"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

CYK

Adventurer
The perfect brand doesn't exist. So until someone makes a brand that's equal parts off road oriented fun, premium customer service, and high attention to detail and reliability, we'll all just have to pick which quality is most important.

What?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsize24

Thanks! The driving lens pattern is there for a purpose, but I do understand some people simply don't like the look. The look of the lens, and the fact that they are glass instead of plastic, was an attractant for me, and the quality of light output and low cost was a bonus. The hot spots on low beam with the truck lights seemed almost like spots to me instead of a driving light from my impression of them on a friends Jeep, is that what you are referring too? If so, I agree, and it probably is a bit annoying after driving with them for extended periods.

Good luck getting them fixed. Hopefully they stand up with their product and make it right for you.

Nice looking Jeep. That's the color I originally wanted but my wife vetoed.

I wasn't a fan of the old school lens and I wanted something that used both the high and low beams at once when the highs are on. The JW speaker headlights seem the best but I hate the look and price. No offense to anyone who has them. The hot spots on the trucklites are more annoying than I expected but the high beams make up for it.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I too was afraid of any warranty issues, so that's why I used dielectric grease, strong zip ties and electrical tape to secure everything. It is as stable as it can get without ditching connectors and soldering which I did not feel comfortable doing, and it didn't seem like there was enough slack/excess wire there in case something went wrong either. Here are two pics of how I made secured the harness:

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

I had the exact thing done. The connections still were not making full contact. There are ways to hide little fixes like that.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Thanks! The driving lens pattern is there for a purpose, but I do understand some people simply don't like the look. The look of the lens, and the fact that they are glass instead of plastic, was an attractant for me, and the quality of light output and low cost was a bonus. The hot spots on low beam with the truck lights seemed almost like spots to me instead of a driving light from my impression of them on a friends Jeep, is that what you are referring too? If so, I agree, and it probably is a bit annoying after driving with them for extended periods.

Good luck getting them fixed. Hopefully they stand up with their product and make it right for you.

Update: They're standing behind their product a little too much. Truck Lite must think it's the light itself. They're sending me a new one. I just asked if it might be the anti flicker module. So we'll see what they say.

I didn't really need brighter lights for day to day driving since I live in the city. I needed brighter street legal high-beams for driving to destinations in the desert. A few times I had to drive with the low beams and fogs on and just squint because the highbeams are so dangerously dim. That's why I got the Trucklites. Both beams stay on when in high-beam mode.

UPDATE: Trucklite thinks it's the lamp itself. All the connections seemed pretty solid. And I haven't had any issues in the past with plugs like that losing connection. Great customer support.

Hi Adam,

Based on your description, we feel this is a problematic lamp and will be able to evaluate once it's returned. We appreciate your patience and understanding - but most important your support,

Regards,
Jamie

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I replaced one because I thought it was the light too, got the new one installed, same thing. But one of the lights had a different color so they sent me two brand new lights. both are the same color now.

WOrks great, and are bright as F&*K

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
A different dealer supposedly took a look at the grinding. They said it's nothing with the transmission. Started blaming skid plates or heat shields. Hopefully that's true and they don't charge me to have looked at it. I know it's not the lift or heat shields because it's been doing it for awhile. It could be the belly pan skidplate because that's been on for awhile. Maybe I'll take it off and confirm that it's that.

For a brand built on off roading, you'd think they'd be open minded about off roading. My truck isn't highly modified to any degree. It's not like I brought them a custom rock crawler. Stock wheels, tires, suspensions, etc. Just an after market skid plate, spring spacers and some airbags in the rear springs. Seems like it's time to stop taking it to the dealer and find a good independent Jeep shop.

Same dealer did a 30,000 mile service on my wife's car the day before and couldn't find anything wrong with the brakes that lose pressure at stop lights or the steering wheel that centers at 11 o' clock. But did manage to charge $200 for an oil change and tire rotation. Car warranties seem like a scheme to get you to overpay for basic service.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear your struggle with this.
Dealers really struggle with getting decent technicians, and sometimes just hire warm bodies to fill the bays.
If you have documentation that they at least confirmed your complaint, you can elevate the issue by contacting 1(800) iamjeep. That will at least elevate the situation, and you may get someone who is more than just a warm body.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I might be the idiot here. A rock did push my Evo slid into the crossover exhaust pipe in January. And I don't recall when the grind started. That could be the cause. I'm going to drop the skid and see if the sensation goes away and bend it back.

I get the impression that the dealership business model is a little broken. I wonder if Internet pricing has made the service department the soul Cashcow of the business.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Good news: it was indeed a faulty Truck Lite headlight. The new one is much brighter and matches the color and output of the DS headlight. I tried to align them but cranked them up a little too high. But overall, I'm much happier with the light output.

If you look at the wall, there's a black strip of tape 3' off the ground in the middle of the light hot spot. It seems a little too high now. Street signs light up as I drive by.

M0fN8qhBQLA-BdCm8eo2D7gQ3eaXVuw0g9w1nu4ZQWb_=w789-h593-no

KLWb1acrts2iIL_yrimZTMsGB9w3ENd7ywHSSHH2pEh5=w792-h593-no

Terrible glare through the windshield, but to give you an idea on a semi bright city street.

HIGH BEAM:
IMG_3290.JPG

LOW + FOG:

IMG_3291.JPG

LOW:

IMG_3292.JPG

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
While doing a 5 wheel rotation this weekend, I installed my 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Adapters. So everything should be 35" tire ready. But I'll still probably do the real deal AEV 3.5" lift first.

I don't know if it's because of the tire rotation or the spacers, but the tire noise is way louder with the windows open now. I had to turn up the radio several notches.

Wheel%2BSpacers.jpg

And maybe my coolest mod yet, these neat oil change stickers a member of Wrangler Forum was selling.

0ef0IGTSMm7XoBdoyYBTdNW0ANkMVWjyYDLFTQA5M5-u=w732-h549-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz