Ram Power Wagon

jream2008

Hello all, I have been looking at my next expedition vehicle. I want some serious offroad-ability (which I currently have with my 4-door Jeep Wrangler), but also the ability to take my family of four plus camping/hiking/playing gear for up to a week. I'm also interested in mounting a large rooftop tent (or maybe small camper) and am interested in the ability to tow (trailer with couple of UTVs). Because I can't buy a MAN/Unicat here in the US (or afford one), I'm thinking that a full-size 4x4 pickup might be the best answer.

What do people think of the Ram Power Wagon? I like it because of the lockers - a real critical element of a 4x4 in my mind. Plus it's large inside with plenty of cargo space, and it should be able to tow what I'm looking at. But:
- It looks like it only has 1,500lbs of payload capability, which isn't a ton for the kind of trips I'm talking about.
- It doesn't have a TON of towing capability (as opposed to a regular Ram 2500, especially with a diesel).
- Am I giving up too much just to get lockers?

And just for kicks, how should I think about that relative to the upcoming AEV Ram?

Thanks all!

Haakon

Observer
The Powerwagon has more than just lockers, it has the push button swaybar disconnect, factory winch, factory 33" tires. It doesn't have as much capacity as a 2500 Ram, but do you need that capacity?

The AEV Ram is very cool, but will probably cost twice what a Powerwagon goes for. I like their idea of the biggest tires with the smallest lift and think it looks great.

PowerWagner

Explorer
As an owner for 2 years now and one that seriously contemplated a Rubi but went with the added comfort, towing ability, and capacity, I have not once been disappointed in my decision. Sure I'm probably biased (as a psychologist would tell us I need to support my decision) but really, I have been very pleased. The only two draw backs I'd offer are gas mileage and that it is easy to pin stripe because of its size. the lessened carrying capacity and towing capacity have more to do with the rear suspension as it is tuned to provide a good amount of flex. I have a cap on the back and an old fashioned carpet kit I use as a sleeping platform. Plenty of room for a family of four to travel and sleeps my wife and I in the bed with plenty of room. Kids in the cab (two benches - one front, one back) with more than enough room or hit the tent if we're not towing our pop up camper. The toughest trail I've taken the rig on is Metal Masher in Moab and it had no problems. Climbs steep hills with ease. On all of the runs I've been on with the So Cal group almost all of the other rigs have been much smaller. there is nothing the big pig was not able to keep up with although maybe a little more cautiously but that could just be me. It is hardy. I wheeled for 6 hours in plus 100 degree Moab heat and then drove it from Moab to Southern California that evening in 100 degree heat. It may have rested for 2 hours in between plus gas station stops :). I would like a little stiffer front end as the hemi is heavy and my driving skills lead to some bottom outs and a little more clearance for break over. Will be working on those soon. But for all intents and purposes I really don't need to do. Good luck with your decision its a tough one... New stuff comes out all the time and trade offs are tough if your like me and want it all :)

Cleghorn II 9-2014.jpgCleghorn_2014-16-X3.jpgCleghorn 9-2014.jpg

PowerWagner

Explorer
One other pic... This is my set up. All recovery gear is tucked under the sleeping platform or in the cubbies. I've got an aux battery with an inverter in one of the cubbies as well as four twelve volt outlets for fans, lights, phone, etc. all the gear on the outside slides up under as well with the exception of the 65 qt cooler. I move the last section of the platform out of the way to clear the height. Easy to load and go. image.jpg

PowerWagner

Explorer
I guess I'm on a roll. One other pic... You mention family of four for a week. I haven't needed to yet but I've got a rack that I can put on the cap. As mentioned haven't needed to really load with the exception of some fire wood. It's off now as it makes my already sucky gas mileage suck more...image.jpg

Timgco

Adventurer
I just got rid of a '14JK that I built as a rig for hunting, mtn biking, camping, etc. Very capable offroad, you could drive it cross country loaded up, and tow a small trailer if needed.
I changed things up a little as I wanted a capable full size rig. I wanted more room and more towing/ hauling capacity than I had with the JK. I did not need a diesel truck, but wanted some power. The 6.4L in the 2014 Power Wagon was exactly what I wanted.

I fitted mine with 35" Toyo MT's on the stock height suspension. Although, you cannot fit a 35" spare under the bed of the new '14s. 33.25" is pretty much filled out back there. So, to have a full size spare, it's going to have to go on a rear bumper, bed mount, chase rack, etc.

I've only have mine for a short time and am currently building this one. I posted pics in another thread also, but thought I would share here too.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Get a PW. They are just plain sexy and you don't see them around that often...unlike a JK. Those things are all over the place.

jream2008

@SDDiver5: MY JK is dead sexy!

But I think a PW is the way to go. My JK is just not big enough. Just like Timgco, a little extra room is what is needed. A diesel would be pretty sweet, but the 6.4L should still be able to do whatever towing I need (I'm thinking potentially a couple of UTVs in a 20'+ trailer).

Thanks all!

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Power Wagon with a 4 wheel camper or Flippac would be awesome. Build it. The only thing I dislike about the Power Wagon is the bench....I never use my bench and like buckets so much better.

Taking A Trip

Moved from a JKU Rubicon to a PowerWagon. I LOVE the extra space and extra power, but it's 19' long ! Only about 6 " wider than my JK but its like driving in different time zones :)
The choice was easy for me as the Jeep struggled to tow my pop up in the mountains (it was ok elsewhere) . I chose the powerwagon over a 1/2 ton 4x4 because I want a slide in camper and didnt want to overload a 1/2 ton . If I was just going to pull a trailer I would have gone 1/2 ton for comfort and better MPG's

Hope that helps

2011powerwagon.jpg

Last edited:

Timgco

Adventurer
Here's some interior pics of the Laramie Power Wagon. You don't get the full center console to the dash, but each seat is the same as the non-Power Wagon Laramie. Heated/ cooled front seats only, heated steering wheel, full touch screen climate control, etc.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Ahh, cooled seats on the way to the river... very nice. I guess there are just certain things you give up if you want the manual t case levers. I wonder if the electronic ones fail very often.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Here's some interior pics of the Laramie Power Wagon. You don't get the full center console to the dash, but each seat is the same as the non-Power Wagon Laramie. Heated/ cooled front seats only, heated steering wheel, full touch screen climate control, etc.

That lever right there is one of the many great things to love about the Power Wagon. A real deal manual shifter! I still don’t see why they cannot offer a full length center console on the Power Wagon. It looks like there is plenty of real estate in the console side pocket to make room for a lever. The Silverado console has a similar opening on the side where it looks like a lever would fit without much retooling. I hate electric shift that everybody gets saddled with when taking a center console on GM and RAM trucks (I pay no attention to Ford).

Seems like a lever would fit just fine down in that side pocket without much drama to reach it
54298892.jpg

Sometime after the first of the year I’m looking at getting a new truck to replace my 2001 Silverado (after 13 years I am so tired of rowing the ZF 6 speed manual and living the extremely harsh ride of GM's overhyped IFS plus there is no room in the back seat for a forward facing baby seat without it resting on the rear window). A Power Wagon, Silverado 1500 WT1 or Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 are the rigs I am looking at. I really don’t need another offroadster like a PW or sure I want another horrible riding HD truck as a daily driver but this maybe my last new truck for a while so might as well get an anvil of a rig! We’ll see!

dogcar3

Observer
Get the Power Wagon. I love mine. Been through Moab. It is unbelievable what these pigs can do. The truck is usually more capable than the driver (or at least more than the drive wants to do with this nice of a rig), I know it is in my case. I have had mine for a bout 2.5 years and I still get excited every time I walk out to drive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles