"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Hi

Just had to ad more info on the Trailgater, that is when the table is folded there are a small space for plates, food, knifes etc.

All the stuff on the table here and more will fit in the space when folded.

149658600.jpg

When folded

149672192.jpg

Thanks for all the info Omar! That's the route I'm going now. I'm sending my aluminum extrusion back to 80/20 and negotiated a deal on a Frontrunner shelf. I plan to get the Tailgater right before my trip since it's so easy to install and kind of a necessity. It'd be nice if you could mount the stove to the table somehow.

I installed the M.O.R.E. dual battery tray this weekend. I'm pretty disappointed. You can't use the OEM battery with the OEM battery cables. And the nylon strap they provide doesn't really hold the batteries in place. My Group 34 Die Hard Platinum Marine battery can easily slide an inch back and forth. And can easily tip and wobble. This movement would stress the wiring, possible damage other OEM wiring and definitely scratch the battery tray causing rust. The real ****ty part is that you have to cut the OEM battery tray in half to install theirs. So the mod is essentially irreversible. I'm contacting them to get my money back and bought another OEM battery tray.

Last edited:

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I love my Trailgator. It is probably one of the coolest mods I have done.

It is also one of the most commented on mod I have done by my friends! I always have a chair or two in the jeep, WALA instant picnic table!!!!

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info Omar! That's the route I'm going now. I'm sending my aluminum extrusion back to 80/20 and negotiated a deal on a Frontrunner shelf. I plan to get the Tailgater right before my trip since it's so easy to install and kind of a necessity. It'd be nice if you could mount the stove to the table somehow.

I installed the M.O.R.E. dual battery tray this weekend. I'm pretty disappointed. You can't use the OEM battery with the OEM battery cables. And the nylon strap they provide doesn't really hold the batteries in place. My Group 34 Die Hard Platinum Marine battery can easily slide an inch back and forth. And can easily tip and wobble. This movement would stress the wiring, possible damage other OEM wiring and definitely scratch the battery tray causing rust. The real ****ty part is that you have to cut the OEM battery tray in half to install theirs. So the mod is essentially irreversible. I'm contacting them to get my money back and bought another OEM battery tray.

Have a look at the Genesis Offroad dual battery kit. I never liked the fact that on the M.O.R.E. kit the batteries were held by a strap so I did some searching and found that one. Looks to be about the best option, but you definitely pay for it.

dstock

Explorer
The Genesis dual battery tray replaces the entire OEM tray, so you wouldn't need another OEM tray, worth a look.

dstock

Explorer
Toxicity beat me to it! That said I have 2 group 31s in my More tray that are snug, and OEM cables worked without issue. .

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Group 31's would have been a great idea if I didn't already have two expensive 34s from my old truck. I think you could rig up a way to keep them secure, but I don't know that it's worth it.

The space is so tight in the engine compartment, I'm worried about the wires rubbing through their shielding and shorting. Or a battery shifting and crushing the OEM wiring to the fuse box. Even if I kept the dual battery tray, I'd need to buy a new primary battery.

I ordered a new OEM battery tray for $70. And $30 worth of Vacuum Solenoid clips. I broke all the originals. Making this a $100 mistake so far. I'm planning to run just the Die Hard Platinum 34 in the Jeep. And I'll stick the new OEM battery in my wife's car. Her current battery is 3-years old.

I'd feel better having a dual battery system, but I think the complications may not be worth it. Toward the end of owning my Land Cruiser, I had constant problems with my dual battery system. They all turned out to be lose wire lugs. But it's frustrating having your fridge, lights, HAM radio and air compressor connected to a non charging battery. Maybe there is something to be said for simplicity.

I'm selling my new T-max kit on the classifieds if anyone wants it. If I end up deciding I need a dual battery system, I'll probably spend the many extra dollars for the Genesis. Maybe when I get a winch.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Thanks to all Dstock's help, I may give modding the MORE tray a try before giving up on it. To his point. I've already done all the hard parts. I don't know if he wants to share this, but his battery set up looks great.

WP_20141028_09_30_43_Pro.jpg

independent

Independent

The Genesis is pretty clean, but won't fit stock batteries. I'm really happy with it so far, especially in tandem with the Spod. The monitoring system fits in the middle of the Spod toggles inside. Pretty cool. The National Luna set up is nice too, I run that on my Bronco.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks to all Dstock's help, I may give modding the MORE tray a try before giving up on it. To his point. I've already done all the hard parts. I don't know if he wants to share this, but his battery set up looks great.

The M.O.R.E. tray is not a bad set up just the directions are well less than great. I did a bit of modification to mine but if came out really great IMO. Here is a link to my set up for the money it is a great way to go, the Genesis Offroad set up is cool and they will sell just the tray($250) if you wanted to do you own wiring.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132179-My-Jeep-JKU-dual-battery-tray-install

Jurfie

Adventurer
Have a look at the Genesis Offroad dual battery kit. I never liked the fact that on the M.O.R.E. kit the batteries were held by a strap so I did some searching and found that one. Looks to be about the best option, but you definitely pay for it.

Dang, that is a nice complete package...great for those who are...shall we say: challenged...when it comes to automotive wiring/electrical systems (like me!). Adding to my build wishlist!

dstock

Explorer

Thanks, glad to have helped and happy to share.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I had a few ideas of how to salvage the MORE tray. We'll see if they pan out. Also installed a nice mod today. Will post up about it later.

Ordered all the parts to wire an always on interior fusebox. I'll post about it when I finish. This is turning into quite the covert mod. Everything I'd done so far is on the inside, hidden or under the hood. The opposite of most JK builds I see. IMHO, JKUR's look best stock but with a 2-3" lift and 35" MTs.

For example:

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-29%2Bat%2B3.27.44%2BPM.jpeg

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I finally got some mods installed.

I visited Front Runner Outfitters' new location in Agoura Hills and picked up their JK Interior Shelf and Stainless Steel Tie Down Rings. There are a lot of little spaces to store things.

IMG_8761.JPG

IMG_8762.JPG

And I installed Dominion Off Road's Hi-Lift mount and accessory mount.

IMG_8773.JPG

I also got the second battery in there. Dstock's tip to use a rubber mallet and socket to seat the ring terminals worked. And He's right, I already did most of the hard work. I've have some ideas of how to solve the movement issue.

IMG_8698.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier