just out of curiosity, with the stock Rubi bumpers, what will you use as jacking points for the Hi-Lift? Do you have the Lift Mate straps? If so, have you tried them out yet?

I like the Jeep, my eventual plan is similar to yours.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
My plan is to use the lift mate, or a bottle jack or the oem sliders as a last resort. You can jack from the trailer hitch but it isn't ideal.

In theory the hi lift thing that hooks into the wheel would be ideal. Then you're lifting the wheel off the ground immediately instead of just unloading the suspension first. Seems safer.

I never jacked from the bumper on my land cruiser. I used the sliders, but then you'd unload the suspension and end up lifting both tires on one side.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Just want to help or so:)

As Iam lazy and have no technical skills I offen go the easy way. For instance, the frontrunner interior rack is very easy to install without any drillings and dont have to remove the top or so. some shelfs need that You take of the hardtop to be installed, not for me:)

I dont even own a power drill:wings:

I also choosed the trailgater because I did not have to drill anything and take some minutes to install and I like that it is in stainless steel becasue I have food on it and it is easier to keep clean compared to if it has paint on it. I mean I have stainless steel in my kitchen :) I do think the Trailgater is little to expensive. If I take out the cutting board the table will enlarge. I also like that the trailgater have a back to protect the tailgate paint, alot of grease and other stuff will come on the back when cooking, the Teraflex table lacks that.

152596012.jpg

Look how easy it is to install

Here is the Teraflex table install, not for me

I dont even know how to install a dual battery system so I went the easy way with the Goal Zero 400 that is easely portable. As I normally stay for one place one day, it is capable to power my fridge over night and power some lights. I can repower the Yeti when I am driving via the vehicle 12v power outlet or with my Goal Zero solar panels. I thought about the ARK-Pak but it takes more space and I think I dont need so much power.

My Yeti 400

156443974.jpg

Here I moved the Yeti 400 to the tent for powering my Goal Zero lights.

156605196.jpg

if we are many on a tour and have little space bring my Helinox chairs, that are very small and light.

It goes about 3 Helinox chairs on one small regular chair.

150728788.jpg

My Goal Zero and the Helinox chairs can be seen in my video

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Just had to ad more info on the Trailgater, that is when the table is folded there are a small space for plates, food, knifes etc.

All the stuff on the table here and more will fit in the space when folded.

149658600.jpg

When folded

149672192.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles