Fleetwood Neon

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Sorry Dave, don't mean to :gunt: hijack your thread:gunt:

Tried to re-size , but still nothing.
May be because I am uploading from the pc and not a host site ?? maybe....

Dave

Explorer
We had a chance to test out the changes I made to the camper and I can say they definitely helped. As I said earlier, I swapped in a digital thermostat, added a layer of Reflectix insulation under the mattress, and used a Sportsman blanket with the shiny side down over the roof of the bunk.

On Friday night, the temps dropped just below freezing. We set the thermostat on 60 and stayed comfortable all night. The digital thermostat was much better at regulating the temperature and we did not notice the drastic swings in temps that we did last weekend. There was also noticeable less cold air coming in from under the mattress...plus we had pillows this time.

On Saturday, I made some Reflectix cutouts to put in the windows of the bunk. The outside temps did not get as low as Friday night, but we kept the thermostat at 60. I can definitely say we noticed a difference with the cutouts in the windows. There were a couple times when I thought I was going to have to get up to kick down the thermostat.

$40 for a big roll, I'd say this Reflectix stuff is worth it and the $20 digital thermostat was also worth it.

No more outings planned until May. :(

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a good shake-down outing. I need to make the inserts for mine , too. Plus I am going to try some of the 1/8" insulation board under the bunk ends.
And I think I
ll have to look into the digital thermostate too...sounds like a good mod.....

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I had posted a message about Fleetwood trailers, and that i was looking into the Evolution series for my growing family.
What do you guys think of the quality of the Fleetwood compared to other pop-ups?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Adam Blaster,Have you looked over on RV.net in the Folding Trailer forum ? There are a few people with them.

Wurlitzer

compare and return to Fleetwood

First concratulation Dave. I'm planning some improvements to my NEON too and also change the thermostat for a digital one. I've already bought a WFCO 35 amps converter/charger, 30 amps 120 v power Inlet and outlet and power cord. They're not too expensive and comes with AC/DC breaker/fuse distribution panel.

Adam Blaster,
:Mechanic:
As of comparing Fleetwood with others, I suggest you go on the Fleetwood web site and read the section :Benefits of a Fleetwood Folding Camping Trailer / Advantages of a Fleetwood Folding Camping Trailer.
After that, go to other companies web sites and see the difference and you'll see for yourself. Pay attention to the lift mechanism, the frame and box construction, the overall weight, the canevas (the tent fabric) the advantage of sunbrella 302 tenting versus coated vinyl the competition use etc...

I don't sell these, I'm just very happy to own one. :camping:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Wurlitzer said:
Adam Blaster,
:Mechanic:
As of comparing Fleetwood with others, I suggest you go on the Fleetwood web site and read the section :Benefits of a Fleetwood Folding Camping Trailer

I don't sell these, I'm just very happy to own one. :camping:

I have read through most of that info, but i always have a hard time separating propaganda from actual facts. That's why i like hearing from actual owners. ;)
I do like their design overall, but i don't know if it is the exact unit for my family and i just yet.
One thing i did notice was how low that water tank sits below the frame...
Being into offroading a bit myself, i could see that getting ripped right off, or at least punctured by a rock or stick/log that i didn't see.
Granted, i'm probably not going to be taking the trailer i buy on any hard core offroad trails, but i will very likely be taking it onto rougher roads than you would find on a normal "camp site".

I still need to check out Kamparoo as well, as they seem somewhat beefy also, but might not have enough sleeping/living space for what i want/need.

Wurlitzer

You're absolutely right about the difficulty of seperating facts from propagenda, specially with dealers infomation flyers.
They filmed an episode of "How It's Made" in the fleetwood factory. Someone posted the clip on Youtube. They show where the water tank is installed, that can help you. I went on a big RV show last march, all the manufaturer where there, That's a good place where you can compare actual units, that's what I did.

Scott Brady

Founder
Congrats on the new trailer. I know that Doron Strassman and family have and use the same unit. He has lifted it and installed larger tires.

He even fabricated a second bunk, as he has two children.

euro.love

Adventurer
I just wanted to mention my Coleman Colorado, which is made by fleetwood is now 16 years old. I just purchased it and the quality is right on. It is very well made, and being as old as it is, it has held up over the years beautifully. I am currently beefing up the frame just because of extra abuse I am going to put it through. I would recommend anything made by fleetwood at this point.

Dave

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Congrats on the new trailer. I know that Doron Strassman and family have and use the same unit. He has lifted it and installed larger tires..

Scott, do you know if Doron Strassman has any pictures of his Neon posted on the Internet?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
From the files of BajaTaco -

L_cdd48.jpg

L_cdd47.jpg

L_cdd49.jpg

These are the only ones I recall seeing Dave. There may be others out there somewhere...... :peepwall:

Dave

Explorer
kcowyo said:
These are the only ones I recall seeing Dave. There may be others out there somewhere...... :peepwall:

Thanks KC! Either you have a fantastic memory or your Internet bookmarks file is massive and well organized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier