Series IIs doing what they do best...

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Here's one of my friend's 109 starting up the RTI ramp at MAR and one of mine crossing a small creek up in Maine.
Jason T.

TeriAnn

Explorer
yubert said:
Those pop-top camper tops look cool. Was that a factory OE option?

The pop up top campers were not actually made by Land Rover. They were caravan conversions made by separate companies on new Land Rovers with the full approval of Land Rover, retaining full factory warranty. The Land Rover Dormobile was a conversion made by a company called Martin Walters. The relationship was close enough that Dormobiles were options that could be ordered directly from US dealers as a factory option during the 1960's.

Land Rover Dormobiles were built between 1960 and around 1974. The build records have been lost but best guess is about 500 of them were built during that time. They were quite pricey.

Percentage wise, Dormobiles are likely the longest traveled model of Land Rover sold. Most everyone who purchased a one new had long distance expedition travel in mind. Often such trips as around the world, the silk road or the length of Africa.

I have a section in my LR web site covering Dormobiles

Dormobile web site

topGraphic2.jpg

Yorker

Adventurer
TeriAnn said:
As a comparison I looked up the factory MPG ratings:
- 1991 Bronco 5L, 15MPG highway, 11 MPG city
- 1991 4WD F150, 16 MPH highway, 12MPG city.

iirc
1991 302 185hp@3800 270ftlbs@2400 those MPG ratings are probably with 3.55 diffs and OD tranny AODE or that Mazda 5 speed? Maybe 4.10s? I think '91 is still speed density in the trucks too.

You are running 4.7 diffs, .87 hrtc so that is about the same as running 4.10s without the benefit of an OD tranny. Plus you aren't running a truck tuned 302 are you?

Too many variables to get a clear cut comparison really, I guess we'll just have to look forward to your $1000 trip.

I've had a 5.0l set aside for a swap into my ambulance for ~10 years but I still can't decide to actually do it. ;) Every time I decide I'm definitely going to do it the price of fuel creeps up and or I get another idea as far as what engine to use.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
TeriAnn said:
Fully prepared long distance expedition rig + experienced off road driver - fuel = sitting at home & reading this forum. :(
you're coming to mendo even if i have to take up an offering for gas money! i wouldn't want to miss you and granny sitting around the campfire telling stories... :ylsmoke:

galen216

Adventurer
MAR 2007.

OK, so they are Series III's but they'll work. The red one is my old one and the white one is my friend's.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Shot at the 2006 National Rally:

As the trail leader Ralph heads down, he calls over the radio, "I wonder how deep this puddle is?". Splash, "It's about bumper deep" :)

100200528_Nv2Kp-M-3.jpg

Yorker

Adventurer
Since we are allowing Series IIIs etc:

Guy Fawkes ralley '06:

Howard Smith's Lightweight- doing what it does best lately. ;)
lightweight.jpg

3.jpg

My Brother and my friend Chris Miazga driving the '65:
myroverinterior.jpg

Fixing the '65...
chrisfixingblockedfuelline.jpg

Playing around in the blizzard 2-15-07:
2-15throughthewindscreenblowings-1.jpg

2-15throughthewindscreenblowingsnow.jpg

roadclosed.jpg

2-15cruiserrover.jpg

That is all that I have that are already hosted on Photobucket. Maybe I'll find more and upload them later.:REOutArchery02:

Yorker

Adventurer
ok found some more from Guy Fawkes '06 or '07

I can't remember who this belonged to but it was nice:
IMG_0216.jpg

This one belongs to one of the OVLR guys IIRC, has a 2.8l V6, and an awesome PTO winch, I think a Tulsa:
IMG_0218.jpg

guyfawkes88.jpg

can't remember who this 109 belonged to:
guyfawkes109.jpg

Fun little greasy hillclimb:
picfromjoe4.jpg

one of the ravines:
Img_0221.jpg

This truck needs no introduction:
IMG_0223.jpg

Another Canadian 88" this one with EFI 2.8l V6:
IMG_0219.jpg

Last edited:

ShearPin

Adventurer
Good timing for this post - spring seems to have finally arrived here in Southern, Ontario, Canada. I noticed some Series III's in the mix and figured I'd add some of mine with the Roverin' season ahead...

- Utah, Copper Canyon, Belize, Guatemala

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
ShearPin said:
Good timing for this post - spring seems to have finally arrived here in Southern, Ontario, Canada. I noticed some Series III's in the mix and figured I'd add some of mine with the Roverin' season ahead...

- Utah, Copper Canyon, Belize, Guatemala

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

OK, whats the story on the submarine picture?:REExeSwimmingHL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles