Series IIs doing what they do best...

Adventurer
Im STILL in the disassembly phase of my truck (65 SIIa 109) And havent been able to work on it much...work has really been kickin my butt.

Since Im truckless for the moment (sold the disco) and havent been been able to wheel...give me a hit that'll put my wheelin-withdrawals at ease by posting some pics of your SIIs in their natural habitat!

TeriAnn

Explorer
01001010 said:
Since Im truckless for the moment (sold the disco) and havent been been able to wheel...give me a hit that'll put my wheelin-withdrawals at ease by posting some pics of your SIIs in their natural habitat!

GRrcynDeChillyT.jpg

Please excuse the Defender

grAltDriver.jpeg

My alternate driver taking her turn behind the wheel

Moj073Dormies.jpg

Home is where you pop the top

Moj072Dormies.jpg

B2Bmoab.jpg

Please excuse the yellow Series I

GRMonumentV.jpg

GRDeathValley.jpg

GRmoab.jpg

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Teri Ann, How about some fresh pics. I have seen those a million times and would love to see some new ones.V/R,Louis

TeriAnn

Explorer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Nice pics...Where by chance was the second pic from the bottom taken?

Death valley. I was working my way up a mountain up from the valley when that picture was taken. I likely had one engine mount broken at the time. I broke the second one farther up the hill. It took me 1-1/2 days to get back down with an engine loose in the engine bay. I had to stop frequently and lever the engine off the fan shroud. I also moved rocks & filled in holes to smooth my passage. After that trip I started carrying spare engine mounts & some short jacks that can be used to move an engine about.

I now have mounts that can not separate without destroying the vehicle in the process.

TeriAnn

Explorer
FourByLand said:
Teri Ann, How about some fresh pics. I have seen those a million times and would love to see some new ones.V/R,Louis

Two of those pictures were taken in Jan '08 (Mojave trail). I would love to take a slew of new pictures and would be quite happy to do so if I had gas money. Contributions for gas $$ are more than welcome. Otherwise the best I could do for new pictures is stage fake off road pictures from around home. My Christmas present was fuel for my last trip.

Fully prepared long distance expedition rig + experienced off road driver - fuel = sitting at home & reading this forum. :(

Yorker

Adventurer
TeriAnn said:
Fully prepared long distance expedition rig + experienced off road driver - fuel = sitting at home & reading this forum. :(

What MPG has the Green Rover returned since the EFI conversion?

TeriAnn

Explorer
Yorker said:
What MPG has the Green Rover returned since the EFI conversion?

I have been plagued by teething problems since last year's conversion that showed me the folly of buying used electrical parts off ebay and Since finding hopefully all the problems have not been able to afford fuel for a long trip to get good measurement numbers from. Current cost to fill the tanks with regular at my local "cheapo" station = $151.20 and still climbing So I can not yet provide an accurate answer.

Pre conversion (Ford 302 with 500 cfm carb set up for economy) = 15 MPG (US gallons) highway & about 8 MPG stop & go.

Pre-pre conversion (LR Series III 2.25L engine) = 15 MPG highway & about 8 MPG stop & go.

Post conversion (1970 Ford 302 with 1991 Mustang EFI), best guess so far = about 17 -18 MPG highway, about 12ish - 13ish MPG stop & go. The engine runs a LOT smoother on rough trails.

As a comparison I looked up the factory MPG ratings:
- 1991 Bronco 5L, 15MPG highway, 11 MPG city
- 1991 4WD F150, 16 MPH highway, 12MPG city.

I think I'm doing a couple MPG better than this. It would take about $1000 worth of fuel on a single trip to get good readings.

Due to all the teething problems, I have gotten fairly good at trouble shooting a 1991 Mustang EFI system in the field. and know that in limp home mode I get 13 MPG highway which is fairly good MPG for a coiler V8 Land Rover

Teething problems:

EEC found dead at initial start up (used ebay)

Low pressure fuel pump found dead at start up (used ebay)

MAF out of spec & incorrect for the EFI (ebay- wrong year stated)

Throttle position sensor out of spec & wrong year throttle body (ebay- wrong year stated)

Idle air bypass valve not working properly (used ebay)

Low pressure fuel pump (sucks fuel out of tank & gives to high pressure pump) failed with about 1,500 miles on it (new- Carter). Fuel pump failure overloaded after market relay which ran both pumps. Replaced with factory ford fuel pump relay & modified wiring slightly.

Broken wire at connector base in O2 subharness
kept the computer from reading one bank & leaned it out a lot. (harness used ebay)

fuel injectors mostly clogged & unable to be cleaned in vehicle (used ebay)

Fuel pressure regulator not producing proper fuel pressure (replaced high pressure fuel pump first) (used ebay) Discovered that computer diagnostics does not check fuel pressure. If the right voltage is getting to the fuel pump the diagnostics does not catch pressure regulator related problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior